Do they make drop handlebars with a very short drop?

Old July 28th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Do they make drop handlebars with a very short drop?

Posted this in r.b.r. as well so I apologize if you see this twice, but
after posting it I realized it might be more appropriate here. So here
goes.

I know, odd question. Let me clarify. My wife is a triathlete who
usually rides a time trial bike. She's taking some time off, though,
and doing some recreational cycling on her old road bike. One things
she's encountering, though, is that even with a new fit her knees seem
to bump the drops sometimes.

Now obviously one solution would be to go with straight bars. Another
solution would be a totally different bike. But she loves the brake
levers on a road bike (the hand positioning feels more ergonomic), even
if she never gets into the drops. So my question, before we go the
route of trying to find her a new bike or something like that, is if
they make handlebars with a very short drop. Basically enough to grip
and attach a brake lever. I'm envisioning handlebars where the drop
ends shortly after the bottom of the brake/shifter lever.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Preston

Below is a link to a bad photoshop of what I'm envisioning.

http://static.flickr.com/65/20049257...df8204.jpg?v=0

Old July 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On 28 Jul 2006 13:01:11 -0700, wrote:

So my question, before we go the
route of trying to find her a new bike or something like that, is if
they make handlebars with a very short drop. Basically enough to grip
and attach a brake lever. I'm envisioning handlebars where the drop
ends shortly after the bottom of the brake/shifter lever.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Preston

Below is a link to a bad photoshop of what I'm envisioning.

http://static.flickr.com/65/20049257...df8204.jpg?v=0

It's easier to do that with a hacksaw or tubing cutter than it is to
do it with Photoshop.

I usually see these hacked bars inverted with the brake levers
mounted at the ends. They were popular with couriers for awhile.
--
zk
Old July 28th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rich Clark

wrote in message
oups.com...
Posted this in r.b.r. as well so I apologize if you see this twice, but
after posting it I realized it might be more appropriate here. So here
goes.

I know, odd question. Let me clarify. My wife is a triathlete who
usually rides a time trial bike. She's taking some time off, though,
and doing some recreational cycling on her old road bike. One things
she's encountering, though, is that even with a new fit her knees seem
to bump the drops sometimes.

Rotate the bars away from her knees, and reposition the levers to wherever
she needs them.

RichC

Old July 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark Hickey

"landotter" wrote:

wrote:

Now obviously one solution would be to go with straight bars. Another
solution would be a totally different bike. But she loves the brake
levers on a road bike (the hand positioning feels more ergonomic), even
if she never gets into the drops. So my question, before we go the
route of trying to find her a new bike or something like that, is if
they make handlebars with a very short drop. Basically enough to grip
and attach a brake lever. I'm envisioning handlebars where the drop
ends shortly after the bottom of the brake/shifter lever.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Preston

Below is a link to a bad photoshop of what I'm envisioning.

http://static.flickr.com/65/20049257...df8204.jpg?v=0

Ritchey Biomax Comps have a drop of about 13cm in the 42cm model which
is pretty shallow. You might also want to get some spacers or a longer
stem (if it's quill) to get the bars up a bit.

There is also the FSA Wing Pro Shallow Drop at 125mm, the Kalloy
HB-300 (traditional bars with no grooves) at 115mm, and the Salsa
Estrada at 121 (with a mere 65mm reach).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old July 29th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Mark Hickey wrote:

[snip]
the Kalloy
HB-300 (traditional bars with no grooves) at 115mm...

!!
Dang, that's shallow! Am I being a putz and not measuring properly?
It's still a c to c measure from the c of the tops to the c of the
drops right?

Old July 30th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark Hickey

"landotter" wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

[snip]
the Kalloy
HB-300 (traditional bars with no grooves) at 115mm...

!!
Dang, that's shallow! Am I being a putz and not measuring properly?
It's still a c to c measure from the c of the tops to the c of the
drops right?

Yep - and you're right, that IS a very shallow drop.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Brake change when converting to Drop Handlebars? Will Marks General 2 March 18th 06 02:07 PM
Drop bar replacements? stuart doc UK 105 December 31st 05 11:33 AM
ER - long bars make short girl happy Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 3 May 28th 04 09:40 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM