breathable/waterproof jacket

Old November 24th 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

Default breathable/waterproof jacket

Here in the Bay Area we're heading in to rainy season.

Looking for 2. Any recs most appreciated.

(1)lightweight and compressible. The O2 is not compressible to stuff it into a jersey pocket, let alone stuff other things like clif bars in too. My previous one (recently left in an airport) was from adidas. Weighed nothing and easily compressible.

(2) normal weight and easily compressible -- I have an old one from pearl but it's stiff although I can stuff it into a jersey pocket. I think it's lost some of its waterproofness and it never breathed very well.

Naturally, I want it all, including a moderately low price. The previous jackets were from outlet type sales. So $ instead of $$$.

Old November 24th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

try Campmor.com

I have a Redledge similar to a Campmor branded windbreaker. Fabric's surface is coated with a polymer generating fisheyes or matrix holes possibley over a nylon matrix or fisheye generator...something like that. No Goretex.

There's a slew of fabric names: see Seattle Fabrics

Jacket I have dampens in a long hard rain, doesn't leak. Most protection in the low cost area is on shoulders with less along sides. The dampness may be from my body moisture....butbutbut I could feel the fabric breath when I wore it as new.

I have goretex lines and polycoat rain pants that are excellent at 40-$50. If buyinbg rainpants, buy with inside liners oh thighs, zips on lower shins. Liners allow greater body moisture escape like a flue.

N doahn forget an Outdoor Research gortex hat - PRIMO ! or sewurown witg Seattle...Seattle has a balclava black nylon stretch FEELS LIKE COTTON. if urold bala is shot. Sew several, rob a bank, becomne a terrorist. De Rigeur.

All get packed, OR's hat is a canoe/kayak staple to muh head.

There are goretex socks. ow $ with SF and a shoe tree.....

sewing gore is technical...you'd need search the net for advice.
Old November 25th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...87?cm_vc=PDPZ2

best buy but wrong colors...needs a dayglo yellow mesh vest

try asking Backpacker mag ...BP is SF so they would know best.

when there I would wax eloquently o the beeeaaauuuuteeeful weather drawing an emphatic disagreeable chorus of naysaying....and poeple on the other side recovering from rainpsychosis
Old November 25th 12, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 24, 1:34 pm, yirgster wrote:
Here in the Bay Area we're heading in to rainy season.

Looking for 2. Any recs most appreciated.

(1)lightweight and compressible. The O2 is not compressible to stuff it into a jersey pocket, let alone stuff other things like clif bars in too. My previous one (recently left in an airport) was from adidas. Weighed nothing and easily compressible.

(2) normal weight and easily compressible -- I have an old one from pearl but it's stiff although I can stuff it into a jersey pocket. I think it's lost some of its waterproofness and it never breathed very well.

Naturally, I want it all, including a moderately low price. The previous jackets were from outlet type sales. So $ instead of $$$.

I do not believe in the magical paridoxical combination of
"breathable / waterproof".

However, the I get some ventilation (not enough) from my... um, I
think it's a Perfomance house brand jacket - with huge pit zips all
the way open. I think it was ~$100 (might probably have gotten it on
sale). It rolls up tight into its own inverted rear pocket (mesh on
inside).
Old November 25th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I paddle in this suit at 75 degrees air temp 45 degrees water....15 minutes in 45 the body chills out to hypothermia, dead in 45 minutes. I fall in n I stay warm. At 75 I'm warm but not uncomfortable. GoreTex !

http://www.kokatat.com/activity/sea-...ipper-men.html

The poly coat is amazing...so inexpensive but no sweating inside the rain gear just warm as cold rain pours down. I dunno abt cycling tho..the heat and moisture output is high abt 3-4 times higher than paddling yawl need a highly vented jacket with a breathablke 'roof' surface eg the shoulders and hood or hat. depends on your physiogamy, how hard you ride, how cold average air temp with rain...but for $49 give it a try.

Gore gloves also designed for skiing best bought in June when Cmor gives em away.

Camping GoreTex is a trip. Cold rain, windy, you're dry warm while the world drips.
Old November 25th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

?

http://www.kokatat.com/products/jack...reeze-men.html
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or...html?limit=all
Old November 25th 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:49:35 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
?

http://www.kokatat.com/products/jack...reeze-men.html

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or...html?limit=all

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/SUGXMMHN

and Gore back a page above
Old December 7th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I looked at them all. The kayaking suite listed for $1000! Could that have been a typo???

Was a little worried about the backpacking/hiking jackets wrt their cut for cycling.

Almost got the Sugoi Majik, suggested by datakoll, but instead discovered the Sugoi Hydrolite. $62.44 at amazon. Worn it a couple of times and I like it so far. Much too early for any more final judgment. It's light (150g?) but definitely not as light as the Adidas I had lost.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Old December 7th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

outstanding ! doahn crumple it up or wash with detergents in a machine.

search for: Outdoor Research - hats....the Sombrero is standard NW equipment n try a ski mask. Roll it mup into a watch cap or down for COLD. A light one.

Kokotat is a supportive company...K supports the sport from Arcata which is college for timber cruisers and mostly underwater.

The suit startles tourista...like launching my yak which is 18' and full expedition into 40 degree water before a bus full of tourista really blows them away as off course I doahn feel no cold. And yakkers around the Aleutians doahn feel no cold either not thru the suit. With a Polar tech fleece underwear, you ar comfy floating amid icebergs. Where you would be dead in 10m minutes without the suit.

I bought mine on sale from REI plus a 20% discount.

Sea kayaking on the adventurous level is a lot like hanggliding or avalanche backcountry skiing ceptin locally we have the Coast Guard and GPS Help alarms.

But totally slightly more than hi end CF.

When at the limit, yakking is decision action decision action......with an occasional surprise...never turn your back on the asphalt...