How to stiffen too soft toe-straps?

Old September 20th 19, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How to stiffen too soft toe-straps?

On 9/20/2019 3:09 AM, wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 5:22:37 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Why am I not surprised? ;-)

I'm glad you've been paying attention!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 23:22:35 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

Thanks. I guess I should pay more attention to such details. I don't
see or go on club rides. Mostly, I see commuters, tourists, students,
surfers, homeless, and a few racers. Few of these riders seem to use
toe clips and straps. I'll ask some friends who do go on club rides
for their observations.

Drivel: Possible solution for construction boot toe clips:
https://www.conney.com/product/ellwood-safety-steel-toe-guard-pair

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 21st 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

Thanks. I guess I should pay more attention to such details. I don't
see or go on club rides. Mostly, I see commuters, tourists, students,
surfers, homeless, and a few racers. Few of these riders seem to use
toe clips and straps. I'll ask some friends who do go on club rides
for their observations.

Drivel: Possible solution for construction boot toe clips:
https://www.conney.com/product/ellwood-safety-steel-toe-guard-pair

People still use them, but among the commuter set, its usually a step in system or straight platforms without clips. https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/04/...o-essay-182506 In one of those pictures, there are a bunch of people with toe clips and then other pictures where its all platforms sans clips or clip-in.

The last time I used a toe clip was when I was riding in an ortho boot -- a big plastic toe clip that would fit over the foot of the boot without killing my toes, which were just in a sock. When my legs aren't broken, its SPDs or a Look variant.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 21st 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:34:13 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 16:39:52 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Anyone here know a way to stiffen leather toe-straps without wrecking them?
Cheers

I don't know, but Google finds quite a few links for hardening leather
that look useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+stiffen+leather
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+harden+leather

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

If you want REALLY stiff straps that don't stretch, I suggest using
perforated metal straps instead of leather.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perforated-Metal-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917
Install some kind of buckle, clip, swaged snap, or bolt to secure the
strap. Add foam padding where needed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

I still use toe-straps, but don't tighten them. ...so I don't really know why I still bother.
Too much stop and go in traffic these days to really use them. Back in the day it was to keep me from accidentally 'lifting' my foot from the pedal.
Now that I'm pretty much "plod-along-Cassidy" (Hey-up, fleabiscuit!) I don't know why I bother.

pH in Aptos
Old September 21st 19, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 20/09/2019 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2019 8:08 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

Funny. I switched from toe straps to clipless for exactly the same
reason. I forgot to loosen the toe straps and fell over at a stop
sign :-) --

Cheers,

John B.

Neither is better, just different. I like toeclips with leather soled
dress shoes for errands and short rides. SiDi/ Look are preferred for
longer actual rides.

For a half-way house I like the look of power bands.

https://www.amazon.com/Fixed-Bicycle.../dp/B00NSCLS3A
Old September 21st 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

Thanks. I guess I should pay more attention to such details. I don't
see or go on club rides. Mostly, I see commuters, tourists, students,
surfers, homeless, and a few racers. Few of these riders seem to use
toe clips and straps. I'll ask some friends who do go on club rides
for their observations.

This particular ride probably had a higher percentage in toe clips than
our average club ride. This ride meets at 10 AM, so its riders are
pretty much all retired, which may affect their choice of pedal style.
Other club rides, especially the ones with younger and faster riders,
may be different.

However, I don't want to imply that the bikes are antiques. There were
probably five carbon fiber bikes on the ride. I think only two people
besides myself were using friction shifters. There were several disc
brake road bikes. (Our bike club seemed to go on a bike buying binge
this year.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I mostly ride with loose toe straps. I think they're still valuable in
keeping the foot on the pedal in certain situations, like unseen bumps,
jumping an obstacle or pothole, etc.

I tighten mine down only if I'm going to be putting out a hard effort
for an extended period of time. At my age, that's now pretty rare.

I like the versatility of clips and straps. They work with every pair of
shoes I own, except for my heaviest boots. And at one time or another, I
use every bike while wearing "civilian" clothing.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 22nd 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:57:56 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I like the versatility of clips and straps. They work with every pair of
shoes I own, except for my heaviest boots. And at one time or another, I
use every bike while wearing "civilian" clothing.

That's why I'm still wearing slot cleats.

I was all gung-ho when clipless cleats were introduced at a
Mohawk-Hudson Wheelmen meeting, and thought "That's what I'm going to
buy when my present pedals wear out!"

Aside from the realization that I'd have to change my pedals at the
city limit -- I'm still using the pedals I'd just bought. They were a
much higher quality than the pair they replaced.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Toe Straps [email protected] Techniques 17 April 6th 09 08:39 PM
what are they, soft? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 17 May 31st 07 07:22 AM
Soft cranks? Dieter Britz Techniques 4 May 24th 07 11:40 PM
fs: Toe-Straps Mike Marketplace 0 July 28th 06 06:24 PM
If soft seats are not good, why have soft shorts? wle Techniques 22 May 24th 06 07:35 PM