Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

Old November 7th 14, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 17:10:46 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/6/2014 4:23 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Tue, 04 Nov 2014
18:23:30 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/4/2014 12:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:36:30 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Can you
remember people pushing un-powered lawn mowers? Clipping hedges with
big manual clippers? Walking to the store to buy some groceries?
Lifting garage doors by using their muscles? Raking leaves using an
actual rake? Shoveling snow using an actual shovel? Washing dishes by
hand.

I don't think there has been a tremendous drop in physical activity over the past few
decades -- not if you look at how urban adults actually lived in the
'50s and '60s.
Most adults smoked like chimneys and drank like fish. Scotch and water
were drunk
in equal proportions around many homes. Fathers were handy, but the yard
work was
done by the kids. That's what kids were for. People drove big, heavy
cars and didn't
walk or ride bikes. We Californians did not shovel snow. Ward Clever sat
around in
a Cardigan and smoked a pipe, and he worked at a desk all week. Ward
was trim --
and good looking!

By my memories, there was a lot more physical work back then. In the
'50s, we lived on a small city lot; about 1960 we moved to a much larger
suburban lot. My dad pushed a reel-type mower on the small lot. On the
new lot, he (and we kids) put the entire lawn in by hand, shoveling
dirt, sifting out stones, seeding and weeding. It was a couple years
before he caved in and bought his first powered rotary mower. Dad was
also an avid gardener, but never owned a roto-tiller; he spaded and
forked his large gardens, and yes, we helped. We also helped care for
and harvest and preserve apples from six overgrown trees.

Dad never had a snow blower until he was in his '60s. He and we
shoveled snow by hand. We also went around the neighborhood offering to
shovel drives for a couple bucks. Screwdrivers and saws were entirely
manual, and nails were driven by a hammer, not a nail gun. That
included when we built our garage.

Beyond all that work, it seems to me that recreation was more active.
Touch football (in the street, telephone pole to telephone pole) was an
almost daily activity for the neighborhood teens, and Dad sometimes
played "steady quarterback." Family gatherings involved softball or
wiffle ball, badminton and volleyball and sometimes swimming. Adults
made sure that kids of all ages were somehow included. Indoors in the
winter, we played table tennis several times a week for years and years,
at an activity level that left me and everyone else dripping.

And my brothers and I had the second largest paper route for the metro
area newspaper. Delivered by bike, of course, unless the snow was too
deep and we had to walk.

It's possible that we were unusually active - above average, so to
speak. But the family next door to us now has two teenage boys. Nice,
kids, but they are nowhere near as active as we were. And you can tell
that by looking at them.

Kidding aside, the obesity issue is complicated, particularly with kids.
My personal belief is that in adults, it is a function of diet, stress
and to a lesser extent exercise.

I do suspect that diet is a bigger influence. Exercise of almost any
type just doesn't consume that many calories, and food can pump calories
back in very easily. From
http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...mighty-calorie
:

"Cyclists notoriously overestimate how many calories they're burning,"
says Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, director of sports nutrition at University
of Pittsburgh Medical Center. "If you eat an energy bar and drink a
sports drink on a moderate ride, you've effectively cancelled out any
calorie burn."

IIRC, there's evidence that regular exercise boosts your basal metabolic
rate, at least partly because muscle burns more energy than fat; so
there may be benefits to exercise beyond the simplest calorie counts.
But I think that if a person wants to lose weight, eating less (i.e.
portion control) is the place to start.

I wonder how much difference central heating has made?
When I was young, heating was something that you worked to provide.
Therefore you didn't waste heat by heating a house more than was
necessary, and burned quite a few calories just keeping warm.
Now, with central heating being commonplace, people keep their homes
warmer, and that discourages exercise, instead of encouraging it, as a
cooler home did.

Indeed.
One mid-January week in northern Wisconsin in a cabin with a
fireplace cured me of any romance in wood heat. At around
0F, it's four solid hours of cutting/splitting/hauling wood.
Every day.

That was 35 years ago and I am not ready for a redux.

The great benefit of heating with wood is that it warms you twice.
Once when you cut it and once when you burn it.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 7th 14, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/6/2014 5:23 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

I wonder how much difference central heating has made?
When I was young, heating was something that you worked to provide.
Therefore you didn't waste heat by heating a house more than was
necessary, and burned quite a few calories just keeping warm.
Now, with central heating being commonplace, people keep their homes
warmer, and that discourages exercise, instead of encouraging it, as a
cooler home did.

Coincidentally, we're just into heating season here. And as has often
been the case, if we're just sitting around early in the heating season,
setting the thermostat to 70 Fahrenheit sometimes leaves us feeling
chilly, even though 70 should be fine.

I felt that way the other day. So I got up and did some pushups. That
heated me right up, and I felt nicely warm the rest of the evening.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 8th 14, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 00:13:43 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Frank Krygowski considered Thu, 06 Nov 2014
23:03:03 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/6/2014 5:23 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

I wonder how much difference central heating has made?
When I was young, heating was something that you worked to provide.
Therefore you didn't waste heat by heating a house more than was
necessary, and burned quite a few calories just keeping warm.
Now, with central heating being commonplace, people keep their homes
warmer, and that discourages exercise, instead of encouraging it, as a
cooler home did.

Coincidentally, we're just into heating season here. And as has often
been the case, if we're just sitting around early in the heating season,
setting the thermostat to 70 Fahrenheit sometimes leaves us feeling
chilly, even though 70 should be fine.

I felt that way the other day. So I got up and did some pushups. That
heated me right up, and I felt nicely warm the rest of the evening.

Sorta underlines my point.
Of course, not that long ago, more effort was required for normal
household chores, and that kept people warmer, as well as burning
calories.
I strongly suspect that part of becoming used to colder temperatures
is the body adjusting the base metabolic rate to burn more energy just
to keep itself warm, even without the deliberate effort.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...bodcon.html#c1
for a partial answer.

I have also read that shivering is a body function that uses energy.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5102015AAh6oxq
estimates that one can burn ~400 calories/hour shivering and breathing
cold air. On the other hand in an environment of 81 degrees F burned
an additional 239 calories a day more than when kept at 71.6 degrees.
It also appears that fat people can withstand colder temperatures than
skinny people.

But apparently the secret is to turn down the thermostat and not add
clothing. If the house is cold enough that you are shivering then you
are burning more calories.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 9th 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 23:54:44 +0000, Clive George wrote:

On 06/11/2014 23:10, AMuzi wrote:

Indeed.
One mid-January week in northern Wisconsin in a cabin with a fireplace
cured me of any romance in wood heat. At around 0F, it's four solid
hours of cutting/splitting/hauling wood. Every day.

Crappy insulation? The cabin I've stayed in for skiing holidays in in
Norway gets ridiculously hot off not much wood at all. Just logs with
wool between them and windows with an interior and exterior pane.

I spent a month in Sweden many moons ago. That was hot as hell too. You
could watch birds freeze out of the sky whilst sweating.
--
davethedave
Old January 21st 15, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_3_]

If it weren't for America, this troll would be cleaning Nazi toilets...

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 10:42:15 -0800 (PST)
References: baad3c90-ca77-452b-95b2-85af973c725f googlegroups.com m372r7$jt0$1 dont-email.me iipe5apubvh0vgtco3fopa5omrlfr1uai3 4ax.com 51217142436712722.612667spoo-flarn.com news.eternal-september.org m38bff$2rq$1 dont-email.me 7e26a931-4fe2-4052-b6d5-e948b473d74d googlegroups.com m39k5n$gnk$1 dont-email.me rfeh5a56iggcdfrqoj1dnj2g7sidsagh0o 4ax.com m3ampe$q6$1 dont-email.me 198c02d0-45fc-46d1-ad8c-ae58c4a1b550 googlegroups.com m3arpj$l0o$1 dont-email.me k2ij5ap713ri9b1uc0t6nsvdv78vmim6b4 4ax.com hb-dnVlJQKABpsfJnZ2dnUVZ7q6dnZ2d brightview.co.uk
Subject: Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light
From: Andre Jute fiultra1 yahoo.com

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:00:48 PM UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 05/11/2014 06:50, John B. Slocomb wrote:

The major problem with any form of exercise as a weight control
program is that you have to work so hard and so long to lose one Big
Mac and if you have the large fries it gets even worse.

Are the USians in this group aware of the portion sizes in
restaurants/diners over there compared to here? They're enormous.

Nothing new in that. During WW2 American soldiers in Britain were rationed *down* to more than double the calories permitted to the host nation.

Andre Jute

Old January 21st 15, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_3_]

You cannot delete duplicate posts on UseNet, idiot...

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 01:02:29 -0800 (PST)
References: 51217142436712722.612667spoo-flarn.com news.eternal-september.org m38bff$2rq$1 dont-email.me 7e26a931-4fe2-4052-b6d5-e948b473d74d googlegroups.com m39k5n$gnk$1 dont-email.me rfeh5a56iggcdfrqoj1dnj2g7sidsagh0o 4ax.com m3ampe$q6$1 dont-email.me 198c02d0-45fc-46d1-ad8c-ae58c4a1b550 googlegroups.com m3arpj$l0o$1 dont-email.me k2ij5ap713ri9b1uc0t6nsvdv78vmim6b4 4ax.com hb-dnVlJQKABpsfJnZ2dnUVZ7q6dnZ2d brightview.co.uk smhl5ap8modugu3j044b37hovko78gfkq4 4ax.com m3ejkv$atl$1 dont-email.me e7e8e04c-3cb5-4a24-8f2b-68c76af39e9c googlegroups.com
From: Andre Jute fiultra1 yahoo.com

Duplicate post. Deleted.

Old January 22nd 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 10:40:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
big snip

Why is it unsafe to take the lane on the West Coast? I'm on the West Coast, and I take the lane every day (at least in some places).

I think what you mean to say is that there is no need to take the lane (regardless of region) where there is adequate room for cars to pass safely while riding as far right as practicable. It may also be unsafe to take the lane even when allowed under the law (prevent unsafe passing, preparing for a turn, road hazard, etc.) depending on conditions. You, Frank and the rest of the world will debate when it is really "too" unsafe to lawfully take the lane. Rather than calling someone a gutter bunny, I prefer to see what the conditions are like. OTOH, there are gutter bunnies in the world . . .

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 22nd 15, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/21/2015 9:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 10:40:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
big snip

Why is it unsafe to take the lane on the West Coast? I'm on the West Coast, and I take the lane every day (at least in some places).

I think what you mean to say is that there is no need to take the lane (regardless of region) where there is adequate room for cars to pass safely while riding as far right as practicable. It may also be unsafe to take the lane even when allowed under the law (prevent unsafe passing, preparing for a turn, road hazard, etc.) depending on conditions. You, Frank and the rest of the world will debate when it is really "too" unsafe to lawfully take the lane. Rather than calling someone a gutter bunny, I prefer to see what the conditions are like. OTOH, there are gutter bunnies in the world . . .

There certainly are. Many bicyclists - perhaps most - believe they have
no right to use any pavement more than three feet from the right edge of
the road, at least when any motor vehicle is within 100 yards behind
them. I've seen many cyclists risk their life to honor that imaginary rule.

--
- Frank Krygowski