SKS RENNKOMPRESSOR: A superior, recommended floor pump

Old December 6th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default SKS RENNKOMPRESSOR: A superior, recommended floor pump

A floor pump I really like, to the extent that we have two of them, is the SKS Rennkompressor. It has several available heads, but the best one is a double-hole head with a flip lever; I imagine that it won't last as long as the also available brass and steel heads, and that in a few years the plastic and rubber double-hole head will have to be replaced, but that doesn't bother me, as I have spare parts laid in, and the Rennkompressor is famous for having been rebuildable for about half a century now. It's an aesthetically, kinesthetically and operationally pleasing pump and, of course, its speed leaves those miniature abominations curled up and dying in its dust, which helps a lot if you're trying to fill 622x60mm Big Apples.

On this page
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor/
you can see the pump, same as you see on the TdF, all it's four heads -- the one I like, called the Multi Valve, is second from the left (as I say, likely the least long-lived but also the most convenient) and below that you can click for the amazingly complete available replacement parts list.

Mine came from one of the two German dealers I like and cost about 50 Euro delivered to my door in Ireland.

None of the spares I laid in have been required in the ten years or so since I bought the pumps, and people who bought them on my recommendation are also very pleased with the SKS Renkompressor. The only criticism I ever heard is that the analogue manometer dial near the folding footplate is distant and small and not very finely graduated for those who want to pump up balloons and other low-pressure tyres because the pump is primarily intended for putting 15 or 16 bar in narrow racing tyres with a couple of quick strokes. That doesn't bother me, because by the time I want to use the pump I'm wearing my cycling spectacles, which are optimized to making eye contact with a motorist entering from a T-junction 30 or 40 feet away, so I have no problem reading the dial, and I'm a belt and braces man who anyway checks with an electronic gauge as well.

A superior, recommended floor pump.

Andre Jute
There's a reason so many racing teams use the SKS Rennkompressor
Old December 6th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 3:26:02 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Mine is 32 years old.

Lou
Old December 6th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

My Silca is 40 years old, but I still prefer the budget Performance Hurricane with the Topeak Smarthead. Pro teams used compressed air. http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/201...700_80_670.jpg

I'm sure the Rennkompressor is a fine pump, but these days, you can get a lot of fine, durable pumps in the same price range. I would like to see the stats on pumps-to-inflation.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 6th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/6/2018 1:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

So is my Nashbar floor pump. It's somewhere around that age, anyway.

A floor pump isn't a very complicated item. It's easy to get them right.
There are not many components that wear, and there's no real motivation
to save grams and thus make it fragile.

I think I replaced my hose and head after about 25 years. I switched to
a Topeak "smart" head that clamps on either a presta or schrader valve,
no adjustment necessary. I find that's sometimes slightly unreliable,
requiring jiggling it a little to get it to work right.

But the pump itself is fine.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 6th 18, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/6/2018 2:50 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/6/2018 1:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

But I suppose if you're into conspicuous consumption, there's this:
http://luxurylaunches.com/other_stuf...l-ever-see.php

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 7th 18, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:53:58 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But I suppose if you're into conspicuous consumption, there's this:
http://luxurylaunches.com/other_stuf...l-ever-see.php

A veritable bargain compared to an electric indoor public bicycle pump
for $1,114:
https://parkwarehouse.com/product/electric-public-bike-pump/?attribute_pa_537-power-option=120v-50-60hz-north-america
or the student proof manual pump for $365:
https://www.bikefixation.com/product/indoor-public-bike-pump

Don't forget the $1,790 water bottle filling station:
https://www.bikefixation.com/product/bottle-fill-station

Tired of loaning tools that seem to disappear? For only $915, you can
put your loaner tools on a wire rope leash:
https://www.bikefixation.com/product/deluxe-public-work-stand

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 7th 18, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Also in much lower price ranges. My Zefal floor pump with gauge cost me
$22 and shows no signs of wear after about four years. I even use it to
pump up car tires because I like it better than our very tired floor
pump. It's got a head that can be switched between Presta and Schrader.

... I would like to see the stats on pumps-to-inflation.

It's all a trade-off between muscular pumping and more strokes. Just
like mashing versus spinning on a bicycle. Some people do not like or
can't handle a pump with high volume per stroke, especially once they
get to the 100psi range.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 7th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick[_2_]

A question about floor pumps with the gauge down at the foot of the pump. Does that position make the gauge more susceptible to moisture contamination interfering with the gauge accuracy? I was surprised with the water buildup from 2 weeks of semidaily operation in my park pump- to the point that I took the top fitting off, popped the piston/rod section off and left it upside down in the sun for the remainder of the day to clear out the accumulation. Pat
Old December 7th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 10:03:44 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

It's all a trade-off between muscular pumping and more strokes. Just
like mashing versus spinning on a bicycle. Some people do not like or
can't handle a pump with high volume per stroke, especially once they
get to the 100psi range.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I remember having the Zefal MTB frame pump. It was fantastic for pumping up t he high volume low pressure MTB tires but what a pain to pump up a high pressure road bike tire.

Then again I once used it to pump up a guy's full-size car tire enough to get him to a gas station without cutting the car tire. That Zefal MTB pump was very rugged and durable. It was very similar to the silver aluminium body road bike pump = HP if I remember. The HP was fantastic too. I had one that I salvaged after it was run over by a car. I drove a dowel the same diameter as the bore of the pump down the inside of the pump and then reinstalled the pump handle (after removing the dowel of course) and that pump worked for many years after. I sold it with a bicycle.

Cheers
Old December 7th 18, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/7/2018 10:40 AM, patrick wrote:
A question about floor pumps with the gauge down at the foot of the pump. Does that position make the gauge more susceptible to moisture contamination interfering with the gauge accuracy? I was surprised with the water buildup from 2 weeks of semidaily operation in my park pump- to the point that I took the top fitting off, popped the piston/rod section off and left it upside down in the sun for the remainder of the day to clear out the accumulation. Pat

I've never experienced that problem, and my floor pump with its bottom
mounted gauge lives in a basement that gets pretty humid from time to time.

Most common pressure gauges are made almost entirely of brass, which
isn't bothered much by moisture. The pressurized air has access to only
the inside of the bourdon tube in the gauge, not to the gears, dial, etc.

I don't plan to worry about this.

--
- Frank Krygowski