Blue railway signals?

Old December 18th 18, 09:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg

Default Blue railway signals?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 02:18:53 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:00:21 -0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 13:33, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about
8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs looking
identical. You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from green.

I suspect they don't look *identical*, just not as distinct as to
someone with normal colour vision. They would use the position to
confirm which is which.

The only colour blind person I know says red and green look IDENTICAL
(presumably in his eyes the red and green receptors are shorted together
somehow). They're only different if one is lighter than the other, but
then light green and light red are the same, and dark red and dark green
are the same, so that might depend on the traffic light design and the
position of the sun.

Interesting. According to wikipedia, some forms of color
blindness cant see red at all so that they can't even see that
the red light on a traffic light is lit, it looks like its not lit.
Tho they can see green fine, so all they have to do is
know that if no lights are visible, it must be showing red.

That's no good, because you're very likely not to notice the traffic light is there at all. If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only looking for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

And that Romania does in fact ban the color blind from
driving. But the color blind are trying to get that overturned.

It would be interesting to see if the number of accidents changes if they did that.
Old December 18th 18, 09:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 01:10:52 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

Correct. Which is why colour-blindness is not even notifiable to the
DVLA. Driving a train is of course totally different as braking needs
be commenced way earlier and the position of the light cannot be
determined at that point.

I'm not colour blind, and I don't look directly at the traffic lights.
see red or green out of the corner of my eye and act accordingly. If
they
suddenly became the same or very similar colours,

That isnt what happens with most colorblind people.

And its never suddenly with any of them, they are born with it.

I'd make mistakes regularly.

Yes, some colorblind people do, but its normally only
with trivial stuff like not being able to pick matching
sox or less frequently wearing contrasting colors that
don't really go together that only normally sighted
people notice.

Are you saying a colour blind person already knows to look carefully at
things?

The microscopic subset of people that can't distinguish
between red and green do in fact use which of the
column of lights is lit instead of the color.

Which means they aren't paying as much attention to the rest of the road
in front of them as properly sighted folk do.

And they still don't run into anyone or run over anyone.

Old December 18th 18, 09:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

lights. I see red or green out of the corner of my eye and act
accordingly. If they suddenly became the same or very similar colours,

That isnt what happens with most colorblind people.

And its never suddenly with any of them, they are born with it.

I'd make mistakes regularly.

Yes, some colorblind people do, but its normally only
with trivial stuff like not being able to pick matching
sox or less frequently wearing contrasting colors that
don't really go together that only normally sighted
people notice.

Are you saying a colour blind person already knows to look carefully
at things?

The microscopic subset of people that can't distinguish
between red and green do if fact use which of the
column of lights is lit instead of the color.

I can't think of where else colour and position are that important.

The most obvious is with signalling to aircraft
in the days before radio communication was
used. They used red or green light to indicate
whether you were allowed to land or not
depending on what else was using the runway.

the radio was invented first so that's just stupid ,
and what did they do in the day time , yell out the plane window ,
what a freakin jerk nosed pig footed ear grabbing habit face

Was that supposed to be English?

Nope, canuck.

Old December 18th 18, 10:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 07:49:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Was that supposed to be English?

Nope, canuck.

You two inseparable prize idiots in bed together again? BG

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Old December 18th 18, 10:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 07:48:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

And they still don't run into anyone or run over anyone.

And you still can't get the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock out of your
toothless senile gob, Rot! BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Old December 18th 18, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

They stand out like dogs balls and you can usually
see the set of lights for the cross road too.

If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still
being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only looking
for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

But you would normally see a whole set of lights.
normally 4 for your road and you can usually see
at least two for the cross road too.

And that Romania does in fact ban the color blind from
driving. But the color blind are trying to get that overturned.

It would be interesting to see if the number of accidents changes if they
did that.

Unlikely to change much given that its only about 1% of males
that are completely green/red color blind. The one that is 6%
of males aren't completely green/red color blind, they are just
much less sensitive to green than normal people so that in
reduced light situations dark green cars appear to be black.
But traffic lights are bright green, not dark green, and bright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_...olor_blindness

Old December 18th 18, 11:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg

They're black, and blend in with all the other ****e the councils put up. I see no reason to look for anything other than lights.

If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still
being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only looking
for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

But you would normally see a whole set of lights.
normally 4 for your road and you can usually see
at least two for the cross road too.

If they're all red and I can't see red, I see no lights.

And that Romania does in fact ban the color blind from
driving. But the color blind are trying to get that overturned.

It would be interesting to see if the number of accidents changes if they
did that.

Unlikely to change much given that its only about 1% of males
that are completely green/red color blind. The one that is 6%
of males aren't completely green/red color blind, they are just
much less sensitive to green than normal people so that in
reduced light situations dark green cars appear to be black.
But traffic lights are bright green, not dark green, and bright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_...olor_blindness

Then why not just make the 1% banned from driving?
Old December 18th 18, 11:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

They're black,

Yep.

and blend in with all the other ****e the councils put up.

Nope.

I see no reason to look for anything other than lights.

No need to look for them, they stand out like dogs balls.

If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still
being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only looking
for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

But you would normally see a whole set of lights.
normally 4 for your road and you can usually see
at least two for the cross road too.

If they're all red

They never are for long and even you would
notice the other stopped cars even if they were.

and I can't see red, I see no lights.

If that's actually a problem, presumably
they wouldn't pass their driving test.

And that Romania does in fact ban the color blind from
driving. But the color blind are trying to get that overturned.

It would be interesting to see if the number of accidents changes if
they
did that.

Unlikely to change much given that its only about 1% of males
that are completely green/red color blind. The one that is 6%
of males aren't completely green/red color blind, they are just
much less sensitive to green than normal people so that in
reduced light situations dark green cars appear to be black.
But traffic lights are bright green, not dark green, and bright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_...olor_blindness

Then why not just make the 1% banned from driving?

Because they clearly do fine in everywhere else where they
arent banned or fail to pass their drivers license test.

Old December 18th 18, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:54:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two prize idiots' abnormal endless drivel unread

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Old December 18th 18, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:19:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 123 lines of absolutely idiotic bull**** unread again

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shippe the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 04:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 02:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM