Blue railway signals?

Old December 18th 18, 11:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Mike Humphrey

Default Blue railway signals?

Steve Walker wrote:
It matter for railways due to needing to determine the colour from a
long distance, due to the long stopping distance of a train. It is fine
for a colourblind person to drive a car, as the stopping distance is
short enough for the driver to get close enough to determint the
position of the light on traffic light.

Perhaps more importantly, road signals are two-aspect. Anything that's
not green means stop - if you're close enough to worry about whether
it's amber or red, you're close enough to see if it's the middle or top
light. Also the "green" is actually a blue-green, there's enough blue in
it to make a very clear contrast with red, even for people with
red-green colour-blindness (like me).
Other signals also have non-colour cues - for example the motorway
warning signs flash amber up and down for a warning, but red
side-to-side for a lane or road closure.

On the railways, you need to distinguish yellow (stop at the next
signal) from red (stop here) in the dark, rain, snow or fog, while
travelling at 100mph or more. Perfect colour vision is mandatory to work
on the railway.

Mike

Old December 20th 18, 01:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:19:20 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:54:42 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 02:18:53 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:00:21 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

On 16/12/2018 13:33, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for
that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's
about
8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it
until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs
looking
identical. You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from
green.

I suspect they don't look *identical*, just not as distinct as to
someone with normal colour vision. They would use the position to
confirm which is which.

The only colour blind person I know says red and green look IDENTICAL
(presumably in his eyes the red and green receptors are shorted
together
somehow). They're only different if one is lighter than the other,
but
then light green and light red are the same, and dark red and dark
green
are the same, so that might depend on the traffic light design and the
position of the sun.

Interesting. According to wikipedia, some forms of color
blindness cant see red at all so that they can't even see that
the red light on a traffic light is lit, it looks like its not lit.
Tho they can see green fine, so all they have to do is
know that if no lights are visible, it must be showing red.

That's no good, because you're very likely not to notice the traffic
light
is there at all.

They stand out like dogs balls and you can usually
see the set of lights for the cross road too.

They're black,

Yep.

and blend in with all the other ****e the councils put up.

Nope.

I see no reason to look for anything other than lights.

No need to look for them, they stand out like dogs balls.

Not to me. The way the human brain works is it spots light and movement. Why do you think you don't see that spider on the ceiling until it moves?

If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still
being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only looking
for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

But you would normally see a whole set of lights.
normally 4 for your road and you can usually see
at least two for the cross road too.

If they're all red

They never are for long

Long enough to stay red for the time you approach and drive past them.

and even you would
notice the other stopped cars even if they were.

Not if you're the only car going in that direction.

and I can't see red, I see no lights.

If that's actually a problem, presumably
they wouldn't pass their driving test.

Tests don't always have lights on red.

And that Romania does in fact ban the color blind from
driving. But the color blind are trying to get that overturned.

It would be interesting to see if the number of accidents changes if
they
did that.

Unlikely to change much given that its only about 1% of males
that are completely green/red color blind. The one that is 6%
of males aren't completely green/red color blind, they are just
much less sensitive to green than normal people so that in
reduced light situations dark green cars appear to be black.
But traffic lights are bright green, not dark green, and bright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_...olor_blindness

Then why not just make the 1% banned from driving?

Because they clearly do fine in everywhere else where they
arent banned or fail to pass their drivers license test.

I guess they make allowances for themselves, in everyday life aswell as driving.
Old December 20th 18, 04:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Then you need to stop driving.

The way the human brain works is it spots light and movement.

Anyone with even half a clue when approaching an
intersection with lights notices the current state of light.

Why do you think you don't see that spider on the ceiling until it moves?

Traffic lights are done differently and even you should have
noticed by now that they don't actually move very often at all.

If I drive past traffic lights that are not operating (say ones still
being set up for roadworks), I don't see them at all. I'm only
looking
for lit lights, as unlit ones are of no consequence.

But you would normally see a whole set of lights.
normally 4 for your road and you can usually see
at least two for the cross road too.

If they're all red

They never are for long

Long enough to stay red for the time you approach and drive past them.

and even you would
notice the other stopped cars even if they were.

Not if you're the only car going in that direction.

Not common enough to matter.

and I can't see red, I see no lights.

If that's actually a problem, presumably
they wouldn't pass their driving test.

Tests don't always have lights on red.

But given that most don't pass the first time its rather
unlikely that they don't sometimes have one.

[...]

Yeah, very likely given that so many modern appliances
to have red lights a times even if just to indicate when
the charging has finished etc.

Old December 20th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:21:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 167 lines of the two subnormal idiots' latest sick troll****
unread again

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Old December 28th 18, 04:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 03:22:32 -0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:43:10 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:36:14 -0000, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:33:25 +0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:11 GMT, "Kristy Ogilvie"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 00:40:37 -0000, Rod Speed

is a xposting troll.
PDNFTT

I think that acronym can be improved to "PDNFTFT!" :-)

I've been banned from forums for less.

I've used even stronger acronyms such as GIYF! The pling (or bang)
completely changes the meaning (and more importantly, the tone) of the
more usual GIYF :-)

Bang :-)

I like the term "interrobang", a cross between a ! and a ? It really should be used more often.
Old December 28th 18, 04:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
William Gothberg[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 03:11:09 -0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:48:04 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:25:52 -0000, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round,
can't remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people (the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

I must admit if I were to fit taps to a new sink, I'd either fit them to
whichever pipe was closest, or randomly. I might make them the same as
another sink in the house, but if I'm fitting all the sinks from
scratch, I wouldn't bother looking up what the "standard" was. Don't
most folk just operate the blue or red topped one as required? That's
what I do. I will occasionally then think "that's odd, it's the other
way round to my house", but I never turn the wrong one on. I can
understand the standard of pushing down for on (down is always more,
it's the way we write text), but left and right don't mean hot and cold
to me.

Mind you, something that annoys me are cooker controls. Electric
cookers operate clockwise for hotter, like a volume control, but gas
cookers operate anti-clockwise for hotter, like a tap. Why did
electrics go the other way to gas/water? Is it because they used to
tighten the thread to increase pressure for less resistance? Surely a
rheostat could be wired either way round.

Also phones and calculators/computers have the numbers the other way up.
The computer makes sense, higher numbers further up, but the phone is
upside down.

"Standards". The nice thing about 'standards' is that there are so many
to choose from. At one time, there was only one logical place on a sink
to fit the one and only tap (fawcet) and that was to suit the majority
who were right handed so it became *the* standard. When hot taps were
added, the natural location was, therefore, on the LHS and thus, out of
logical necessity, was the left hand hot tap with a right hand cold tap
convention arrived at.

Since there's already an existing (born out of logic) standard way round
to fit hot and cold taps and you want to maintain consistency within your
own home, it's just simply better that the layout you choose matches that
used in the vast majority of cases elsewhere. Consistency is the key to
an easier life, so, just 'go with the flow'. :-)

It really doesn't bother me about where the hot and cold are, I just use the blue or red one as required. But when something needs to be turned the wrong way, that's insane. For example it once cost me £200 because I broke a Nikon camera - they actually have the lenses designed to fit on anti-clockwise! And what's worse, if you turn them the wrong way, it snaps the linkage for the focusing in the camera, costing a fortune. Oh well, I'll never buy anything from that company again, their loss.
Old December 29th 18, 02:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Johnny B Good

wrote:

====snip====

Since there's already an existing (born out of logic) standard way
round
to fit hot and cold taps and you want to maintain consistency within
your own home, it's just simply better that the layout you choose
matches that used in the vast majority of cases elsewhere. Consistency
is the key to an easier life, so, just 'go with the flow'. :-)

It really doesn't bother me about where the hot and cold are, I just use
the blue or red one as required. But when something needs to be turned
the wrong way, that's insane. For example it once cost me £200 because
I broke a Nikon camera - they actually have the lenses designed to fit
on anti-clockwise! And what's worse, if you turn them the wrong way, it
snaps the linkage for the focusing in the camera, costing a fortune. Oh
well, I'll never buy anything from that company again, their loss.

I've seen a similarly insane choice with those dual kitchen sink taps
which have the taps for hot 'n' cold arranged directly opposite each
other either side of the single spout tap assembly such that you need to
rotate them so the top sides of either tap are either rotated towards or
away from you rather than the entirely logical anti-clockwise to open
them from the appropriate sideways end view of each tap.

It's hard to describe succinctly but, in the unlikely event you haven't
experienced this sort of 'counter-intuitive weirdness' before, you may
need to consider my description very carefully to appreciate what a
stupid nitwit idea this is.

If it had been a quarter turn lever tap rather than an otherwise
ordinary multi-turn tap where clockwise means 'close' and anticlockwise
means 'open', the idea would have worked just fine but, as it was, it was
a total pain using such an oddball tap arrangement.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 29th 18, 02:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Johnny B Good

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 00:40:37 -0000, Rod Speed

is a xposting troll.
PDNFTT

I think that acronym can be improved to "PDNFTFT!" :-)

I've been banned from forums for less.

I've used even stronger acronyms such as GIYF! The pling (or bang)
completely changes the meaning (and more importantly, the tone) of the
more usual GIYF :-)

Bang :-)

I like the term "interrobang", a cross between a ! and a ? It really
should be used more often.

In this case, an interrobang would just confuse and dilute the intended
meaning. Trust me, a single 'bang' (or 'pling' if you will) appended onto
the end of the rather avuncular expression, "GIYF", is all that's
required to ram home the message. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 29th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 01:45:51 GMT, Johnny B Good, another demented,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I've seen a similarly insane choice with those dual kitchen sink taps

Is this still about railway signals, you driveling troll-feeding senile
idiot? BG
Old December 29th 18, 11:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 01:51:56 GMT, Johnny B Good, another demented,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

In this case, an interrobang would just confuse and dilute the intended
meaning. Trust me, a single 'bang' (or 'pling' if you will) appended onto
the end of the rather avuncular expression, "GIYF", is all that's
required to ram home the message. :-)

Good Lord, is there really NO bait idiotic enough that you senile idiots
will NOT swallow, hook, line and sinker, every time? tsk

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 04:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 02:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM