Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 11:00:25 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/11/2019 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 7:00:36 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/10/2019 6:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

To OP's quest for a _six speed_ drive chain my current recommendation is
the Wippermann 7.08 nickel plated chain. Those are new here so I can't
speak to longevity but they are fat (a feature for 5/6 freewheels) and
include a Connex snaplink. Nothing wrong with KMC Z33 for six speed BTW.
As chain gets skinnier, classic 5/6 shifting suffers.

Agreed, the KMC Z33 is fine for 5 and 6 speed freewheels, and the 8 and
9 (and 10 and 11) should be avoided. No upside in spending more for
poorer shifting.

The issue is that finding the older chains in a shop is often not easy
since 5 and 6 speed freewheels haven't been used in a long time. So
often they'll sell naive customers a 7 or 8 speed narrower chain and
assure them that it'll work fine.

5, 6, 7 and 8 speed freewheels are readily available since most of the world is still using them. You can even get 9 speed freewheels.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Speed.../dp/B00ZHYFMXY

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Am I understanding you that you meant you would previously have disagree with me? These are available from at least 3 firms which all appear to be Chinese. Flywheel, Bolany and Sunrace. Perhaps another company names Lixada.

Installing rear wheel without dropping chain Joe Riel Techniques 18 January 6th 16 08:45 PM
Issue with Shimano 10 Speed chain dropping [email protected] Techniques 6 June 21st 06 01:35 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM
Variable quality Shimano MartinM UK 21 March 1st 04 12:31 PM
USPS dropping Trek and Shimano! anonymous Racing 39 January 3rd 04 12:12 AM