Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

Old September 11th 19, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 23:09:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/10/2019 9:25 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 5:29:24 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
jbeattie writes:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:49:40 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
"Mark J." writes:

On 9/8/2019 6:16 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I don't use a mirror, but my head does turn, and I can see a car or
truck approaching from behind, and I continue to do what I'm
doing. A mirror might be helpful when I'm passing cyclists and have
to drop into traffic while watching the cyclist ahead, but it may
also be a distraction. I don't know. I used mirror for two days
forty years ago and hated it. I was hit from the rear by a bus, and
a mirror would have done nothing to avoid that. I get close passes
all the time, and again, a mirror would do nothing. I get close
passes while riding lane center. Cars just do stupid things whether
you're looking at them through a mirror or not.

There is a learning curve here, and I think most of it is at the
subconscious level.

My first use was pretty much 40 years ago also, and also after a few
days I gave up - for a bit. Tried again shortly afterward and have
been happily "mirrored" ever since. It's so much nicer to see what's
going on back there.

Agreed. Every few months I forget my mirror, and within a few minutes I
get that feling that something is just not right, so I turn right around
and get it. Sometimes walking down the street I try turning my head a
bit and looking in the corner where the mirror ought to be.

Every time I see one on someone else, though, I can't help but notice
how dorky it looks.

Pro-tip: I put some reflective tape on the back, for that one-eyed cat
look at night. Doesn't make it look any more, or less, dorky.

I have been forgetting my mirror for the last, well forever. I just
turn my head and look. Do you wear a mirror walking? In the shower?
Gardening? Going to a dance party? Those are more dangerous than
riding, so why no mirror?

I look back in the mirror much more often than I would if I had to turn
my head, although I do that too. I usually just pull out a compact and
pretend to powder my nose when walking, and my shower is, naturally,
fully mirrored. Never saw the need for a gardening mirror, and it's
been ages since I was invited to a dance party.

As for the pro-tip, I have reflective tape all up the back of my
fender and stays for that "road construction" look.

I got some reflective pin stripe tape for the fenders, it looks almost
presentable.

Wise move staying away from the dance parties. They're super dangerous. https://www.besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/

So, yet another source claiming bicycling is not super-dangerous. In
this case, bicycling is safer than attending dance parties.

That's going to make some or our contributors mad.

But it is dangerous. Why, everyone knows that. Just ask anybody.

You gotta have the helmet and the special clothes and everywhere you
turn you read another news story about cyclists being killed. Why, you
even gotta have the special road to ride on to be safe.

(Preconceived notions really are stranger than reality :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 11th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:05:29 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

I wonder if there's a market for a "Google Glass" type of thing
w/ a back-facing camera displayed on a forward screen full time.
Hmm.

pH in Aptos

Rear view bicycle cameras already exist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rear+view+camera&tbm=isch
You might also consider an automotive dashboard camera, which usually
has a rear view camera included.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 11th 19, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 00:01:43 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:05:29 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

I wonder if there's a market for a "Google Glass" type of thing
w/ a back-facing camera displayed on a forward screen full time.
Hmm.

pH in Aptos

Rear view bicycle cameras already exist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rear+view+camera&tbm=isch
You might also consider an automotive dashboard camera, which usually
has a rear view camera included.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

A good rear-view camera can really help if this happens. Frank will say the bicyclist should have been lane center but I don't think that would have helped in this case.

youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I

Cheers
Old September 11th 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 11/09/2019 12:46 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

My riding buddy, the paramedic installed a go pro on his bike for his
commute. He was getting tailgated, close passes etc. He planned to use
it to report idiots to his buddies at the police station. But found
that driver stopped most of the bull**** behavior. He thinks it's the
camera. So maybe just a fake camera would help? g

Frank lives in Ohio which is devoid of much of a cycling presence. When
cyclists are unique occurrences that astound and confound the unwashed
masses perhaps they are too shocked to pass and this gives him the
impression that he is in fact controlling the road. Seems to also work
on cops, preventing them from ticketing him for impeding.

Here in Montreal, it's a bit different. C
https://globalnews.ca/news/5760125/m...-tickets-2018/

Old September 11th 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2019 12:46 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I think the guy was riding in the worst possible position. It looks like
there are four feet of paved shoulder outside the rumble strips. Absent
piles of shoulder debris, why not ride there?

If that shoulder were not present, yes, I would have been toward lane
center. Given the speed limit on the road, I'd probably have paid
attention to my mirror. But in my considerable experience, motorists
would have seen me and slowed down or changed lanes. I've never had to
leave the road to avoid a crash from behind.

Incidentally, that lane does look wide. If a motorist didn't change
lanes (perhaps because the inside lane was occupied), when he slowed I'd
probably move toward the fog line. If he's proven he sees me and is
adjusting to my presence, I show that cooperation when feasible. (If the
lane were too narrow to share I'd stay centered.)

All of this works. It's what I do, and I seem to be the guy here who
complains the least about close passes, crashes, etc.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 19, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2019 9:42 AM, Duane wrote:

Frank lives in Ohio which is devoid of much of a cycling presence.Â* When
cyclists are unique occurrences that astound and confound the unwashed
masses perhaps they are too shocked to pass and this gives him the
impression that he is in fact controlling the road.Â* Seems to also work
on cops, preventing them from ticketing him for impeding.

Here in Montreal, it's a bit different.Â* C
https://globalnews.ca/news/5760125/m...-tickets-2018/

First, there was no mention in that article or video of ticketing
cyclists for impeding traffic.

Second, an appellate court ruling in Ohio says that a cyclist can't be
ticketed for riding at normal cycling speed. (When I'm riding a bike, I
_am_ traffic.)

Third, forcing cyclists to ride at the extreme edge of a road is
anti-cycling. Cyclists who approve of that should be ashamed.

Fourth, I've cycled in 47 U.S. states, six (IIRC) Canadian provinces and
about a dozen other countries. My views are not just Ohio views.

Although I must add, it is nice here! So many people here post so many
complaints. Perhaps you should move?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

Rear view bicycle cameraffl@cruzs already exist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rear+view+camera&tbm=isch
You might also consider an automotive dashboard camera, which usually
has a rear view camera included.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

I shoulda firgured that...
Aside from the current trend that *everything* has to be computerized (the refrigerator has to tell you when you're low on milk, after all) I thought the only advantage would be the ability to record the video in the event of an accident.

cynic
Not that even definite proof of blame and 5 eyewitnesses would result in any significant penalty for the motorist in any case, of course.
/cynic

Ph in Aptos
Old September 11th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 09:42:30 -0400, Duane
wrote:

[...]

There was a "study" done in England (I think) that found the absolute
best defense against aggressive autos was a jacket with "POLICE"
printed on the back :-)

Old September 11th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 12:43:27 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Frank, did you watch the video? The driver never even slowed down thus showing that they most likely could not see the bicyclist. I've read that the driver had a hand up as if trying to shield from sun glare. thus the driver would not have seen the bicyclists even had the bicyclist been in the center of the lane. Notice that the other lanes were devoid of traffic when she hit the bicyclist? If the driver could not see ahead of them then the driver should have slowed down a lot.

Cheers
Old September 11th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 12:56:32 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
Perhaps you should move?

--
- Frank Krygowski

That seems to be your standard answer. It's also ridiculous!

Cheers

Another cyclist killed Mentalguy2k8[_2_] UK 5 December 19th 13 12:50 PM
Cyclist killed Anton Berlin Racing 2 July 24th 10 04:08 AM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Cyclist killed endroll Australia 0 September 24th 05 08:46 AM
Cyclist Killed Jimscozz Recumbent Biking 1 November 28th 03 04:39 PM