cycling in Chicago

Old September 20th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default cycling in Chicago

Actually, most people with good sense left. My in-laws got out after WW II. They came down to California and he started some 20 churches most of which are large and thriving today.

Today the middle classes are leaving so rapidly that I just got a call asking me to be a company controller. What in the hell do I know about company finances? Running a department is NOTHING like running a company.
Old September 20th 19, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 7:42:06 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 11:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

What about Eugene? https://www.eugene-or.gov/979/Property-Crimes Is there some Alt right urban myth circulating that hasn't come to my attention? Eugene is a hell hole. https://www.lohrrealestate.com/wp-co...tte-eugene.png

Honestly, though, the federal court house is a ridiculous, bloated shrine to Wayne Morse. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ner_cro p.JPG You stand in the court rooms and think ch-ching! Your tax dollars at work! https://i.pinimg.com/originals/16/ae...5452c29f62.jpg

Modern architecture makes me sad.

A couple years ago, my wife and I visited the 1900-era county
courthouse, in part because its 8' tall majestic statues (representing
law, justice and strength IIRC) had been restored and were on display
before being lifted back to the rooftop.

The interior was as beautiful as I remembered, with lots of elegant
marble, murals and paintings of historic scenes, stained glass windows,
etc. Just gorgeous.

As we walked the few blocks back to our parking place, we passed the new
(circa 2000?) federal courthouse. We decided to stop in for comparison.
But there was no comparison. Its internal style matched its external
style; it was about as beautiful as a refrigerator, inside and out.
There was absolutely nothing to see.

We did, however, enjoy a long and pleasant conversation with a worker
there who was very interested in our bike tours and my utility riding.

Some of the most picturesque old court houses are miserable for argument or trial. There is one outlet for the whole courtroom (and cords taped down all over the place), and the acoustics can be terrible. But they are picturesque. Some of the grandeur is also spoiled by all the security retrofits at the entry points. The modern court rooms are more suited to their purpose but some can be about as grand as an office cubicle.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 20th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/s...oman-near-loop

Even gun men get flats.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...aa4-story.html

--
Movable type was evidently a fad. --Amanda Walker
Old September 20th 19, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 12:52:02 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Jay, I would suggest you ask Frank why the acoustics of older buildings are different from newer ones but I'm sure that he couldn't tell you. And your education was somewhat remiss. Most people are aware that acoustics was a science developed in Phoenicia circa 2000 BC. But I'm sure that you think that the designers of your old court house were uneducated in the art of unamplified sound. Ask people about the Sistine Chapel in Roam.
Old September 20th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/20/2019 3:23 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/s...oman-near-loop

Even gun men get flats.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...aa4-story.html

How much is a tire/tube change at Get a Grip?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 21st 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: Even gun men get flats.
: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...aa4-story.html
:
:

:How much is a tire/tube change at Get a Grip?

$20 or so was the going price the last time I looked. I've neer been
to that shop, though.

--
sig 35
Old September 21st 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

https://wgntv.com/2019/09/21/chicago...ide-officials/

The really important details have been omitted so far, though. What kind of bike was he riding? Was it well-maintained? And why wasn't he wearing a helmet?
Old September 21st 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/21/2019 1:30 PM, Chalo wrote:
https://wgntv.com/2019/09/21/chicago...ide-officials/

The really important details have been omitted so far, though. What kind of bike was he riding? Was it well-maintained? And why wasn't he wearing a helmet?

There's a CCTV camera of him while his flat was being
repaired at Get a Grip Bikes on Fulton Street.

Mechanic may know what bike.

Old September 21st 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/21/2019 1:30 PM, Chalo wrote:
https://wgntv.com/2019/09/21/chicago...ide-officials/

The really important details have been omitted so far, though. What kind of bike was he riding? Was it well-maintained? And why wasn't he wearing a helmet?

Breaking news 4:05pm Saturday.

Creep has been shot by CPD but unfortunately arrested. Damn.

Old September 21st 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

When I saw they had named their suspect "Michael Blackman", I felt they were working their angle a bit too hard.

Chicago Cycling Update AMuzi Techniques 5 April 28th 17 05:37 PM
cycling in Chicago AMuzi Techniques 4 May 5th 16 01:51 PM
cycling in Chicago AMuzi Techniques 11 March 7th 16 09:46 AM
Chicago Area Cycling John Everett General 11 April 4th 07 12:38 PM
Chicago Area Cycling John Everett Rides 11 April 4th 07 12:38 PM