Bikeability Toolkit

Old July 27th 05, 11:59 PM
Peter McCallum

Default Bikeability Toolkit

The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

Old July 28th 05, 12:25 AM
Tamyka Bell

Peter McCallum wrote:

The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

Tam
Old July 28th 05, 12:38 AM
Marx SS

Intresting, might take it on for my local area. (although the inner wes
Melb seems to be catered well for cyclists generally, but there's alway
room for improvment eh?

--
Marx SS

Old July 28th 05, 12:50 AM
alison_b

Marx SS Wrote:
Intresting, might take it on for my local area. (although the inner wes
Melb seems to be catered well for cyclists generally, but there's alway
room for improvment eh?)

Racecourse road could do with some improvement: No curb access to th
moonee ponds drai... err... creek on one side; a dodgy now you see it
now you don't 'bike lane'; the road is poorly policed and the driver
some of the worst I've seen; the council ignores requests to fix th
grates covering some of the drains (they've moved across just enoug
for a road bike wheel to get caught in them) and they are too heavy t
shift myself...

Other than that though, I agree that we are pretty spoilt in the inne
west for bikeability

al

--
alison_b

Old July 28th 05, 01:46 AM
TimC

On 2005-07-27, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
Peter McCallum wrote:
http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

Now I've got the concept of a V8 ute bike in my head. 4 people on a
tandem going "budubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudub u".

--
TimC
"This thesis brought to you by the letter tau" -- TimC
Old July 28th 05, 02:10 AM
Zoom

On 2005-07-27, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)

Peter McCallum wrote:

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

Now I've got the concept of a V8 ute bike in my head. 4 people on a
tandem going "budubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudub u".

I had similar thoughts but I imagined a cement mixer or a few bales of
hay in the back.

Zoom
Old July 28th 05, 02:25 AM
cfsmtb

Peter McCallum Wrote:
The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I'd strongly suggest subscribing to the bfa-oz list to read furthe
comments:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/bfa-oz

An extract of Michael Yeates comments,
http://www.yeatesit.biz/

".....Recently the following observation was made in regard t
guideline C1 produced by QT ...

-(Quote)Yet again a document that has no relevance for fast moving roa
bikes. The needs of these riders are almost always submerged in a pus
to get people off roads and on to shared facilities.-

This seems to reflect a general reluctance (by both bureaucrats an
cycling group representatives) to deal with the fact that many cyclist
are travelling quite easily and comfortably at speeds 25km/h ... an
the best place for that is "on the road" ...!

This speed advantage is one of the reasons cycling is a useful mode o
transport but it must be able to be maintained. For example once on
path, what should be the waiting time at traffic lights at the roa
crossings and if no traffic lights, should cyclists be given priorit
ie "right of way" at all or most crossings? This is part of the concep
of "continuity" as road crossings are (generally) accepted as the mos
dangerous and most delaying part of a bike path trip ie they are no
able to be excluded from the continuity criteria.....

--
cfsmtb

Old July 28th 05, 04:25 AM
flyingdutch

Peter McCallum Wrote:
The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

why is cycling in Oz divided amongst SO many different 'bodies' (don
answer that!)

that's been about for near 2 years now..

--
flyingdutch

Old July 28th 05, 04:30 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch Wrote:
why is cycling in Oz divided amongst SO many different 'bodies' (dont
answer that!)

Short answer: It's like herding cats. Long answer: Buy me a slab o'
Goat Hightail.

flyingdutch Wrote:
that's been about for near 2 years now...

Nope, it's being going on much much longer.

--
cfsmtb

Uni Toolkit tahognome Unicycling 20 October 25th 05 01:55 AM
My New Toolkit has arrived!, Time's Up helps. dgk General 1 June 10th 05 03:04 PM
query on lidl toolkit geepeetee UK 4 April 14th 05 03:16 PM