New fella saying hi.

Old April 23rd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default New fella saying hi.

Hi folks.
Just a quick hello from a newbie.
My girlfriend bought me a unicycle for my birthday last week (I was
dropping hints for tickets to go and see the Mighty Boosh at Cardiff
but noooo), and to say I was surprised was an understatement!
She had a 20" Nimbus for Christmas, and we've spent the last few months
practicing in the tennis courts of the local park.
I say we, I mean her riding, and me being the mobile crutch thing.
So on the morning of my birthday, she whips out 24" uni and says
"Surprise!"

Riiiight.

Well, I'm determined to learn, just out of sheer bloody-mindedness and
a determination to be better than her (she's good enough to go hundreds
of yards on her own now. Cow.).
I've just come in from the tennis courts myself. I'm still at the
clinging-onto the-fence stage, but occasionally I find myself wobbling
out into open space, which quite frankly is both terrifying and
exciting in a giggly kind of way.

Anyway, the girlfriend won't let me use her Nimbus. She's afraid I'll
break it or something. So I was wondering if it's easier to learn on a
smaller wheel?
Looking forward to learning.
Into the blue

--
Into the blue
Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084

Old April 23rd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

people learn on either 20" or 24" unicycles. Any thing smaller or
bigger than that would be hard but possible. Uh, can't help much haha.
Keep up the work, because it will pay off in the end. Kelly.

--
juggle508

----------Joshua 1:9 ----------
juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

Old April 23rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

into the blue r u air force? cool does ur girlfriend have a sn keeep
tryin if u get it its fun

--
skianduniaddict

number1 under 15 skiier in the united states
ski sugarloaf uni bradbury
my cat bob ate four kids
i regret the day i threw a snowball at randy johnson
skianduniaddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11868

Old April 23rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think a smaller wheel is easier to learn to freemount on, but since
you're learning to ride before mounting (using the tennis court method
- which a lot of people have used successfully), I don't think there'll
be a big difference as long as you're not swapping unis every time you
ride.

Once you get decent at riding, mounting won't be as difficult to pick
up since you already know what to do once you're on the uni. I learned
the other way - learned to mount before focussing on riding. It offers
different challenges and a lot of people will say one method is better
than the other - but I say stay on course and keep at it!

Happy belated

--
bmemike
bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

Old April 23rd 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

err ello all.
Im new to this an fairly new to ridin too. Just thought i'd say hi, i
can ride a bit, my legs normally hurt before a fall off now so im
gettin better. I first learnt on 20" an thought it was all cool, then
me mate took me out an introduced me to riding off or down stuff on a
24" an im hooked now. just ordered me own beast you gotta love student
loans!
Right sorry lots of rubbish there that no one needed buts it gonna take
less effort to explain than delete, but all i wanted to say is even if
she can go further now stick on it an yr be able to just a far an
faster.

--
just-learnin-josh
just-learnin-josh's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12087

Old April 23rd 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i learned on a 24" and i didnt start holding on to any thing, i just
learned to free mount and ride (i think it is better to learn this
way). then after i was a good a riding i started to ride a 20"er so i
could to trials. now i am thinking of getting a 24" for Muni.

--
irvinegr

Check out my SWEET movies!!! http://tinyurl.com/cr7fu
irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958

Old April 23rd 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I started on a 20" After I started going outdoors, getting help from my
mum, it just took me about 2 hours to learn... not bad ^_^
I had the unicycle for about 2 weeks prior to that though

--
welp
welp's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11990

Old April 23rd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I just learned on a 24" and it's been working well. I didn't learn to
freemount until I could ride about 20 feet though.

--
Carolyn

What do you get when you divide the circumference of a jack-o-lanturn by
it's diameter?
-
Pumpkin Pi!-
Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

Old April 23rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

welcome to the both of you! good to have a unicycling boosh fan - my two
greatest obsessions.

--
krring
krring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11391

Old April 23rd 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

lately there are A LOT of new unicyclers.... this is EXCITING!!!
definetly a fast growing sport.

Large Fella on a Bike Me Racing 0 December 2nd 05 03:38 AM
black fella flying pirate jenny Australia 3 September 30th 05 07:48 AM
unicycles in th surf ( again ) a boy called jennifer Australia 0 September 20th 05 11:36 AM
you rock fella! flyingdutch Australia 1 June 27th 05 07:01 AM