Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Old May 9th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Default Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

or

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

or

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Please limit responses to the three scenarios as outlined above. As
simple or as detailed as you like. And, *first hand* accounts only
(i.e., it happened to you). And no responses of "studies show",
"statistics prove", etc.

Beside the obvious and well-known flaw that self-selected responses are an
_extremely_ poor way to gather data, you have omitted a whole class of
instances in which had the cyclist been wearing a helmet, they would have
struck their head on an object - but because they were not, they did not.

You say you wish to exclude such instances - is this bias for helmets by
choice or accident?

And why do you wish to avoid real studies that have been done that already
show what is needed to determine the value of helmets and MHLs?

Old May 9th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sorni wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Bill, but yes. There has been so much "studies show",
"statistics prove" stuff regarding helmet use, that I thought some
first hand experiences might help put things in perspective. Care to
add yours?

Studies and statistics _are_ what gives a view perspective. You are not
seeking that - you're seeking individual anecdotes, which of themselves have
no predictive validity.

Why are you giving the helmet lobby the opportunity to hide the facts with
scaremongering?

Old May 9th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Sorni wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Bill, but yes. There has been so much "studies show",
"statistics prove" stuff regarding helmet use, that I thought some
first hand experiences might help put things in perspective. Care to
add yours?

You must not understand ANYTHING about statistics if you think
collecting a bunch of anecdotal information is going to put things into
perspective.

Fred

Old May 10th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote:

I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

In May 2003, I was out for a ride and got jumped by four "youths." As I
rode past them, one grabbed one side of my handlebars and another one
shoved me from the side. Over the bars I went (into a nice little roll,
actually) but fared not too well in the events that followed when the
youths caught up with me. Whatever the deficiencies of a bike helmet in
terms of crashing, they seem to be effective when someone is punching
you in the head. The styrofoam was pretty well smashed up; my head
wasn't, except for the broken-off tooth and cracked nose.

As I recall, there were about four similar events along that stretch of
trail (the Cedar Lake Trail in Minneapolis, between the I-394 overpass
and the 12th Avenue bridge, sort of behind Minnesgasco). And in 2004 or
2005 there was a string of assaults along there as well. The miscreants
were never apprehended.

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

In May 1997, I think, I was in the Goodhue County Road race and crashed
out on gravel on the second turn, the corner marshals having
thoughtfully swept the gravel to the pavement at the apex of the corner.
I low-sided and glancingly bounced my head along the ground once. Other
than possibly preventing some road rash to my scalp, I don't think the
helmet helped at all. Without the helmet, it's possible my head might
not even have touched the ground.
Old May 10th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet
and I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Windsurfing. Going a good 25 mph. Got catapulted by a gust, over
the bars, into the water sort of on the area between my shoulders.

Wound up laying in the water unable to feel anything in my arms for
several minutes.

That had to be alarming.
Old May 10th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OT: are experiences not "data"?

In article . com,
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote:

Helmut Springer wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

As your measure is always the subjective 'feel' of the reporting
person you are not collecting data, you are collecting impressions,
i.e. noise.

Right, I'm looking for peoples first hand experiences/feelings. That
is data, no?

No, you are asking us all for an anecdote. The plural of "anecdote" is
not "data."
Old May 10th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Tim McNamara:
That had to be alarming.

My personal pucker factor was off the scale.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 10th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Tim McNamara:
Wound up laying in the water unable to feel anything in my arms for
several minutes.

That had to be alarming.

.... Which is part of the reason why I keep coming up with the notion that the
straps that keep the helmet in place shouldn't be *too* strong...

That and recently reviewing the photos in a motorcycle accident report in which
the rider had his head/helmet ripped off - leaving all the cervical vertebrae
neatly in place sticking out of his totally-intact leathers.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 10th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Ozark Bicycle:
2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

How about "object struck head" instead?

Attacked by a goose that came at me full tilt on the wing from behind beating
with it's wings (ever hear of a "baton fracture"?), pecking, biting, and clawing
after the initial impact

Bruised the hell out of one scapula. I'm pretty sure the helmet saved my head
from some sort of damage, but I can't say what.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 10th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Diablo Scott wrote:
I've had a bunch of crashes with assorted injuries but only once did
my helmet play any part whatsoever.

Type 1: I was out of the saddle accelerating out of a left turn (not
especially hard, just commuting) - left pedal spindle on the
downstroke snapped and I immediately went down and my helmet hit the
pavement. I heard the helmet scrape along the road until my body and
bike (still attached to my right foot) came to a stop. The helmet
saved my ear and scalp and probably prevented my glasses from getting
smashed into my face.
It would probably have been my worst bike injury except for when the
car hit me (broken shoulder). Instead it was non-head road rash and
bruised rib.

I'm a believer, not a Nazi.

ALL believers are Nazis. Whaddya, new?!?

(Good story; glad you were lidded.)