BBC Lonon TV news, 6:30

Old September 4th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns

Default BBC Lonon TV news, 6:30

I'm told the BBC London news at 6:30 has coverage of the Bike Magic
initiative at Surrey Quays shopping centre, where Southwark Cyclists are
promoting cycle training to the drivers in the car park.

And lots of coverage on Share The Road :-}
Old September 4th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

John Hearns wrote:
I'm told the BBC London news at 6:30 has coverage of the Bike Magic
initiative at Surrey Quays shopping centre, where Southwark Cyclists are
promoting cycle training to the drivers in the car park.

And lots of coverage on Share The Road :-}

I moved my dish off Hotbird to watch that. Very pleasantly surprised at
the even handed coverage (although the one anti cyclist email they
quoted seemed to use very familiar language). One of the vox pop guys'
h*lm*t was a laugh - although perhaps the director asked him to push it
back to make his face visible.
The trainer looked to have a nice job - and I was pleased to see he and
his trainee were not wearing h*lm*ts.
It would be great if there was more like this on TV instead of the Top
Gear type rubbish, and all those car ads.
Thanks again John for letting us know.
All the best
Dan Gregory
Old September 4th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Dan Gregory" wrote in message
John Hearns wrote:
I'm told the BBC London news at 6:30 has coverage of the Bike Magic
initiative at Surrey Quays shopping centre, where Southwark Cyclists are
promoting cycle training to the drivers in the car park. And lots of
coverage on Share The Road :-}

I moved my dish off Hotbird to watch that.

Sure you should be admitting that?! Oh wait, that's not an adult channel?

Very pleasantly surprised at the even handed coverage (although the one
anti cyclist email they quoted seemed to use very familiar language).

Even-handed? Where was the AA & RAC?! Where was the rambling society?!

One of the vox pop guys' h*lm*t was a laugh - although perhaps the
director asked him to push it back to make his face visible.

There's plenty of people who wear them like that.

The trainer looked to have a nice job - and I was pleased to see he and
his trainee were not wearing h*lm*ts.

Just wondering about the insurance perspective ..

But all round, it tried to at least be positive ... with the argument that
we're here to stay and getting bigger and bigger. However, not sure the
usage of 'critical mass' by Jenny Jones was great, as to me and plenty of
others that'll be The Critical Mass, which certainly doesn't relect my views
of cycling in London. I know it's a common term, but it also has a
connection to cycling which gets people's goats up.

What it did make me think (and after yesterdays experience), we cannot
police other cyclists as we'll get the brunt of their language and spittle
as well. I'll just keep telling other road users that it's a small minority
and keep being a good boy myself. I'll probably walk out in front of other
cyclists in the future when they are on the pavement, especially if I'm
pedding my bike along.

None of this will change anything though.

Old September 4th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

elyob wrote:

"Dan Gregory" wrote in message

The trainer looked to have a nice job - and I was pleased to see he and
his trainee were not wearing h*lm*ts.

Just wondering about the insurance perspective ..

Why? Sometimes insurers have to be educated but there are enough
others to use. Claiming insurers insist on helmets is just an excuse.

Coverage at 10.30 didn't seem too bad (though not good) but I didn't
see the trainer.

Fundamentally, pedestrians expect to be safe on the pavement and in
mortal danger on the road. This is why pavement cycling irritates them
more than dangerous driving, regardless of the real dangers.

Colin McKenzie

--
On average in Britain, you're more likely to get a head injury walking
a mile than cycling it.