Good wireless speedo/cadence meter

Old November 11th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default Good wireless speedo/cadence meter

I'm looking for a good wireless speedo/odometer/cadence meter with a
pickup that mounts on the chainstay or seat stay.

I don't need an expensive super fancy over complicated device. Something
under $50 USD would be good price range.

Any suggestions?

Chas.

Old November 11th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
"* * Chas" wrote:

I'm looking for a good wireless speedo/odometer/cadence meter with a
pickup that mounts on the chainstay or seat stay.

I don't need an expensive super fancy over complicated device. Something
under $50 USD would be good price range.

Any suggestions?

Good and wireless are disjoint sets. I would mail you
my wireless for free, but it does not have the cadence
system. The maximum speed is always 90+ km/hr. The time
and distance appear realistic, but who knows? Thanks
for reminding me, I will get a Cateye Mity 8 wired
system in the next week or so.

--
Michael Press
Old November 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dalebenjamin

* * Chas wrote:
I'm looking for a good wireless speedo/odometer/cadence meter with a
pickup that mounts on the chainstay or seat stay.

I don't need an expensive super fancy over complicated device. Something
under $50 USD would be good price range.

Any suggestions?

Chas.

My experience leads me to concur with Michael. I got a Filzer dB4LW-C
with wireless wheel sensor, wired cadence, and the receiver in the
display is way too sensitive, picks up vehicle ignitions or other
digital devices.

Have an Axiom A08C, all wired, with momentary cadence, about 600 miles
on city streets, still works fine, 2d cell, 3d magnet switch.

I took the Filzer apart and removed the antenna, now the cadence works
OK at least. It has momentary and average cadence, low 60s is my usual
over a ten mile ride.

I might have seen an all wired job that had momentary, average, and max
cadence beside the usual speedo/odo stuff last week, think it was $70.

Old November 11th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Solvang Cyclist

"* * Chas" wrote in
:

I'm looking for a good wireless speedo/odometer/cadence meter with a
pickup that mounts on the chainstay or seat stay.

I don't need an expensive super fancy over complicated device.
Something under $50 USD would be good price range.

Any suggestions?

Chas.

What they said. (Forget wireless.)

The wireless systems always seem to be temperamental, the sensors are
HUGE and of course there's another battery to worry about. Another plus
to a wired system is that you will get more computer for your money than
what you would get by paying for the wireless feature.

I have two bikes with computers wired for both speed and cadence. The
wires, as well as both speed sensors, are "glued" to the frame using
silicone. The wires and sensors were held in place and the frame masked
with blue painter's tape prior to placing on the silicone bead. After
the silicone set, the masking tape was removed to provide a clean edge.
(Some smoothing of the edge is required before the silicone completely
dries.) I find this to be superior to the use of clear tape that some
people recommend and a VAST improvement over the nylon cable ties that
come with the computers.

The older bike has an (impossible to find now) TTT stem that has a hole
specifically designed to route the computer wires down the headtube. The
newer bike doesn't even have enough clearance between the tire and the
top of the fork to snake the wire past - even if modern stem designs
allowed for that. So for the new bike, the speed sensor wire is routed
down the front brake cable housing and both are contained in nylon weave
tubing
(http://cableorganizer.com/images/ben...do-pt-plus.jpg)
that matches the cable housing color (in my case - black.) The cadence
wire was also enclosed with the nylon weave together with the front
derailleur cable housing until it got to the downtube. At that point the
wire exits the weave and is routed along the bottom of the downtube.

The installation took two of us several hours to complete - but the
results are well work the effort. The installation is even more
unobtrusive than a wireless system because the sensors are MUCH smaller.
And the old wire harness has been on the bike for about 20 years. I've
replaced the computer a few times, but since all wired computers use the
same simple reed switch for a sensor, I've always been able to connect
the old harness to the new computer (with a minor issue of cutting and
soldering the wires.)

If anyone is interested, I can take some photos of the details and post
them on the Web.

Cheers,
David
Old November 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:47:52 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
"* * Chas" wrote:

I'm looking for a good wireless speedo/odometer/cadence meter with a
pickup that mounts on the chainstay or seat stay.

I don't need an expensive super fancy over complicated device. Something
under $50 USD would be good price range.

Good and wireless are disjoint sets. I would mail you
my wireless for free, but it does not have the cadence
system. The maximum speed is always 90+ km/hr. The time
and distance appear realistic, but who knows? Thanks
for reminding me, I will get a Cateye Mity 8 wired
system in the next week or so.

I'll toss my hat in the ring for a Cateye as well. Mine's the Astrale,
which is basically the same thing as a Mity but with cadence sensor, and
the speed also in rear. I did have problems with wire length originally,
but after I lost the first one and bought a new one, I spliced the wiring
harnesses together and now I have one that works perfectly on my oversized
bike.

Jasper
Old November 13th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:29:57 -0600, Solvang Cyclist
wrote:

I have two bikes with computers wired for both speed and cadence. The
wires, as well as both speed sensors, are "glued" to the frame using
silicone. The wires and sensors were held in place and the frame masked
with blue painter's tape prior to placing on the silicone bead. After
the silicone set, the masking tape was removed to provide a clean edge.
(Some smoothing of the edge is required before the silicone completely
dries.) I find this to be superior to the use of clear tape that some
people recommend and a VAST improvement over the nylon cable ties that
come with the computers.

Just next time buy a bike whose frame is painted black; on the sensors in
particular, black cable ties on black frame are much sturdier and just as
invisible (ie, not very).

You've still got a point for the cable routing, though.

Jasper
Old November 13th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

wrote:

I've
replaced the computer a few times, but since all wired computers use the
same simple reed switch for a sensor, I've always been able to connect
the old harness to the new computer (with a minor issue of cutting and
soldering the wires.)

My experience with cutting and soldering the Cateye sensor wires (I
spliced two harnesses together for length) was that it was pretty hard.
The wires they use don't take solder very well. I definitely wouldn't want
to be doing it while the whole thing was attached to a complete bike, with
the ends shortening each time you do it. If you do, of course, more power
to ya.

Also: If you route along the cables and expect to never loosen that,
you're not going to be able to replace the cables either -- and with speed
and cadence going to two completely different places over different
cables, it might be difficult to unwind the thing from the mount without
desoldering wires.

Jasper
Old November 13th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

Do not need to solder the wires. Use the
Western Union splice.

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14176/css/14176_46.htm

--
Michael Press
Old November 13th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Solvang Cyclist

Michael Press wrote in news:jack-AF1396.19544512112006
@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Do not need to solder the wires. Use the
Western Union splice.

That's actually the splice I do, but then I cover the results with solder
(a little extra flux makes the soldering easier) and heat shrink tubing. Of
course, since the wires on the old bike have any excess stuffed in the
headtube, there's room to work. For the new one, the wires are wrapped
under the handlebar tape and therefore the splices will need to be as thin
as possible (if and when I need to change computers on it.)

Cheers,
David
Old November 14th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 03:54:43 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

cateye sensor wires

Do not need to solder the wires. Use the
Western Union splice.

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14176/css/14176_46.htm

You've obviously never tried this with cateye sensor wire. Western union
splices are only mechanically strong if it's *wire*, rather than cable.
The cateye stuff is highly flexible, not single-copper-wire.

Also, I doubt it's that great an electrical connection without some
serious environmental shielding, that might be harder on a bike than on a
telegraph pole. I used pretty close to the WU splice, plus solder.
Staggered ones, no less.

Jasper