entry level lights to see by

Old December 29th 12, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default entry level lights to see by

Around the cusp of the dark solstice...

It *was* going to be a shootout: Planet Bike Blaze 2-watt vs.
Portland Design Works Cosmic Dreadnaught 110 - head-to-head, side-by-
side on opposite sides of the handlebar stem.

First impression (of the combo w/ Dreadnaught): These two lights -
with many remarkable similarities and differences - got together and
*complemented* each other.

We know how I have used and generally like PB Blaze headlights for
what they are - except for that *enormously* disillusioning
(disilluminating?) rain experience:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...052e6335b836c8

So when I saw the PDW headlight, purportedly "Built to withstand
rain... " and seemingly priced to compete with the 2-watt PB Blaze, my
interest was piqued. Unfortunately, PDW did *not* see fit to sponsor
me a light; but when I saw it on Amazon for thirty-some bucks and free
super saver shipping, I sprung for it (so now they'll get the totally
unvarnished review).

As noted, the similarities are remarkable: Compact LED self-contained
2xAA "folded penlights", either can snap on to the other's bracket.
(The PDW guys are former PB guys.) MSRP about exactly the same.
High, low, and blinking modes.

For such similar products, the differences are remarkable. PB button
switches low, high, blinkety-flash, PDW high, low, blink-blink. PB
blinkety-flash mode is crazy attention-getting (SuperFlash (TM), PDW
goes blink, blink, blink. (Well, those are piddly differences, but
wait... )

PB has a nice (I think) round, far reaching spot with useful
attenuated spill (?) spread outside the spot. PDW has a more squarish/
rectangular beam and gobs of side spill through two side windows much
bigger than the PB side windows (which I've kind of obscured anyway
with my Saran wrap waterproofing mod). PDW spills relatively bright
light onto the handlebar, the fork crown, water bottles, my legs...
kind of distracting (bright enough that looking down can cause my eyes
to need to re-ajust when looking back up). Probably better for "being
seen" from off center, I guess.

The PDW produces pretty good light to see by - even on low. So did
the PB. The PDW actually looks brighter, but I know this can be very
much a peak battery thing, and all my NiMH's are pretty old and of
suspect capacity, so not sure yet. But... the two of them together
both on high are pretty awesome (complementary).

Must break in here with a huge difference: The PB is a snap to change
batteries (well, used to be a snap before the snap catch wore smooth
and doesn't "snap" anymore - but it doesn't fall open either, so... )
Anyway, the PB is easy to change batteries, twist the head and it pops
off to dump spent and drop fresh batteries, twist and go. The PDW has
a friggin' *screw* holding the fiddly cover, over a more typical lay-
in battery tray. This would be understandable if it weren't for the
fact that the PB battery compartment never had a problem with
wetness. (Must be a patent thing.)

In light of (ha-ha) the huge difference in battery change convenience,
and the bracket slide-on compatibility, it occurred to me that the PB
light could be a primary daily (nightly) headlight, with the even more
compact (barely bigger than a spare pair of batteries) PDW stowed in
the messenger bag as backup - maybe with some sort of batteries with
less tendency self-discharge when installed.

Well, getting long for initial impressions. But anyway in a world
where the next class of bike headlights seems to jump in price about
3x, these two ~cheap little lights together - at less than a hundred
bucks total - produce a lot of light - or ~adequate light for longer
runtime and a variety of modes separately or combined.
Old December 29th 12, 09:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 29, 12:40 am, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Second ride impressions: The PDW is kicking the PB's ass in terms of
"brightness". When starting one and then the other the PDW light
swamps the PB. I think it may have much better batteries in it; we'll
see when I start swapping. ISTR the PB giving brighter light when
loaded with good, fresh batteries, but isolated subjective
impressions... The PDW seems to be holding "brightness" longer than
the PB did, though.

However, I call it "brightness" in quotes because it's just
subjectively... well, "bright" (could be color, or intensity, or... )
The PB by itself seems just as good to see by (maybe better, since I'm
not noticing the light itself so much as the illuminated road ahead).
And in fact, when I rolled up to the kitchen door, the two lights
(both on solid high) were reflected in the kitchen window and the
reflected PB light looked maybe a bit brighter.

The handlebar mounts are not good for lateral aim adjustments (about
all you can do is tweak at them), and last night while riding on the
paved shoulder, I noticed that I was getting plenty of illumination
across the fog line onto the road (where there is not going to be
anything to watch out for), and not as much as I'd like off the road
edge to the right (will work on lateral aiming). Internet reviewers
seem to like the screw clamp PDW thing better, but I like the PB cam
clamp, which is easier to adjust on the fly (good for aiming down as
the batteries weaken). The cam clamp *does* occasionally come open
inadvertantly, but doesn't fall off when it does. I might have to
look at mounting on the front rack.

I sometimes pass another guy who apparently commutes in the opposite
direction on part of my route, and he's always had a very bright
headlight. I passed him again last night, and it looks like Santa
brought him a pair of new retina burners. He had one mounted on his
head. I thought the aliens were coming.
Old December 29th 12, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

compare to similar priced Cateyes ?

helmet lights are essentail to see where ura goin noit where the bike is headed.

try one on the lower fork ? maybe yellow ?
Old December 29th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/29/2012 12:40 AM, Dan O wrote:

The PDW produces pretty good light to see by - even on low. So did
the PB. The PDW actually looks brighter, but I know this can be very
much a peak battery thing, and all my NiMH's are pretty old and of
suspect capacity, so not sure yet. But... the two of them together
both on high are pretty awesome (complementary).

While more slightly more expensive than the PDW Spaceship, the $28.20
UltraFire SH-3AA Cree XM-L T6 800LM 5-Mode is what I've switched to. It
uses three AA batteries (side by side, not linearly). They claim 800
lumens, but I doubt that this is the case, 200 lumens on high is
probably more accurate. But you don't need it on high very often, the
low and mid settings are usually enough. It will run on three AA
batteries or one Li-Ion 26650. A 26650 is about 5000mAH at 3.7V while
three Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries will give you only 2000mAH at 3.6V.
You could also use an 18650 battery with an adapter sleeve and get about
3000mAH at 3.7V.

The big advantage, IMVAIO is that I can use a better mount. I want a
"grab and go" light where the mount has no moving parts to remove the
light, AND where the clamp can be rotated side to side as well as up and
down (because some of the bicycles that the light is used on have curved
handlebars).

Mount: http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/IMG_0303.JPG (not the
Ultrafire light in the holder).

Light:
http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-sh-3aa-cree-xm-l-t6-800lm-5-mode-memory-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-3-x-aa-1-x-26650-124061

Old December 29th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 29, 3:41*am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

I wonder if you're reacting to what you described as a greater amount
of spill in the beam of the PDW. I see elsewhere that both lights
have spot beams, which is kind of a shame. (IME shaping a beam to fit
the road is much more effective than pumping more lumens into a
spot.) But perhaps the spill of the PDW gives some of the same
effect?

The handlebar mounts are not good for lateral aim adjustments (about
all you can do is tweak at them)...
...*I might have to
look at mounting on the front rack.

I think mounting at a height just above the front wheel works best,
giving an optimum combination of throw and pothole shadows (which you
need). If you have a front rack, you could buy or fabricate something
to hold the light there, and take care of your aiming issues as well.

A couple more comments: You mentioned the snaps on the PB battery
case getting worn. I'd strongly consider reinforcing that with a
rubber band cut from an old inner tube, if possible. I used to lead a
lot of night rides, and I've seen several (other brands) of lights pop
open and lose bits when riders hit bumps.

If you get a chance, compare your setup with a with a modern LED
generator light that fits German beam specs. The difference can be
amazing.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 29th 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 29, 9:52 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 29, 3:41 am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Nope, I don't think so. I think I'm assessing the pure brightness of
the spot. The exorbitant "spill" of the PDW I was talking about is
all over the bike right under me, and only noticed when I look down at
it; the spot is way up the road.

The "swamping" is like this: When I turn off both lights, then turn
on the PDW, then turn on the PB, I don't even notice the spot of the
PB hit the road. When I turn off both lights, then turn on the PB,
then turn on the PDW, the PB spot disappears and is replaced by the
PDW spot.

I see elsewhere that both lights
have spot beams, which is kind of a shame. (IME shaping a beam to fit
the road is much more effective than pumping more lumens into a
spot.)

These are little battery penlights. They need to pump as much light
into the spot as they can. (Impressive as it is, it's still arguably
inadequate.)

But perhaps the spill of the PDW gives some of the same
effect?

I am already familiar with the PB, so comparison is greatly biased at
this point, but I really like the PB. The spot is pretty bright but
not glaringly so, is pretty good sized (not pinpoint) well up the road
ahead, and is surrounded by attenuated light that speads all around
the spot, with modest "local" spill that gives a faint shadowing of
the front rack on the road right in front of me.

The PDW (which I'm not accustomed to yet) gives a very bright spot
(maybe relatively glaringly so) - less round but no more useful IMO,
and this brightness actually detracts from the effectiveness of
whatever surrounding spill. The *local* spill (right around the
headlight itself and on and near the bike) of the PDW is downright
disconcerting to me (when I look down and see it, and I suppose it's
always there in my peripheral vision).

Out in the country where it's actually dark, I am generally less
concerened with what's on the road ahead and to the left than with
what might be laying on the shoulder or getting ready to pop out of
the ditch.

The handlebar mounts are not good for lateral aim adjustments (about
all you can do is tweak at them)...
... I might have to
look at mounting on the front rack.

I think mounting at a height just above the front wheel works best,
giving an optimum combination of throw and pothole shadows (which you
need). If you have a front rack, you could buy or fabricate something
to hold the light there, and take care of your aiming issues as well.

The front rack is a Surly Nice Rack, with a top platform and even a
braze-on at center forward. The chief drawback consideration is that
I'm accustomed to switching the light between modes while riding (can
sometimes even get an oncoming car to lower their high beams by
flashing them). If I ever get a serious lighting system with wires, I
think I'd like to mount the headlight on the front rack, and wire a
switch up to the handlebar.

A couple more comments: You mentioned the snaps on the PB battery
case getting worn. I'd strongly consider reinforcing that with a
rubber band cut from an old inner tube, if possible. I used to lead a
lot of night rides, and I've seen several (other brands) of lights pop
open and lose bits when riders hit bumps.

I've had a headlight fly apart a couple of times, but both times it
popped off the mount first (may have been my own failure to fully
secure the catch each time) and then blew apart on the road (one was
then run over by a bus and destroyed as I waited to retrieve it).
I've assessed the worn PB head attachment, and don't especially like
it; but it's not prone to undoing itself (yet) (requires a twist), and
I do like the ease of access to change batteries.

If you get a chance, compare your setup with a with a modern LED
generator light that fits German beam specs. The difference can be
amazing.

I've no doubt it would be, and would like to get such a chance.
(Didn't want to turn this into a debate about penlight vs. *real* bike
lights, and appreciated the tone of your response very much.) I have
found the improvement from the lights of yore (2xC cell 'T' head leg
strap incandescent flashlight, and bottle dynamo driven incandescent)
with these amazing LED's. I know there are much better solutions, but
the PB 2-watt has worked great for me, and the PDW seems on the march
to ever brighter LED output - at thirty-some bucks delivered with
batteries included.
Old December 29th 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 29, 7:40 am, SMS wrote:
[...]

Sounds intriguing (though I had the impression that the PDW Spaceship
was not in the league of light output to see by that I have with the
PB Blaze 2-watt).

How does it fair in the monsoon season?

snip
Old December 29th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 29, 12:21 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 29, 9:52 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Dec 29, 3:41 am, Dan O wrote:

snip

[...]

More important than signaling oncoming cars to dim, I like to be able
to switch to attention-grabbing "SuperFlash" mode as I enter e.g.
trafficky situations where I may want to, um, grab attention, then
switch back to solid when I escape the gauntlet for darker
neighborhood streets.

snip
Old December 30th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:40:32 AM UTC, Dan O wrote:
Well, getting long for initial impressions. But anyway in a world

where the next class of bike headlights seems to jump in price about

3x, these two ~cheap little lights together - at less than a hundred

bucks total - produce a lot of light - or ~adequate light for longer

runtime and a variety of modes separately or combined.

I enjoyed your test, Dan, but this last bit is misinformed. If you had a hub dynamo, for a hundred bucks you could get a BUMM Fly or Cyo at the front (or perhaps even a Phillips Saferide, which is a superior lamp) and a BUMM Toplight Line Plus at the rear, and then you would have what many consider the best lamps in the world, with no further cost for batteries. Here's my installation of specialist versions of the lamps I mention, complete with light-throw piccies: http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html Your installation would of course use a hub dynamo and the 6V version of these lamps.

Andre Jute
Old December 30th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:47:33 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

The advantage of Dan' lights is that they are easily transferred to different bikes.

Cheers