Canada's most dangerous city for cyclists

Old May 3rd 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Canada's most dangerous city for cyclists

Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it pleases tthem.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/canad...141704036.html

Cheers
Old May 3rd 13, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/05/13 11:02, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that
really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that
bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many
bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it
pleases tthem.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/canad...141704036.html

Yup. We get that a lot.

I recently admonished one of our bicycling advocacy groups
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ because although their goal is
admirable, their methods are highly questionable.

They reject all notions that any sort of vehicular cycling (which is
really what I would call defensive riding) has any usefulness, and say
it has "failed", though it was never taught to or practiced by many here.

Their "solution" to getting people to ride is to actively campaign for
and promote bike lanes and shared paths, even though most, if not all
the bike lanes are not designed to improve safety - but to make novices
*feel* safe - until they collect an opening car door for example.

They are steadfast in their belief that with enough bike lanes there
will be enough bikes on the road to cause a cultural shift, and reject
any idea of educating the moron (subset of) motorists that bicycles are
legal and legitimate road users, that roads are paid for out of general
revenue tax, and that motor vehicle registration is mandatory insurance
because motor vehicle operators are far more likely to kill or severely
injure other road users. You get the picture.

I keep applying pressure.

--
JS
Old May 3rd 13, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:02:09 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it pleases tthem.

Yep. Two days ago, I was on a narrow-ish two lane street that I frequently ride. One car was hanging back behind me, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, then began to go around just as a punk on a mountain bike was heading right at me, riding facing traffic.

As we all passed, I said "What are you doing on the wrong side of the road???" He immediately began yelling at me, claiming he knew what he was doing, and that I was on the wrong side of the road.

Of _course_ he felt that he was really competent. They all do.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 3rd 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:29:30 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 03/05/13 11:02, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that

really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that

bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many

bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it

pleases tthem.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/canad...141704036.html

Yup. We get that a lot.

I recently admonished one of our bicycling advocacy groups

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ because although their goal is

admirable, their methods are highly questionable.

They reject all notions that any sort of vehicular cycling (which is

really what I would call defensive riding) has any usefulness, and say

it has "failed", though it was never taught to or practiced by many here.

It's been said: "It's not that vehicular cycling has been tried and found to be difficult. It's that it's been assumed difficult, and not tried."

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 3rd 13, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 2, 6:02*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads.

I wouldn't say "amazing". Remarkable, yes, but it doesn't surprise
me.

Also interesting how many bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it pleases tthem.

Well then, maybe if we all just do what the ****ing cagers want, then
they'll accept us. Yeah, right.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/canad...city-for-cycli...

Old May 3rd 13, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 2, 8:14*pm, wrote:
On Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:02:09 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it pleases tthem.

Yep. *Two days ago, I was on a narrow-ish two lane street that I frequently ride. *One car was hanging back behind me, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, then began to go around just as a punk on a mountain bike was heading right at me, riding facing traffic.

I was coming back from the store tonight when I saw a "punk" on a
skateboard coming toward me with _no lights_! The nerve!

As we all passed, I said "What are you doing on the wrong side of the road???" *He immediately began yelling at me, claiming he knew what he was doing, and that I was on the wrong side of the road.

Obviously he didn't recognize you, else he'd know you couldn't
possibly be wrong about anything.

Of _course_ he felt that he was really competent. *They all do.

You know what he felt? That's creepy.

Old May 3rd 13, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

It's been said: "krygowski you're a ****ing idiot!"
Old May 3rd 13, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/05/13 13:55, Dan O wrote:
On May 2, 8:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Aw, c'mon now, Dan. While that made me giggle a little, it wasn't
really called for just there, was it?

I think those of us who regularly mix it with the fossil fuel burners
have learned to ride defensively, which is a lot of what VC is about.

I'm no practitioner of strict VC. I have to say quite a few hail Eddy's
whenever I go to the VC priest for confession, but I do a lot of what
the Godfather of the "one true way" prescribes, though it was learned
from experience.

I suggest that although you take alternate routes, you do some VC stuff
without realising it. I know I do.

--
JS.
Old May 3rd 13, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 5/2/2013 9:02 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting it's the comments below it that really get me thinking. It's amazing how many people think that bicyclists do NOT belong on the roads. Also interesting how many bicyclists delight in flaunting the Rules of the Road whenever it pleases tthem.

Seems that there is a correlation.

Old May 3rd 13, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:55:09 PM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
On May 2, 8:14*pm, wrote:

Of _course_ he felt that he was really competent. *They all do.

You know what he felt? That's creepy.

He _told_ me what he felt. "I'm 33! I been riding #*%! forever! I know what I'm doing!!!"

But to address the issue head-on: Would you say he was competent, Dan? Coming head-on at a rider who was following the law while being passed by a car?

Will you _really_ take the side of a salmon rider? And argue against a guy riding where the law and decent traffic sense dictate??

- Frank Krygowski