Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

Old October 13th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

just for fun I removed the solar charger from a malfunctioning lawn light that looks like one of those old round Union headlights. I hard wired this light to a 4.8 volts battery and looked to see what it was like.

The three LEDs at the bottom of the three inches diam reflector make a very good be seen light but they because of the reflector design throw a very small amount of light to the surface of the road. It'd be useless for just about any trail riding even with a full moon.

I repeated the experiment the next night but with a 7.2 volts battery. The amount of light on the road or trail didn't seem to be much more and the light was still useless for trail riding at anything much over walking speed.

This experiment seems to prove that nearly any light can work as a be seen light even though it'd ber useless for seeing anything.

Cheers
Old October 13th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
just for fun I removed the solar charger from a malfunctioning lawn
light that looks like one of those old round Union headlights. I hard
wired this light to a 4.8 volts battery and looked to see what it was
like.

The three LEDs at the bottom of the three inches diam reflector make
a very good be seen light but they because of the reflector design
throw a very small amount of light to the surface of the road. It'd
be useless for just about any trail riding even with a full moon.

I repeated the experiment the next night but with a 7.2 volts
battery. The amount of light on the road or trail didn't seem to be
much more and the light was still useless for trail riding at
anything much over walking speed.

This experiment seems to prove that nearly any light can work as a be
seen light even though it'd ber useless for seeing anything.

It's not just about to be seen. If the light is steady but the size of
the light is much smaller than that of a car or motorcycle then car
drivers will think you are still much farther away from them than you
really are.

The only thing that can (somewhat) prevent this effect is a flashing
light because cars and motorcycles don't have those except for
emergencies. Or a wider light but then you need several watts of power.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 14th 14, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

use the larger batt, pile on $400, and hook it up.....

Old October 14th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/xoTf9p
Old October 14th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, October 13, 2014 5:28:01 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

You seem to have missed my point. The point is that it takkes a surprisingly little amount of light being emitted in order to be seen. Being identified as a bicycle is whole other can of worms. There is still a lack of consensus as to whether a steady on light is better than or worse than a flashing light.

In my opinion, the best colour for avoidance would be amber as that's the international colour for something that motor vehicles shouldn't be running into. Flashing amber is best.

Cheers
Old October 14th 14, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, October 13, 2014 8:05:22 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

You seem to have missed my point. The point is that it takkes a surprisingly little amount of light being emitted in order to be seen.

That's true. "Sir" is correct. The light that makes you visible to others
has to travel only one way, from your light to their retina. It doesn't
need much power.

I'm now in a resort town with many more bikes per square mile than Portland.
Almost none of them have any lights at night, despite signs posted about
the legal requirement. But when we've driven around, their reflectors
(especially pedal reflectors) have been very easy to see. The very few
that have any kind of headlight or taillight are even easier to see.

Again: Anyone interested in this should get a friend to help them
observe their own lighting system as they drive by in a car. It's
not rocket science. But almost nobody seems to do that obvious test!

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 14th 14, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Probably but the vehicle code says white in front and red in back. Trick
is getting motorists educated about that. Having more cyclists around
helps.

Good point about the size though. I was always using blink mode for the
rear until a group member asked me to stop as he was prone to seizures.
With a group being seen is less of a concern. I still use blink mode on
the rear when commuting alone.
--
duane
Old October 14th 14, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Way back when they were available in bikcycle shops I had a Belt beacon attached to the rear of my MTB and a car quartz halogen driving light mopunted on the front. Cop on Danforth Street viaduct at the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) turnoff flagged me during a RIDE check because he thought I was a one-eyed bandit (car) and had seen me as I approached him there (he at DVP) and me between Parl;iament Street and Caastle Frank as I approached the viaduct to cross. Officer said he loved the setup but I need a red reflector or chaep red light on back too in order to be legal.

Now you can buy a decent bsttery powerd light that you can actually see to ride by for the same amount if not less of what I paid for that halogen light and 750cc motorcycle battery to run it with.

Cheers
Old October 14th 14, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

STATIONARY LIGHTS are not blinking lights.....advert lights may be regulated for 'no blinking' ? check on that...

law enforcement uses blinking xmass lights for traffic stops....
Old October 14th 14, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I've said this before but I have Blackburn flea lights to be seen with,
white front and rear red. Probably 30 bucks for the pair and both USB
chargeable. Work well for commuting as I can charge them at my desk.

On times when I need to see I use a planet bike 2w 170 lumen light. I
think it was 40 bucks at MEC. Let's me see most of the potholes in the
neighbourhoods I'm likely to ride through.

I don't do much climbing at night using mostly well lit roads or not so
well lit suburban streets so the PB is fine. I could see that a ride like
Jay does with twisty hills and rain would require something better.
--
duane