Opinions?

Old October 17th 16, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Opinions?

I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he suggested a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has anyone ever ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion of it?
Old October 18th 16, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/17/2016 5:53 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 10-17-2016 13:38, wrote:
I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he
suggested
a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has

anyone ever
ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion
of it?

I haven't. But you could call it "I Dolomiti" and make it
Italian.

Ass-uming the Peugeot family had licensed their name to some
chinese racket I did a quick search and found:
http://cycles.peugeot.fr/

Oddly, the whois service can't resolve that address (??) so
it's not clear to me who owns the URL or who makes those
bicycles. Does anyone here know either?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 18th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 10-17-2016 13:38, wrote:
I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he
suggested
a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has

anyone ever
ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion
of it?

I haven't. But you could call it "I Dolomiti" and make it
Italian.

Ass-uming the Peugeot family had licensed their name to some chinese
racket I did a quick search and found:
http://cycles.peugeot.fr/

Oddly, the whois service can't resolve that address (??) so it's not
clear to me who owns the URL or who makes those bicycles. Does anyone
here know either?

Since "Contact" and "MyPeugeot" lead to the site of the car maker I'd
assume they still own the bicycle business as well. Of course, that does
not mean they won't outsource the production of frames or whole bikes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 18th 16, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ZhUKxbwJO8M%3A
Old October 18th 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 7:38:26 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he suggested a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has anyone ever ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion of it?

I don't know who makes Peugeot bikes, but it's a large French operation of ancient provenance and very high reputation. The Peugeot Ten-Speed of 1960s or 70s was responsible for much of the cycling resurgence in the States; Jay or Andrew can tell you the gory details.

I owned a Peugeot mountainbike until 2002. When I bought it, c1990, it was quite literally the most expensive bike in Ireland. It was beautifully soldered up from tightly butted alloyed steel tubes and painted to perfection, and fitted up with choice Sachs-Huret components. I still see it on the street, under its present owner, going strong after more than a quarter-century. So, if it was such a great bike, why did I lose it? For one thing, Sachs-Huret sold out to a Chinese company and you couldn't get the authentic parts any more, and anyway I always hated the oval crank. But that was just about money and leaning on my LBS to get me the right parts if he wanted to live. What really killed that bike for me was that the tubes were proportioned for the big jumps and I ride almost exclusively on tarmac; the thing jarred even on smooth roads. My back paid for a very nice new BMW for my physio, so I leaned about bike fit and balloon tyres and so on, and started importing touring bikes instead of sporting bikes, and have been happier ever since.

In short, you can expect a Peugeot at the top end of the range -- I dunno where the Dolomite falls in the Peugeot range -- to be beautifully and strongly made from first class materials, and fitted up with first class (if in the past eccentric; pun intended) components. However, Peugeot is so large, it is entirely possible that lower down the range there are more cheaply made and fitted bikes, as in almost every range you look it.

Andre Jute
Nothing is more important in cycling than the fit of your bike to your body and personality
Old October 18th 16, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

In short, you can expect a Peugeot at the top end of the range ...snip... However, Peugeot is so large, it is entirely possible that lower down the range there are more cheaply made and fitted bikes, as in almost every range you look it.

It just goes to show, you never can tell.
Old October 19th 16, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 11:38:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he suggested a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has anyone ever ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion of it?

I remember in the 80's that the PX-10 was a GREAT bike. But it had all French threaded headset and bottom bracket and so those bikes are rather worthless now since you can't get any good components for them.
Old October 19th 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 2:00:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 11:38:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I usually buy Italian bikes but while talking to a guy he suggested a Peugeot Dolomites as a modern French racing bike. Has anyone ever ridden one of these things and if so what is your opinion of it?

I remember in the 80's that the PX-10 was a GREAT bike. But it had all French threaded headset and bottom bracket and so those bikes are rather worthless now since you can't get any good components for them.

I know a shop that has a quality road and a quality MTB Sachs Huret complete groupset still in the boxes including the large box the individual component parts boxes are in for $250.00 Canadian each groupset.

Cheers
Old October 19th 16, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

POOJOE's are commonly derided as total garbage.

Opinions? FAT Racing 15 July 15th 11 09:00 AM
PRS-20... Opinions? K2 Techniques 11 November 24th 05 12:36 AM
Your opinions about the following please.. Derk Techniques 6 August 14th 04 10:48 PM
Opinions please Alan UK 5 July 28th 04 01:18 PM
Opinions Please ;- dukey81 Australia 3 November 19th 03 10:44 PM