Floor Pumps

Old June 16th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Floor Pumps

On 16/06/2017 2:27 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 5:21:04 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

And the gold coachlines make my bike faster...

Andre Jute
Oh, to have Sheldon and Jobst back with us.

My bike is faster because I have red paint on the black frame. There's
this poser that tried to beat me the other day, but his bike had black
paint on the red. What a loser...

BTW, I've had this pump for a while and it works well:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/eq...or-pump/117291

Old June 16th 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 12:21:04 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

Racers now fill their tires with nitrogen, as do many bike sharing
systems. You can use the hose at Costco tire centers to fill your tires
with nitrogen for free, or you can buy a tank and get it filled at a
welding supply place, and buy a Presta valve hose and coupler and this:
https://www.shopnitrogen.com/.

It's 7.7 Km from my place to the nearest Costco. I am not a member, and I
cannot justify a membership in what is a consumerist enterprise. Meanwhile, I
have a working pump at home that allows me to pump up my tires as required,
usually about twice a month. My approach meets the necessary and sufficient
conditions for safe operation of a bicycle.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old June 16th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 9:44:08 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 6/16/2017 9:17 AM, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

http://www.gonitrotire.com/nitrogen-tire-inflation-blog/putting-nitrogen-in-your-bike-tires/

The claims for nitrogen are utterly rediculous. In case you're unaware of it "regular air" is 78% nitrogen. You cannot obtain lower rolling resistance when there is about a 4% difference in molar weight as compared to "plain air".
Old June 16th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

And you get 78% N2 anyway...

--
duane
Old June 16th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/16/2017 12:17 PM, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

Racers now fill their tires with nitrogen, as do many bike sharing
systems. You can use the hose at Costco tire centers to fill your tires
with nitrogen for free, or you can buy a tank and get it filled at a
welding supply place, and buy a Presta valve hose and coupler and this:
https://www.shopnitrogen.com/.

Hahahahahaha!

Oh, and from that link: "... nitrogen tire inflation and proper tire
pressure are even more important for bike tires and bike riders since
bike tires typically hold less pressure than car and truck tires (normal
bike tires are usually under 30 psi ..."

What a strange world Mr. Scharf lives in!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 16th 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Old June 17th 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Alocomb

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:40:23 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/16/2017 9:17 AM, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

http://www.gonitrotire.com/nitrogen-tire-inflation-blog/putting-nitrogen-in-your-bike-tires/

That is simply ridiculous.

And, yes I do know a little about using nitrogen in tires as the Air
force used it years ago. But only in certain instances. Specifically
the tires on "fighter" airplanes that duo to space constraints use
ridiculously small tires for their weight and nitrogen expands and
contracts less due to temperature changes which means that tire
pressure changed less over time.

"Big" airplanes continued to use regular old air as their tires
weren't inflated to as high a pressure and tire volume is so much
greater temperature related volume changes just weren't important.

But I'm sure that just as skinny tires and plastic bicycles are so
important to the modern cyclist that nitrogen inflated tires will
become a new bragging point along with $250 Oakley dark glasses.

We call it the "Look at me, see how much money I can spend"
generation.

But then, anyone who made claims that a completely equipped machine
shop was necessary to drill a hole in a piece of very thin tubing will
probably fall for the "wonders of anything NEW".
--

Cheers,.

John B.
Old June 17th 17, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...-XalqQA32w3HM:

SHELL ads N in the gasoline. I haven't pursued this but stumbled over crit that the N was a refinery byproduct n S decided pumping N back in was AAA
Old June 17th 17, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 3:32:38 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 7:56:02 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
On 16/06/2017 2:27 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 5:21:04 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
One issue with floor pumps is that they fill the tire with ordinary air.
No one uses ordinary air for bicycle tires anymore.

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

And the gold coachlines make my bike faster...

Andre Jute
Oh, to have Sheldon and Jobst back with us.

My bike is faster because I have red paint on the black frame. There's
this poser that tried to beat me the other day, but his bike had black
paint on the red. What a loser...

BTW, I've had this pump for a while and it works well:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/eq...or-pump/117291

A few years ago I was in the phone store waiting for a schoolgirl to finish buying a phone. She'd brought a giggle of friends along to advise and consent on this important purchase. When she picked up one phone, one of her girlfriends said, "That's a loser's phone." She dropped it as if it were redhot. After she bought another, inferior phone, I put my finger on the "loser's phone" and said to the store manager, "How many of these will you sell, now?" He shook his head. "The company hates for me to send phones back to the warehouse." I made him a half-price offer to take the rest of his stock off his hands, which he was happy to accept. I still use those superior "loser's" all-carved-ali, longlife-battery, Apple 4S iPhones.

When I was an academic psychologist, I used to say people's motivations were crazy, but a few years in applied mass motivation in advertising cured me of such snobbery: I discovered I was the one out of step, that irrational and crazy is normal, hew-yuge on the bell curve, the earth mother of all medians. Maybe Scharfie's joke is truer than he knows, maybe nitrogen makes cyclists psychosomatically faster (somehow, heh-heh; Jobst is spinning in his grave!).

Andre Jute
I believe you, red on black is faster than black on red; stands to reason when you ask yourself which makes the heavier perceptual and psychological impact: the black on red appears as a weight retarding the progress of the red. Simple. Of course, this doesn't apply to blind cyclists.

John, the Air Force uses nitrogen because it doesn't oxidize and rot expensive tires that normally last many years. Unlike bike tires that have a HUGE external surface area vs lifespan.
Old June 17th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 10:46:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...-XalqQA32w3HM:

SHELL ads N in the gasoline. I haven't pursued this but stumbled over crit that the N was a refinery byproduct n S decided pumping N back in was AAA

How do you suppose they measure contaminants in the exhaust?

Presta Tubes and floor pumps Sammy Shuford Techniques 8 May 19th 06 08:41 PM
Leather Washers for Old Floor Pumps Mark Shefrin Techniques 4 July 28th 05 02:22 PM
floor pumps yirg Techniques 11 July 8th 05 12:39 AM
Best offer: Silca & Medai floor pumps, need rebuild (pick up in NYC area) J. Chup Marketplace 0 September 16th 04 09:56 PM
Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps? Jon Noring General 34 August 16th 03 05:28 AM