Rock n Roll

Old June 18th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rock n Roll

On 2017-06-17 11:34,
wrote:
Frank, On my Eddy Merckx I was using an old chain so I would lube
it with Rock n Roll and let it dry over-night.

The chain would stay relatively clean though it did deposit a
layer of something on the rear derailleur pulleys that was a real
pain in the butt to get off.

When you're using your wax technique do you find any build-up on
the cogs, rings and pulleys?

Which of their three lubes did you use?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews...gold-lubricant

Is it better than White Lightning? The process seems quite wasteful,
dripping on a lot and then wiping away the run-off.

I've had the pulley gunk with any lube so far, whether chainsaw
oil, motor oil or some fancy bike product. I take a knife, hold the
blade against the pulley, turn the crank backwards ... splat ... a
clump falls onto the work bench. When cleaning the MTB chain before
a re-lube I collect a total of about one shotglass full of gunk
from the pulleys, cogs and chain. Dirt, clay, sap, caked animal
poop, "star thistle mousse", and so on.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Rock n Roll Gold. Like I say, I spot each link and let it dry over
night and the chain has yet to squeak. And that chain which I just
replaced was pretty old. My friend used it at least for a year, and
he was putting in 6,000 mile years. But he squirts lube on it before
every ride I believe. And he cleans the chain religiously very often.
You can always touch his chain and only get a little clean lubricant
on your fingers.

I am probably more like your friend, babying chains a lot. I apply lube
to each link using a Q-Tip. White Lightning Epic Ride gets shaken for a
good mix, then I squirt the roughly needed quantity into an old
shotglass and dab it on. After a thorough cleaning, of course.

Maybe I should try that Gold stuff. It seems to contain wax just like
Epic Ride. Possibly performance would be the same but one would only
know after trying. Entered into my wiki file but I still have a large
bottle of White Lightning to use up.

So do I. As well as "Finish Line", two types of Pedro's, Dumonde, Chain Coat, and several others.
Old June 19th 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/18/2017 12:24 PM, Joerg wrote:

I am probably more like your friend, babying chains a lot. I apply
lube to each link using a Q-Tip. White Lightning Epic Ride gets shaken
for a good mix, then I squirt the roughly needed quantity into an old
shotglass and dab it on. After a thorough cleaning, of course.

How long does that take you?

The cleaning? Depends on where I was riding. A few minutes for the road
bike yesterday. My road bike has a good dose of dirt trail exposure. On
the MTB this can easily consume 15mins or more because there often is
"weed parfait" and other nasty stuff caked into everything. Where you
need scraping and poking tools. Sometimes solvent if vegetation with
lots of sap got sucked in.

The actual lube job took less than a minute.

Wow. If your Q-tip procedure takes less than a minute, you're dabbing
with that Q-tip about twice every second, including time to re-dip that
Q-tip in the chain lube.

You're fast, all right!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Has it not occurred to you that the cotton ball at the end of a Q-Tip
can hold enough lube for several joints? Over-lubing a chain is not a
good thing but a mess.

You're fast, all right!

Look at a Q-Tip and then try to lube something with it. Maybe it'll sink
in. Maybe not.

Old June 19th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I'll have to try that method since I have a lot of waste with one drop per link.
Old June 19th 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I have small plastic bottles with a very fine tip on them. They used to hold drops for my dog's ears but I use them now for oil. The very fine tip puts a drop of oil precisely on the roller of the chain link and the oild flows under the roller and onto the pin. It takes less than a minute to oil the entire 9-speed chain and there's no dripping of oild onto the floor or elsewhere. There's also usually no oil on the outside of the links where it's not needed and would only act as a dirt magnet.

Cheers
Old June 19th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It also results in nothing dropping onto the side of the tire or onto
the workbench. Even though I have a Kleenex there it sometimes went
through when using the prescribed spout method. Most of all, without
dripping or having to wipe off copious amounts of excess lube a bottle
goes much longer when using Q-Tips. Epic Ride isn't exactly cheap. Now
an 8oz bottle lasts me almost a year.

Q-Tips are one of the key inventions of civilized man. Very useful for
lots of stuff except their original market of cleaning ears. Just like
duct tape :-)

I have small plastic bottles with a very fine tip on them. They used
to hold drops for my dog's ears but I use them now for oil.

Those should work well. We switched to the wipes for our Labradors. Less
mess with the drop stuff running back out or splattering everywhere when
they shake.

... The very
fine tip puts a drop of oil precisely on the roller of the chain link
and the oild flows under the roller and onto the pin. It takes less
than a minute to oil the entire 9-speed chain and there's no dripping
of oild onto the floor or elsewhere. There's also usually no oil on
the outside of the links where it's not needed and would only act as
a dirt magnet.

I usually run a dry wipe underneath in case something does seep down.
And yes, it does take less than a minute even if Frank won't believe it.

Old June 19th 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I didn't know Duct Tape was for cleaning ears.
Old June 19th 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 09:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It's too painful :-)

Old June 20th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 1:23:41 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

And yes, it does take less than a minute even if Frank won't believe it.

Two dabs per second for the entire chain? Yes, I won't believe it, unless you
post a video. Sorry for the skepticism.

- Frank Krygowski