Recovery and Diet

Old August 16th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Recovery and Diet

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 10:44:52 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Joy Beeson writes:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:25:24 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Whatever did people do before Google Maps?

I measured my route with a knotted string.

That would be quicker than Google Maps if I could buy paper maps.

Once I'd gotten around to knotting the string.

Never tried heaving the log on a bicycle. I suppose on a tandem that
would be the stoker's job.

Not necessarily. An attachment might be made the electric shift (for
power) and a simple timer and some sort of winch to retract the log
line.

I would imagine that with a proper sales program that they might
become as vital a piece of equipment as a power meter.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:03:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/16/2019 10:42 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and
the ones on each bike have been even more useful.

Agreed. I have no sense of direction and often find myself moving
opposite the direction intended. I made sure to get a compass in the
car, and carry one on the bike whenever going anywhere unfamiliar.
Both have been useful many times.

I don't enjoy looking at the map on my cellphone -- when zoomed out
enough to plan a route all the street names disappear. But being able
to find my location once totally lost is quite handy.

One former cycling friend of mine (now gone, killed on a badly designed
bike facility) told me about a ride in a small plane to a city maybe an
hour or two away, owned by a friend of his.

His friend navigated by following the property lines and road grid,
which are mostly N-S-E-W west of here. But when they took off to return,
he mistook west for east on the cloudy day. They flew out of their way
for quite a while!

Years ago I worked at a facility that trained U.S.A.F. pilots and
certainly the instructors all told the students about following
railroad tracks and highways :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 11:28:34 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 5:52:01 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:35:34 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:47:15 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:17:38 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

For your information, not that I need to provide, I've never smoked a
cigarette or tried smoking one in my entire life. You sir, are
completely delusional.

Cheers

Your delusions began when you started considering yourself some sort of
expert at anything. What have you done for a living since your replies
seem to indicate that it was something like ditch digging or hod
carrying.

Over here, ditch diggers, also called plumbers, generally gross more over
a lifetime than top surgeons.

Chalo is an East Indian name. Ask yourself what would happen to him if he so much as mentioned abortion in India. His parents would disclaim him.

Strange isn't it?
https://www.name-doctor.com/name-Cha...alo-46764.html

germanic / latin

NAME ROOT:
*GUNTHO / *GUNžIZ SALVUS / SAIWALA GUNDISALVUS

MEANING:
This name derives from the Medieval Latin and Germanic (Visigoth)
name "Gundisalvus", composed of two elements: the Germanic element
"guntho / *gunžiz\u201d (battle, fight, act of killing, blow, to
strike) plus the Latin word \u201csalvus\u201d (safe, well, unharmed,
untouched, saved, healthy, intact). The second element, however, could
also be attributed to the Germanic (Gothic) "saiwala", meaning "soul,
spirit". The popular meaning is "one who assists in battle". Saint
Gonzalo (or Gundisalvus) (~1040\u20131108), a medieval Galician
nobleman and clergyman, was the long-serving Bishop of Mondo?edo from
1071.

Do you suppose those E. Indians are speaking Latin?
--
cheers,

John B.

Explain to us all why you are talking about this rather than Chalo? Do you have his power of attorney?

I don't require a power of attorney to try and educate a fool.
although I must admit that it seems like an up hill battle as our
fool is a so much greater fool than other fools.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering whether you have applied for admission in the Guinness
book of records, in the foolish category.
(I'll bet that you have)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Friend of mine used to say he used IFR navigation in his
small plane. "I Follow Roads"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 17th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

I'm not sure whether it was taught as a standard navigation practice,
but why not. There is only one river in the region and it runs north
and south... There is only one railroad in the region and it runs
north and south.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

It's a pilot joke.
More expensive airplanes can fly on instruments only rather
than visual - if you have instruments.

Old August 17th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

While you are not incorrect, student pilots are first trained in VFR
(visual Flight Regulations) before learning IFR (Instrument flight
Regulations).

One of the reason is that when one is up there buzzing around and
wants to come down it is a lot easier to just go where you can see :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 17th 19, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

More expensive pilots can fly IFR. Modern instruments are like Garmins on steroids, probably because they are Garmins on steroids. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-t...2-c583-p1.html

My brother's latest plane: http://www.tbm.aero/products/tbm-700/ 300 knots. Fast mo-fo.

He just retired from the airlines after 30 years, and I flew with him through all of his ratings. The worst was aerobatics. I didn't have the stomach for it.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 17th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/16/2019 2:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/16/2019 11:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/16/2019 4:53 AM, wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 5:22:27 AM UTC+2, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but
I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a
GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the
electronic lady
inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which
direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or
minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at
times, and the
ones on each bike have been even more useful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank even the simpliest GPS can tell you in what
direction one drives or rides. It is one datafield on my
GPS based cycling computer.In the map screen there is
always an arrow visible pointing to the north:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U81c9afmiqmHeBkr7

Google Maps uses a little circle or similar icon to show
your location, and a "spray" of light to show the direction
your facing. The "spray" is about 120 degrees wide. That
reflects the uncertainty in the orientation.

IME, this matters most often when exiting something like a
parking lot at a complicated intersection, where the lot
itself may not be represented and angles are not easy to
ascertain. It's not generally a problem while moving on roads.

I have a good sense of direction but that's stymied by suburbs with
twisty loopy streets. On a cloudy day or at night there's no way to
maintain any sense of place or direction. I hate that. [besides which
they are expensive to pave, expensive to plow, expensive for deliveries,
inefficient for emergency vehicles etc etc]

And they are much less useful as bicycle route alternatives to major
streets or roads. The alternative, a grid system, almost always has a
quieter road parallel to a busy one.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Diet Justin[_3_] UK 61 November 1st 12 08:08 PM
Doing the TdF on a vegan diet T. Miller Racing 2 July 2nd 11 02:46 AM
Diet Coker!!! unicyclepa Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:51 AM
Biker's Diet ackfugue Techniques 34 July 14th 06 11:23 PM
Time to diet? Martin Bulmer UK 1 May 2nd 05 11:51 AM