Bike I.D.

Old March 10th 04, 06:00 AM
powinc

Default Bike I.D.

What's the best way to positively identify your own bike

I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and o
the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie

Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike?

powin

-

Old March 10th 04, 06:16 AM
amirm

powinc wrote:
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?
I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on
the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.
Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??
powinc

Just a couple of ideas (not sure if feasible):

1. Security companies use a special pen to write info like the driver'
licence on goods. The writing is almost invisible but the ink wil
light up with UV

2. HSV uses a similar technology (I think) on their cars. The
call it DNA

Hope this provides some clue to start with

Cheers, Amir

-

Old March 10th 04, 10:15 AM
cfsmtb

powinc wrote:
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike? I engraved my
son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on the head
stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie. Are there
more astatic ways of marking one's own bike?? powinc

A personal fave of mine is to make your bike as weird or unappealing as
possible to thieves.

Another alternative is to contact your local neighbourhood watch, who
should be able to engrave a license no. prefixed with a state letter
under the bottom bracket. http://www.neighbourhoodwatch.com.au

If you check the above website for Victoria you will see its "Mark it in
March" month.

Old March 10th 04, 09:45 PM
ftf

powinc wrote:
What's the best way to positively identify your own bike?
I engraved my son's name on his BMX underneath the bottom bracket and on
the head stem, but I feel this may be a bit harsh on my new roadie.
Are there more astatic ways of marking one's own bike??
powinc

I saw something in this month's Bicycle Victoria magazine that wa
basically some sort of transmitter that you put down the seat-tube. I
not sure how its activated but the idea is that you can identify you
bike (and im guessing here but possibly find out where it is) throug
this transmitter

It's not heavy and it wasn't expensive... I will look up the detail
tonight if i remember... unless anyone else knows what im talking about

Cheers, Tro

-

Old March 11th 04, 02:40 AM
Graeme

ftf wrote in news:W%L3c.28$r34.22
@fe09.usenetserver.com:

I saw something in this month's Bicycle Victoria magazine that was
basically some sort of transmitter that you put down the seat-tube. Im
not sure how its activated but the idea is that you can identify your
bike (and im guessing here but possibly find out where it is) through
this transmitter.

I've got one of these in my bike which I bought when I lived in the UK. The
one I have is a DataTag www.datatag.com. It is unpowered but emits a
radio signal with a code when the relevant equipment is held close to it. I
think the problem here would be the "relevant equipment" part, apparently
all UK police forces have the right stuff (probably supplied by the
manufacturer) but if Australian police don't have it then the DataTag is
effectively useless.

There's a mention of them here http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/car-
research/secure-car/secure-valuables.shtml in reference to protecting
cars, but the price is much higher than I paid for the bike version. I paid
around about $70.

Graeme
Old March 11th 04, 06:44 AM
C3

What about some sort of medium-powered transmitter that sends a
specially-coded beacon on a certain VHF/UHF frequency? Send it using code
division to enhance the range of the device.

It could be designed so that if it hasn't received an "unlocking code" from
a device that you carry with you, for a certain number of hours (12? 24?)
then it starts transmitting its signal, which should be detectable.

Have it installed inside your frame so that it uses the frame as an antenna,
and possibly have it inductively powered by your pedalling to charge a
battery.

This is all hypothetical...

cheers,

C3

Old March 11th 04, 07:33 AM
John Doe

"C3" ) wrote in message
What about some sort of medium-powered transmitter that sends a
specially-coded beacon on a certain VHF/UHF frequency? Send it using code
division to enhance the range of the device.

It could be designed so that if it hasn't received an "unlocking code"

from
a device that you carry with you, for a certain number of hours (12? 24?)
then it starts transmitting its signal, which should be detectable.

Have it installed inside your frame so that it uses the frame as an

antenna,
and possibly have it inductively powered by your pedalling to charge a
battery.

This is all hypothetical...

cheers,

C3

How big are those E-Purbs. Surely someone could get something like this in
the space of a seat tube. They are small but squarish but tubes are long.
Would work better than an ordinary transmitter.

Old March 11th 04, 08:07 AM
Graeme

"John Doe" wrote in
:

How big are those E-Purbs. Surely someone could get something like
this in the space of a seat tube. They are small but squarish but
tubes are long. Would work better than an ordinary transmitter.

Yes, but EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacons) are only for
use in emergency. I think if you used one to track a stolen bike you'd end
up with a seriously p*ssed off rescue service and with luck, a very large
bill for wasted time.

Graeme
Old March 11th 04, 08:54 AM
John Doe

"Graeme" wrote in message
4.51...
"John Doe" wrote in
:

How big are those E-Purbs. Surely someone could get something like
this in the space of a seat tube. They are small but squarish but
tubes are long. Would work better than an ordinary transmitter.

Yes, but EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacons) are only for
use in emergency. I think if you used one to track a stolen bike you'd end
up with a seriously p*ssed off rescue service and with luck, a very large
bill for wasted time.

Graeme

Sorry. I was sort of thinking outside the box. I meant the idea of one not
actually one that calls for emergency response. What I mean is something a
little better than a vhf transmitter.