Jazmo's verson of RR: METEC Point Score 11-Mar-04

Old March 14th 04, 11:15 PM
jazmo

Default Jazmo's verson of RR: METEC Point Score 11-Mar-04

METEC RACE REPORT. 11-Mar-0

Here’s my version of the METEC race report that Hippy has also posted
Hipster and myself agreed that we’d post separate race reports withou
reading one another’s so here goes. Should make for an interestin
comparison of accounts

All up, a very satisfying race - despite that fact that I didn'
get anywhere

The format of this criterium was a points race. There were three sprint
at approximately 15 minute intervals. Riders get points for comin
first, second and third

A cheeky move right from the start would determine the results of th
day

There were a mixture of standards in the group consisting of the
grader ‘Ben’ from St Kilda cycling club, ‘Ross’ ,who had apparently bee
recently riding the complete spectrum of grades (A grade one week,
grade another week, C grade another week and even D grade.) and severa
C and D graders (I’m a C grader)

Ben was given a handicap so that he wasn’t able to earn as many point
as the other riders by coming first in each sprint

Well, the cheeky move came from Ross who attacked right from the star
line. For the first lap or so everyone was happy to watch him ride away
Then we started chasing

It wasn’t long after the chase started that Ben attacked. No one reall
bothered to go with him – he was just too strong. So the rest of th
bunch were left chasing

At this point the pace was getting too fast from some of the riders wh
dropped off the back of what remained off the bunch. Ben quickly catc
up with Ross

From memory, there ended up being three groups. Ben and Ross were ou
front with quite a large gap over Rick, Hippy and myself who made u
the first chasing group. Another group trailing behind include
Anthony, Gavin and Michael (they’re the only ones I can remember) wh
would end up riding their own race

Anyway, the first sprint was contested by Ben and Ross, I think Be
would’ve won. The sprint for third was between Rick and Hippy (I was i
no position to even try). I think it was Rick who got third. I the
chased those two for a few hundred metres and was able to get back ont
them. It took me a lap or so to recover from the chase after which I wa
able to work at the front and help chase again

After this, Ben got away from Ross

The second sprint saw Ben getting over the line alone with Ross (stil
on his own and just in front of our group) getting second. Don’t kno
who won the sprint for third, but I think it was Rick. I chased Rick an
Hippy down again after the sprint (I was dreading the sprints)
Throughout the race Rick, Hippy and myself worked well together in th
chase. I was working near my limit when I got to the front in order t
keep up the chase pace. We eventually caught Ross not long after th
second sprint. I think it was at that stage that Ben lapped the fiel
and settled into our bunch which now consisted of Ben, Ross, Rick, Hipp
and myself. Not long before the finish, Ben attacked again. No on
bothered chasing him, leaving him to win the final sprint alone. I foun
myself on the front in the final lap and lead out our bunch sprint. Ric
came around me with about 150m to go and won the sprint followed by Ros
and Hipster followed by me rolling across the line

Ben and Ross ended up being equal on points with Rick getting the rest

All in all that was one of the best workouts I’ve had in a race so far
There’s no doubt in my mind that racing is the best form of trainin
(hill climbing comes close)

Later

-

Old March 15th 04, 02:45 AM
hippy

jazmo wrote:
METEC RACE REPORT. 11-Mar-04

Schweet! Nice report. I'd love to see more. We recalled prett
similar stuff. That's good as it means my brain does wor
occasionally during races! :

www.cyclingnews.com should have results up soon. You were right with al
your placings I think

hipp