Cateye Altimeter?

Old March 7th 05, 10:38 PM
Shawn Amir

Default Cateye Altimeter?

Is Cateye no longer producing the CC-AT100, their wired altimeter--it is not
on their US web site? Was something wrong with that model or just slow
sales? Are there any other "wired" models available in the US?

Cheers, Shawn

Old March 8th 05, 08:40 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Is Cateye no longer producing the CC-AT100, their wired altimeter--it is
not on their US web site? Was something wrong with that model or just
slow sales? Are there any other "wired" models available in the US?

Cheers, Shawn

Shawn: Yes, the AT100 remains in production, although sales are rather slow
these days. It's a rather dated-looking design, pretty big & clunky compared
to other offerings. Supposedly new ones are more accurate than the older
ones, but I haven't verified that in real life yet.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 8th 05, 04:12 PM

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Is Cateye no longer producing the CC-AT100, their wired

altimeter--it is
not on their US web site? Was something wrong with that model or

just
slow sales? Are there any other "wired" models available in the

US?

Cheers, Shawn

Shawn: Yes, the AT100 remains in production, although sales are

rather slow
these days. It's a rather dated-looking design, pretty big & clunky

compared
to other offerings. Supposedly new ones are more accurate than the

older
ones, but I haven't verified that in real life yet.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I have the Cateye AT100 altimeter cycle computer. I do not use it
anymore. It had the annoying habit of showing I was going 60 mph for a
few seconds when it had shown I was going 18 mph only seconds earlier.
I am fairly certain I did not sprint up to 60 mph in mere seconds.
This is the only Cateye computer, I have 5 or 6 of them on my various
bikes, that ever caused me to doubt their quality. The altimeter was
fun to look at and use on hilly rides. I have no idea if it was
officially accurate or not.

Old March 9th 05, 05:48 AM
Giga Watts

I also have the AT100 and it works pretty well, but has some
idiosyncracies.
First, when the battery is on it's way out, the speed and altitude will
fluctuate (as russellseat noticed). It just means that it's time to
replace the battery.

And, the altitude, on mine, is about 720 feet off (it reads 720 feet
higher than actual). I've brought it to sea level and it read 720.
And where I live, at about 5000 feet Above Sea Level, it shows about
5720. It's pretty consistent, but remember that it's a barometric
altimeter and will vary with different weather!

What I've done is to create a little benchmark outside my home. I've
borrowed my friend's GPS found that this spot is 4960 feet ASL. I use
that spot to then calibrate my AT100.

I've replaced the battery on my AT100 two or three times in the five
years I've had it. Just figure on replacing it when you replace the
batteries in your smoke detectors!

Happy trails,

GW