Triathlism: an incredibly unserious sport

Old January 10th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Triathlism: an incredibly unserious sport

On Jan 10, 8:55*am, Anton Berlin wrote:
We live in a very rich nation. No one's gonna starve. People should do
what they enjoy doing. Buying things doesn't bring happiness.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Money doesn't buy happiness. *It buys freedom.

Too often - freedom to live a meaningless existence.

Freedom is just another word for nothing else to lose.

You have an obvious, and fairly typical, love-hate relationship with
money. Here's what you do - tithe. Don't do it at a particular
religion's behest - do it because it is liberating, provides a
definite sense of "getting something for your money", and it takes
away the guilt associated with having more money than you need to
live.

There are a number of people on this very forum that tithe to the
"church" of their choosing. Ryan, for example, donates to the Church
of -OH and frequently gives more than ten percent.

Old January 11th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

On Jan 10, 8:55*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

Money doesn't buy happiness. *It buys freedom.

Too often - freedom to live a meaningless existence.

Is there any other kind of existence? Have you ever read "On the
Origin of Species"? It's perfectly rational to jump into the socially-
created money pit to purchase a period of comfort until you die.
Old January 11th 11, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 10, 9:18*pm, Mark wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:55*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

Money doesn't buy happiness. *It buys freedom.

Too often - freedom to live a meaningless existence.

Is there any other kind of existence?

I suppose it depends on where people believe the meaning is supposed
to come from. If you believe it comes from inside yourself, of course
there's meaning - you just have to give it the meaning. It's simply
living a deliberate life. If you believe that meaning has to come
from some higher power that lives on a cloud, well...that's not my tea
biscuit, but if it works, it works.

People that complain about life being meaningless are like people
parked on the couch eating a bag of chips complaining about being
fat. Do something about it or just shut up.

Old January 11th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jan 10, 8:18*pm, Mark wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:55*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

Money doesn't buy happiness. *It buys freedom.

Too often - freedom to live a meaningless existence.

Is there any other kind of existence? *Have you ever read "On the
Origin of Species"? *It's perfectly rational to jump into the socially-
created money pit to purchase a period of comfort until you die.

I'm writing as an observer not as a victim - although I've had my
shinky moments in life.

I don't buy into the heaven and hell - god fantasy but probably end up
being just as intellectually vulnerable from the belief that the
'energy' continues and comes back to the playground we've designed
here. ( Alan Watts - The Book )

However, I don't think it's like Groundhog Day, statistics would
predict for every life wasted on RBR and EBAY there are hundreds of
lives to live in the slums of Africa and the factories of China.

In that case I'd prefer to believe that 'nothing' happens and the end
is the end - problem is I have my own personal experience that is very
much in conflict with 'nothing'.

I've got 'hell' to pay - and actually I'm a pretty decent guy other
than playing around in here and the occasional slide.

Like most Americans - I prefer life, love and the pursuit of
materialness but know that it all can slip away pretty easily.

Old January 12th 11, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

On Jan 9, 2:40Â*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

Â*--D-y wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:32Â*am, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,

Â*--D-y wrote:
On Jan 8, 3:28Â*am, "Beloved Fred No. 1" wrote:
--D-y wrote:
Sometimes this place reminds me of a story a friend told me long ago,
about some gathering of English majors who had gone on to not make
very much money in the world of academics.

Frederick the Great wrote:
At least they knew when they were splitting an infinitive.

(BF#1 wrote):
Shirley that's something Liz does ?

Hey Fred, that's what it pays. Don't complain!

"To not make" is good English. Communication, please, and maybe a
little creativity, a little syncopation-- or maybe just being
oblivious of silly "rules".
Shakespeare. Beethoven. Just two examples of people who created on a
far, far higher plane. Point being: People complained about
Shakespeare's use of the language, and other people walked out of
presentations of Beethoven's music. Be glad you weren't one of them,
they missed a good show.

Again, despite our best efforts with the handbasket, Hell doesn't seem
to be getting any closer. Relax, enjoy the trip.

Excuuuuse _Me_, William Snake****.

Excuuuused! (Nonstandard spelling in service of communication noted
and recorded)

1. Â*You are not a master of English prose.
2. Â*It is clear that `Excuuuuse' is deliberate.
3. Â*You did not know you that split an infinitive.
4. Â*An academic would know when he split an infinitive,
Â* Â* putting him one up on you.

Microbrains, both of you :

"To not make very much money"
connotes something subtly different than
"To make not very much money"

This should not be hard to figure out.

Then why have you not figured out that
I was not criticizing the use of a split infinitive? Hmmmmmmmm?

--
Old Fritz
Old January 12th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 11, 9:00*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

I've got 'hell' to pay - and actually I'm a pretty decent guy other
than playing around in here and the occasional slide.

I didn't see that one coming - a guy thinks he's a decent guy. Alert
the presses, and I'm not talking about Michael.

Old January 12th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Jan 9, 1:04*pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:15*am, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."

wrote:

In industrialized economies, this is no longer true. Moreover, not
only are poor people fatter, they reproduce at a higher rate. The
instinct to keep up with the Joneses is an anthropological/
evolutionary relic which has outlived its purpose.

dumbass,

we can't totally change your brains. we all need some autonomy, some
security and a certain amount of personal attention to be happy.

Dumbass -

Doing what one loves does not necessarily result in security, but it
does, IMO, result in more autonomy and personal attention.

Autonomy? self evident. Attention? If one does what one loves, one is
much more likely to excel at it. That usually results in positive
attention from others.

Old January 12th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 12, 1:16*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:

Dumbass -

Doing what one loves does not necessarily result in security, but it
does, IMO, result in more autonomy and personal attention.

Autonomy? self evident. Attention? If one does what one loves, one is
much more likely to excel at it. That usually results in positive
attention from others.

Jowls yanks it while looking at pictures of LANCE and crying. He's
the best in the world at it. You feel he's getting positive
attention? Or is he the exception that proves a boil?

Old January 12th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

wrote:

Dumbass -

Doing what one loves does not necessarily result in security, but it
does, IMO, result in more autonomy and personal attention.

Autonomy? self evident. Attention? If one does what one loves, one is
much more likely to excel at it. That usually results in positive
attention from others.

Jowls yanks it while looking at pictures of LANCE and crying. *He's
the best in the world at it. *You feel he's getting positive
attention? *Or is he the exception that proves a boil?

Amit said "personal attention." Kurgan turned that
into "positive attention," but Amit is right. Lafferty is
one of the best in the world at what he does (although
Kimmage and Walsh are more successful), and it
results in personal attention from those of us in rbr.
We are clearly the only people who give Lafferty
any attention anymore. He needs us. It's good to
feel needed, you know.

Fredmaster Ben

Old January 13th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

In article ,

wrote:

In industrialized economies, this is no longer true. Moreover, not
only are poor people fatter, they reproduce at a higher rate. The
instinct to keep up with the Joneses is an anthropological/
evolutionary relic which has outlived its purpose.

dumbass,

we can't totally change your brains. we all need some autonomy, some
security and a certain amount of personal attention to be happy.

Dumbass -

Doing what one loves does not necessarily result in security, but it
does, IMO, result in more autonomy and personal attention.

Autonomy? self evident. Attention? If one does what one loves, one is
much more likely to excel at it. That usually results in positive
attention from others.

With the Dunning-Kruger exception, of course.