Numbers to think about

Old July 29th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CowPunk

Default Numbers to think about

Let's assume that the labs and their tests are 99% accurate.

The UCI did around 12000 tests last year, and about 380 came back
positive. These are just rough numbers off the top of my head.
It worked out to around 3.8% of all tests came back positive.

So, if you take that 99% accuracy number and apply it,
you end up with roughly 1 out of 3 positives due to bad testing.

Old July 30th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tim Lines

CowPunk wrote:
Let's assume that the labs and their tests are 99% accurate.

The UCI did around 12000 tests last year, and about 380 came back
positive. These are just rough numbers off the top of my head.
It worked out to around 3.8% of all tests came back positive.

So, if you take that 99% accuracy number and apply it,
you end up with roughly 1 out of 3 positives due to bad testing.

It's been a million years since I took a probability class so I must
have just confused myself. Someone please straighten me out here.

If the probability of a false positive is .01 then the probability of
both A and B samples receiving a false positives is .01 * .01 = .0001.
I think that means that ~1.2 times a year someone innocent should fail
both the A and B sample despite being clean.

That's got to be wrong.
Old July 30th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CowPunk

1% of 12000 = 120

120:380 ~ 1:3

Old July 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Tim Lines" a écrit dans le message de news:
CowPunk wrote:
Let's assume that the labs and their tests are 99% accurate.

The UCI did around 12000 tests last year, and about 380 came back
positive. These are just rough numbers off the top of my head.
It worked out to around 3.8% of all tests came back positive.

So, if you take that 99% accuracy number and apply it,
you end up with roughly 1 out of 3 positives due to bad testing.

It's been a million years since I took a probability class so I must have
just confused myself.

I too

Someone please straighten me out here.

If the probability of a false positive is .01 then the probability of both
A and B samples receiving a false positives is .01 * .01 = .0001. I think
that means that ~1.2 times a year someone innocent should fail both the A
and B sample despite being clean.

That's got to be wrong.

Let put it in other way.

We have 12000 test and 1% have a wrong result. 1% out of 12000 = 120.

In the 120 we have some Good Guys wrongly called cheaters, and some cheaters
called Good Guys

OK ?

Let see the distribution of this mistake :

380 Positive * 1% = 3.8 ( so 3.8 out of 380 are clean guys called cheaters)

12000-380= 11620 Negative * 1 % = 116.2 (so 116.2 are cheaters but found
Good guys.)

Let see if there is a mistake . 116.2 + 3.8 = 120

Ok 120 is what we expected.

In short around 4 out 380 or 1 out 95 are poor guys called cheaters but they
are not..

On other side 116 out of 11620 or around 1 out of 100 are lucky cheaters

Once again why did you said 1 out of 3 ????

Old July 30th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CowPunk

If the probability of a false positive is .01 then the probability of both
A and B samples receiving a false positives is .01 * .01 = .0001. I think

No I said 99% accuracy. Errors could be based on mishandling sample,
contamination, etc.... I just don't believe that a lab is 99.9%
accurate in their work.

We have 12000 test and 1% have a wrong result. 1% out of 12000 = 120.

Yes

380 Positive * 1% = 3.8 ( so 3.8 out of 380 are clean guys called cheaters)

So now you are applying 1% again.
Which means you are calculating based 0.1% accuracy. 1%x1%

Where we are diverging is you are applying 1% to the positives, while I
am applying 1%
to the total # of tests. IMHO, Accuracy of a test applies to the total
# of tests performed.

Old July 30th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

CowPunk wrote:
Let's assume that the labs and their tests are 99% accurate.

The UCI did around 12000 tests last year, and about 380 came back
positive. These are just rough numbers off the top of my head.
It worked out to around 3.8% of all tests came back positive.

So, if you take that 99% accuracy number and apply it,
you end up with roughly 1 out of 3 positives due to bad testing.

I'm not a medical technician, and I don't play one on TV, but I have
heard from reliable sources that the false-positive and false-negative
rates in medical testing can be substantially different. For all I
know, this might be the rule rather than the exception.

An illustration with made-up numbers: Some test might have a false
positive rate of 10% (10% of those who are really "negative" are deemed
"positive" by the test) while only returning a 3% false negative rate
(only 3% of thoses truly "positive" are "missed" by the test). Again,
these numbers are entirely made up, only to illustrate the phenomenon.

Mark

Old July 30th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Emilio Lizardo

Montesquiou wrote in
:

CowPunk wrote:
[...]