Taylor Phinney Article

Old January 26th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Taylor Phinney Article

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:

On Jan 25, 4:34 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

The velodrome is a gerbil wheel. Not even Andy Hamster rode it and he's
a hamster, which is very close to a gerbil.

Magilla

Andy Hampsten rode the track at Junior Worlds. His event? The
pursuit. Let me know if you want the details, I just came across them
the other day when I was cleaning out my basement.

-rj

Everybody makes mistakes as a teenager, including The Hamster.

Magilla
Old January 26th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bret wrote:

"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch."

Magilla
Old January 26th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Jan 26, 10:22*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Bret wrote:
"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch."

Magilla

AFAIK, he was playing soccer in Italy until a few years ago when the
family returned to Boulder.
Old January 26th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bret wrote:

"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch."

Magilla

AFAIK, he was playing soccer in Italy until a few years ago when the
family returned to Boulder.

In other words, he's been racing and riding his bike since he was 5.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old January 26th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

Bret wrote:

"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch."

Magilla

AFAIK, he was playing soccer in Italy until a few years ago when the
family returned to Boulder.

In other words, he's been racing and riding his bike since he was 5.

Thanks,

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

From what I've seen, most kids in Italy spend the day practicing
wheelies on their scooters.

Bret
Old January 26th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bret" wrote in message

From what I've seen, most kids in Italy spend the day practicing
wheelies on their scooters.

Where are you living right now Bret? When I was visiting France a few years
ago the thing that really shocked me was that I never saw a single
recreational cyclist until a couple of days before the finish of the Tour de
France in Paris. In a little more than a week in Burgundy I saw one cyclist
and he was a farmer heading out to his fields pulling a cart load of tools.

Old January 26th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Bret wrote:
"That kid is on a whole other level at 17 years old. He's truly
gifted. He's doing things right now, today, off the couch, that 90
percent of the world's population would never attain no matter how
good the training. He's another species. He's neither slow-twitch nor
fast-twitch, he's 'all-twitch.'"

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13945.0.html

So Allen Lim consider a guy who has been racing and riding a bike at
altitude for the past 12 years to be someone who is "off the couch."

Magilla

Dumbass (hey, that felt good, I called him a dumbass)

If you knew anything at all about mini-Phinney, you'd know he'd been
riding very recreationally at best up until he started racing two
years ago. He's been kicking ass and taking names since stepping up
to the elite cats.

You can bring up Evanshine or whomever you want as an example of a
shining star that faded away, but none of the folks you bring up had
parents, or a support structure, like Taylor. All the difference in
the world.
Old January 27th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG

Bret wrote:
[...]

Dumbass -

It always warms my heart to see parents living vicariously through
their children.

sarcasm off

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old January 27th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bret wrote:

[...]

Everybody I brought up had parents. It's an undisputed fact.

I would like to bring up Evanshine again. He won worlds and then he
imploded. What ever happened to Tyler Farrar - I thought he was suppose
to be the next big deal? How about Roy Knickman? What about Poppy-bitch?

The fact is if mini-Phinney grows up and tries to ride clean on
Slipsemen with Anorexic Drew Carey, he will ride himself into oblivion.

Winning a World Athletic Cup event on the TRACK in the U.S. is a lot
like Evanshine winning worlds in Colorado. Most of the Olympic medal
contenders for the pursuit don't even want to be good right now because
it's a waste of time, money, and emotions.

I am confident Phinney will be outside the medals in Beijing.
Everything about his ramp-up is wrong. All these early season world
athletic cup events dilutes their importance because few of the top
people contest them and even fewer show up in an Olympic year.

Phinney winning a World Athletic Cup pursuit in an Olympic year is like
Mari Holden winning the world championship in the time trial in an
Olympic year. The real world championships in an Olympic year is the
****ing Olympics. In 2000, van Moorsel was the world chammpion in the
time trial, not Mari Holden.

**** the LA gerbil wheel.

Magilla
Old January 27th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG

Bret wrote:

[...]

That is all true.

Ya gotta admit though, a 17 year old riding a 4:24 is impressive.

I vote for doping and some TdF wins.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.