Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma

Old February 22nd 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma

I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.
Old February 23rd 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Feb 22, 5:15 pm, wrote:
I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.

I can't think of a better value than a Surly LHT complete bike which
goes for under $1K. It's classically specced:

Rims Alex Adventurer
Hubs Shimano Deore XT
Spokes DT Swiss stainless-steel, 14g
Tires WTB Slickasaurus, 700 x 35c
Crankset Sugino XD600
Chainwheel 48/36/26
Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur Shiamano Deore XT
Rear Cogs Shimano Deore, 11-34
Shifters Shimano bar-end
Brake Levers Tektro aluminum
Brakes Tektro Oryx cantilever

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=9329

54" and under have 26" wheels.
Old February 23rd 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

"landotter" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 5:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Can't agree more. One thing, it only comes in brown or green (IIRC), so
hope wife doesn't mind either color.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thejen12[_2_]

On Feb 22, 3:15*pm, wrote:
I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. *Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. *In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. *Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.

My husband has the Soma Smoothie ES and loves it. It fits your
specs. I looked at both Soma and Surly, and it seems like Soma makes
a lighter bike. However, neither of those manufacturers make a bike
that would fit me (too long in the top tube), so keep the geometry in
mind when shopping for your wife.

Jenn
Old February 23rd 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

thejen12 wrote:
On Feb 22, 3:15 pm, wrote:
I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.

My husband has the Soma Smoothie ES and loves it. It fits your
specs. I looked at both Soma and Surly, and it seems like Soma makes
a lighter bike. However, neither of those manufacturers make a bike
that would fit me (too long in the top tube), so keep the geometry in
mind when shopping for your wife.

Gunnar makes full custom geometry versions of their frames, if that is
needed for proper fit: http://www.gunnarbikes.com/custom.php. $1075 to
$1175 for a custom, hand made frame is a good deal.

Old February 25th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jack Murphy

I love my Gunnar Sport. I run fenders, 28's (I've even run 32's) and front
and rear racks and taken it touring in the Ozarks Mountains, on the Katy
Trail, and various places in Kansas (which is not always flat!)

Then I put 25's on it, take off the fenders and racks, and spring and summer
keep up with the fast guys on road rides. Its a perfect century bike,
comfortable for an all day ride and light enough to be fast (enough for me
anyway). Last year had an awesome ride on Triple Bypass in Colorado. That's
where the quality frame really shone, as I was able to ascend faster than
anyone around me and it was perfectly stable flying down the mountains.

I am looking for a heavier duty touring bike, though, as I'm pushing the
limits on this bike when I'm fully loaded (50lbs including stove, camp gear,
tent, etc). I've been looking at the Surly Long Haul Trucker, but I'm not
looking forward to the stablity/strength/weight tradeoff that bike offers.
But for real long distance touring I know I can't keep overloading the
Gunnar if I want it to be around 25 years like my Trek commuter.

Good luck
Jack

wrote in message
I am looking for a steel frame to build up for my wife who will use
the bike for commuting and longer day rides. Thus it will need
fenders and enough clearance for 28cc tires, triple chainring, longer
chainstays, very stable geometry. In essence what some may consider
to be a pretty boring, but to my mind a very rewarding kind of a ride.

Gunnar, Soma and Surly all make frames to fit this need but Gunnar's
are getting a bit pricey. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how
these three brands compare in value?

Thanks.

Surly Pacer or Soma Smoothie ES? Gooserider General 10 December 19th 06 12:31 AM
FA: 54cm TT c-c Gunnar Road Dog Frame and Colnago Steel Fork bkayco Marketplace 0 May 7th 06 09:59 PM
Bikes / frames specifically made for the snow other than Surly Pugsey? slipandfall Techniques 13 December 23rd 05 12:03 AM
BB on steel frames PJay Techniques 8 November 1st 05 03:16 AM
Where are Surly Pacer frames made? Fritz Techniques 4 May 17th 05 12:07 AM