The nightmare goes on, Ricco caught with EPO

Old July 17th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default The nightmare goes on, Ricco caught with EPO

On Jul 17, 8:29*am, wrote:

Also, the Mayo case shows that B samples will continue being tested
until the positive is confirmed, so these days a positive A sample is
enough to convict.

-ilan

Nascar seems to be learning from us too:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/auto+racing
Quoted:

NASCAR apparently thought Yeley's team was up to something like that.
So NASCAR showed the Hall of Fame team who was boss. It applied the
kind of "justice" that some people still think is colorful, if a bit
heavy-handed. The problem was, Yeley's team wasn't "up" to much of
anything.

Bill C
Old July 17th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Owens[_2_]

On Jul 17, 6:58*am, Keith wrote:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breve...53_ricco-posit...

So it seems he wasn't saved by his natural hematocrit level.

Velonews already has it wrong - "Unlike single injections of rEPO,
CERA interacts with erythropoietin receptors and has a longer-lasting
effect."

Single injections of rEPO certainly interact with EPO receptors or it
would have no activity.

CERA is a "pegylated" form of EPO. Pegylated forms of protein-based
drugs have PolyEthylene Glycol polymers (upper case letters for show
only) covalently bound to one end of the drug. If you're (drug
companies) lucky, this doesn't interfere with the biological activity
but profoundly decreases it's ability to be broken down by the body
(longer lasting). Longer lasting doesn't mean better, just it could
be considered more convenient for the patient to get an injection once
every few weeks instead of several times per week. Pegylated forms of
drugs are available for other types of medications as well.

My guess is that it is tested for in a very similar manner to the
current urine EPO tests.
-Mike
http://www.psychiatry.emory.edu/rese...armacology.htm
Old July 17th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

Pillory might be preferable, at least that way everyone can observe
the injustice.

I'm trying to figure out why Keith seems to find this entertaining.

Old July 17th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

I use Cera F "Turbo" in skiing. Different stuff though. But fast!
Old July 17th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Jul 17, 10:00*am, Bill C wrote:
On Jul 17, 8:29*am, wrote:

Also, the Mayo case shows that B samples will continue being tested
until the positive is confirmed, so these days a positive A sample is
enough to convict.

-ilan

Nascar seems to be learning from us too:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/auto+racing
Quoted:

NASCAR apparently thought Yeley's team was up to something like that.
So NASCAR showed the Hall of Fame team who was boss. It applied the
kind of "justice" that some people still think is colorful, if a bit
heavy-handed. The problem was, Yeley's team wasn't "up" to much of
anything.

Bill C

This just up too:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...08/jul17news4a

Daniel Friebe: In the last twenty minutes we've heard that Riccardo
Riccò has tested positive for an EPO-like product. The early reports
suggest that Riccò used CERA or Micera. a so-called third generation
EPO. What's your reaction?

Michel Audran: Wow. I'm stunned. I'm amazed they're saying it's
Micera, simply because there's no validated test for that yet. The
World Anti-Doping Agency is working on a test, but it certainly
doesn't exist yet.

More there

Bill C
Old July 17th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
saxophool

On Jul 17, 7:00*am, Bill C wrote:
On Jul 17, 8:29*am, wrote:

Also, the Mayo case shows that B samples will continue being tested
until the positive is confirmed, so these days a positive A sample is
enough to convict.

-ilan

Nascar seems to be learning from us too:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/auto+racing
Quoted:

NASCAR apparently thought Yeley's team was up to something like that.
So NASCAR showed the Hall of Fame team who was boss. It applied the
kind of "justice" that some people still think is colorful, if a bit
heavy-handed. The problem was, Yeley's team wasn't "up" to much of
anything.

Bill C

Lead in his water bottle? That is some serious doping!
Old July 17th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Jul 17, 7:54 am, wrote:

These days, TdF dopers and other miscreants are put in "garde a vue"
by the French police

dumbass,

duenas was taken into custody only after a search of his room turned
up illegal substances. this apparently is the procedure for dealing
with criminal cases - in this case the possession of doping products.

the initial AAF motivated the search, but it wasn't the reason he was
taken into custody.

you can question the point of using the police to fight cheating in
sports, but the fact remains if you break the laws in a country you
risk being prosecuted under that legal system.
Old July 17th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
I use Cera F "Turbo" in skiing. Different stuff though. But fast!

Are you sure you've been using it correctly?

Bob Schwartz
Old July 17th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

| Seeing as how Ricco is now criminally liable, I'd wonder what would
| happen if, say, Landis' lawyers took Ricco's case and brought the
| quality of the evidence into question in front of a real court, instead
| of the allegedly-impartial sport tribunals.

Isn't Ladis' lawyer now 0-2?

I'm against the shoddy testing & appeal procedures as much as anybody. But at the same time, we have to accept that many ARE doping. We come across sounding pretty darned silly making claims about the terrible system in place without mentioning the serious need to get things cleaned up. The credibility of both sides is questionable at best. One side needs to take the lead and establish a nearly-foolproof nearly-inarguable system to regain credibility. And it's clear it's NOT going to be the riders and/or teams.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Don Piven" wrote in message ...
| wrote:
| These days, TdF dopers and other miscreants are put in "garde a vue"
| by the French police which means being locked in a cell with hardly
| anywhere to sit, no food, water, sleep impossible, and incessant
| accusatory questioning and threatening harassment by the police, all
| this without having the right to a lawyer for the first 72 hours.
| Pillory might be preferable, at least that way everyone can observe
| the injustice.
|
| Let me see if I understand the situation:
|
| 1) A rider gives a sample.
| 2) The sample is tested by a testing lab (say, LNDD) using procedures of
| questionable accuracy under questionable controls.
| 3) The lab pronounces the sample as testing positive.
| 4) The rider is booted from the tour, and
| 5) Spends the next few days in le bagne.
|
| In the US, that'd be like being pulled over, cuffed, and jailed because
| some local yahoo with a badge says his radar clocked you as going 200
| mph over the limit.
|
| Seeing as how Ricco is now criminally liable, I'd wonder what would
| happen if, say, Landis' lawyers took Ricco's case and brought the
| quality of the evidence into question in front of a real court, instead
| of the allegedly-impartial sport tribunals.

Ricco Freako SLAVE of THE STATE Racing 17 July 19th 08 12:05 AM
Ricco new sprinting technique Dan Gregory Racing 4 March 14th 08 03:41 AM
$2,000,000,000,000 nightmare [email protected] General 28 March 8th 08 11:36 PM
Ricco gets a raise 15x ! Keith Racing 6 July 11th 07 04:03 PM
omg this is a nightmare Lucas1wheel Unicycling 5 January 30th 07 04:30 PM