Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 11th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Training or Plain Riding?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:10:21 -0800 (PST), hizark21
wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:31*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:03:23 -0800 (PST), hizark21

wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:49*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:44:20 -0800 (PST), hizark21

wrote:
Carbon fiber is still prone to delamination and sudden failure.

What does this mean?Are you saying the many, many bikes being ridden
now by racers are "prone" to sudden failure?

Nonsense.

If you have a deep nick, gouge or crash on a carbon fiber frame then
there is the chance that the frame could eventually develop a stress
facture and break. With unidirectional stress weave cloth this problem
is much less, but still there is this chance.

Dude, would you ride a steel fork with deep nick or gouge *in the
metal?

And is eventually developing a stress fracture and breaking the same
as sudden failure?

One can similar degrees of damage which appears harmless on steel yet
on a composite frame can cause it to fail. You can crash with a carbon
fiber handlebar and it appears safe. Yet a few weeks later busts. With
steel and aluminum the material is more ductile so it is more
forgiving.

So ,what about the question about if you would you ride a steel fork
with deep nick or gouge *in the metal?

Old December 11th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

wrote:
[...]

A fork can withstand a lot of damage and still be safe. I have
straightened and realigned forks and they had no problems. This you
could never do with a composite frame.
Old December 11th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Allow me to rephrase the question.

Dude, would you ride a steel fork with deep nick or gouge in the
metal?

Bob Schwartz
Old December 11th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
[...]

So, what about the question of if you would ride a steel fork with a
deep nick or gouge in the metal?
Old December 11th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

hizark21 wrote:
A fork can withstand a lot of damage and still be safe. I have
straightened and realigned forks and they had no problems. This you
could never do with a composite frame.

A fork can withstand a lot of damage and be on the verge
of failure. I don't straighten or realign damaged forks
because forks are cheap to replace relative to the value
I place on the skin on my ass.

Seriously. I used to ride stuff until failure, and after
a enough failures I came to the conclusion that that
wasn't a smart thing to do.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 11th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Dec 11, 6:33*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:25:32 -0600, Bob Schwartz

wrote:
I've broken my share of frames and forks, all of them were
factory produced steel.

In spite of my own personal experience I would never recommend
people avoid steel.

I had a ti frame break. *Bike break. *One of the top (in terms of
quality) manufacturers of steel bikes in the country -- probably the
guy who influences the person Bill C mentioned -- said to me "Bikes
break. Mine can break. *Well designed bikes don't break much and mine
sure don't, but they can."

Dumbass -

No matter how technologically advanced the materials of bicycles
become there will always be frames/parts that fail because of the
premium placed upon light weight. The frames/parts will always be
engineered to be as light as possible up to the point of an "accepted"
failure rate (whatever that may be).

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old December 11th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Dec 11, 2:05*pm, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

No matter how technologically advanced the materials of bicycles
become there will always be frames/parts that fail because of the
premium placed upon light weight. The frames/parts will always be
engineered to be as light as possible up to the point of an "accepted"
failure rate (whatever that may be).

As an aside: when we did that trip over the Andes, we used low end
steel mtb frames because they were not engineered for lightness.
Nothing broke.

We were passed along the way by this Swiss freak who was doing a 6
month Prudhoe Bay Alaska to Tierra del Fuego trip. He had some top of
the line racks which had to be repaired in Central America by welding
rebar to the failed members. Highperformance/lightweight = greater
incidence of failure.
Old December 11th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bill C" wrote in message

Once again JT you went straight to the not up to current info, being
played by the evil Svengali Rasputin steel bike builder attack mode.
Upon further review you really do seem to be a miserable human being.
You've tap danced all over the issue here. First carbon stuff doesn't
break, then nothing recent breaks, then you challenge me to show it to
you, and when I do you blow it off. Typical.

The strange thing is that JT went from one of the most honest and well
respected members of this group to one of the looniest and least respected.
I don't quite follow what caused his dramatic about face.

Old December 11th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
hizark21 wrote:
A fork can withstand a lot of damage and still be safe. I have
straightened and realigned forks and they had no problems. This you
could never do with a composite frame.

Allow me to rephrase the question.

Dude, would you ride a steel fork with deep nick or gouge in the
metal?

I see it pretty often. And as hizark pointed out - steel forks were commonly
bent out of shape, re-straightened and used for thousands of miles with no
ill effects. You cannot do that with composite forks.

Old December 11th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
some top of the line racks which had to be repaired

Rack repair man, now there's a career idea.

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 22nd 04 12:28 AM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 10:25 AM