Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 6th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Training or Plain Riding?

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

If you were even a half decent engineer, you'd figure out that it's
fast and easy to pinpoint a set of bearings that will outlast the rest
of the wheelset, buy them with a few clicks of the mouse and install
them.

I do find it comical that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking
about but don't have a problem demonstrating it to everyone else.

Doers do. Complainers complain.

And those who know nothing always seem to be able to tell others what to do.

Old December 7th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Dec 6, 12:48*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

If you were even a half decent engineer, you'd figure out that it's
fast and easy to pinpoint a set of bearings that will outlast the rest
of the wheelset, buy them with a few clicks of the mouse and install
them.

I do find it comical that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking
about but don't have a problem demonstrating it to everyone else.

Dumbass -

If only you knew. If you're ever in San Diego, I'll show you around
the shop. It's likely, deduced from the content of your posts, that
you don't know how most of the **** works.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old December 7th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Dec 6, 12:48*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

If you were even a half decent engineer, you'd figure out that it's
fast and easy to pinpoint a set of bearings that will outlast the rest
of the wheelset, buy them with a few clicks of the mouse and install
them.

I do find it comical that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking
about but don't have a problem demonstrating it to everyone else.

If only you knew. If you're ever in San Diego, I'll show you around
the shop. It's likely, deduced from the content of your posts, that
you don't know how most of the **** works.

How bizarre was that? You post a simple solution to the "problem" he was whinging
about and he says *you* don't have a clue? Tom's connection to reality when it comes
to things like this is tenuous, at best. Like the time he insisted that Look makes
the molds for their cleats on manual mills in North Africa and that I didn't "have a
clue" about how molds are made. I think you know a bit about what my knowledge level
is in machining.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 7th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_2_]

Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

[...]

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway. And the fork failures described both
involved crashes where operator error was the root cause and a crash
would have occurred whether the fork failed or not.

Bret

Old December 7th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bret Wade wrote:
I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway. And the fork failures described both
involved crashes where operator error was the root cause and a crash would
have occurred whether the fork failed or not.

Fork failure ? Perhaps it was allegorical.

Old December 7th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
m...

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway.

Did you possibly see where undersized bearings did? By the way, those same
size bearings are used in many wheels.

And the fork failures described both involved crashes where operator error
was the root cause and a crash would have occurred whether the fork failed
or not.

Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If it
bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me which you
would prefer.

As for operator error - do you actually believe that you aren't going to
make the occasional error and if the equipment is designed properly it will
keep that error from becoming serious?

Old December 7th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If it
bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me which you
would prefer.

dumbass,

i've never seen a steel fork "bend" while riding, that just doesn't
happen.

ive seen a steel fork break at the steerer while the rider was just
riding along. i've also seen a carbon cross fork fail this way.
Old December 7th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Amit Ghosh wrote:
Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If it
bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me which you
would prefer.

dumbass,

i've never seen a steel fork "bend" while riding, that just doesn't
happen.

ive seen a steel fork break at the steerer while the rider was just
riding along. i've also seen a carbon cross fork fail this way.

I had a steel fork leg break at the joint with the crown. The brake
started rubbing so I stopped to adjust it. As soon as it was unweighted
the fork leg rotated to the ground.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 7th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Bret Wade" wrote in message
m...

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of
stupid light racing equipment anyway.

Did you possibly see where undersized bearings did? By the way, those
same size bearings are used in many wheels.

Your problem sounds like the bearings were just out of adjustment anyway
since you describe play as the main symptom. I can't see cartridge
bearings developing much play without coming out of adjustment.

And the fork failures described both involved crashes where operator
error was the root cause and a crash would have occurred whether the
fork failed or not.

Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If
it bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me
which you would prefer.

I think the endo was unavoidable in both cases once the operator error
occurred. It might even have been worse without the benefit of a crumple
zone.

As for operator error - do you actually believe that you aren't going to
make the occasional error and if the equipment is designed properly it
will keep that error from becoming serious?

You're talking about the wheel here? You consider the wheel to be
improperly designed because it allowed you to stick your foot through
the spokes? You sound like a man with a lawsuit in mind. Which makes me
wonder which side Jobst would take as an expert witness.
Old December 8th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
m...
Tom Kunich wrote:
"Bret Wade" wrote in message
m...

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway.

Did you possibly see where undersized bearings did? By the way, those
same size bearings are used in many wheels.

Your problem sounds like the bearings were just out of adjustment anyway
since you describe play as the main symptom. I can't see cartridge
bearings developing much play without coming out of adjustment.

If you don't understand why didn't you just ask instead of assuming
something stupid? There was FREEPLAY in the bearings from wear. It doesn't
take much and then the freehub started skipping.

And the fork failures described both involved crashes where operator
error was the root cause and a crash would have occurred whether the
fork failed or not.

Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If it
bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me which
you would prefer.

I think the endo was unavoidable in both cases once the operator error
occurred. It might even have been worse without the benefit of a crumple
zone.

Why are you simply inventing a series of events when all you have to do is
look at the accidents that occur to cyclists to see that I was simply
reporting what happens and not inventing anything?

As for operator error - do you actually believe that you aren't going to
make the occasional error and if the equipment is designed properly it
will keep that error from becoming serious?

You're talking about the wheel here? You consider the wheel to be
improperly designed because it allowed you to stick your foot through the
spokes? You sound like a man with a lawsuit in mind. Which makes me wonder
which side Jobst would take as an expert witness.

Here's a clue - I have had several cases in which I could have sued someone
and didn't because unless there's a wildly inappropriate action on someone
else's part you shouldn't sue.

Again you simply invent actions instead of addressing reality. Is there a
reason for that?

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 22nd 04 12:28 AM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 10:25 AM