Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 10th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Training or Plain Riding?

On Dec 10, 1:07*am, Fred Fredburger
wrote:

The word "good" is sometimes misleading. Expensive and "good" are not
always the same things. Also, "good" for racing up the Alps in the TdF
is not always "good" for riding on crappy urban roads.

If instead of using those bearings as an example, I wonder whether more
people would have agreed with you if you'd chosen tires. I know a LOT of
people who maintain a separate wheelset because they know that their
expensive racing tires wont take the punishment of training rides.

This is not so much a question of which is "best" as it is a matter of
serving the particular purpose.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think I know anyone who races even vaguely seriously that
doesn't do this. I know most of the established Jr. coaches around
here will tell the kids and parents that, both to conserve equipment
and save money. As both you and Tom point out though the race stuff
tends to be lighter, faster, AND more fragile. I've been amazed at how
well an old set of Dura-Ace wheels, along with Michelin Pro Race tires
have held up with a kid bike commuting to work on them. Yes, he's a
complete Fred.
Bill C
Old December 10th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Fred Fredburger" wrote in message

If instead of using those bearings as an example, I wonder whether more
people would have agreed with you if you'd chosen tires.

The fact is that although I ride a lot I shouldn't wear out wheel bearings
in two years. And I've done this with three different specialty hubs. Is it
strange that I haven't done that with Campy or Shimano hubs?

Old December 10th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

" wrote in message

some are the result of people taking lightweight
performance gear that's intended to last six months
of road riding under a 120 pound Anorexic Drew Carey
with a professional mechanic, and riding it for years
over potholes under fat asses without maintaining
it or checking for problems.

Gee, you don't suppose that's what I'm talking about do you? Yet if you go
into a bike shop you'll find the staff trying to sell those "light weight
performance gear" wheels.

Part of the problem is that they want to sell something more expensive. But
a lot of the problem is that there aren't many wheels available that are
designed for hard use and still be good training wheels.

Old December 10th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

Tom Kunich wrote:

Carl, let's remember that most riders aren't capable of making
intelligent decisions so it is probably best that they don't have a say
in equipment.

This post represents what your biggest problem is Tom. You have
unrealistic ideas as to your own intelligence and you truly believe that
no one is as smart as you. Good thing for the rest of humanity that you
are wrong on both counts.

Thanks

Bill
Old December 10th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:09:49 -0800 (PST), Amit Ghosh wrote:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=3Dfullstory&id=3D6180

"Server object error 'ASP 0228 : 80004005'

Lost in translation: those "3D"-s got into it somewhere between Google
Groups and Agent. Try http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6180

Did they give the weight of that thing anywhere in that article?

Old December 10th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Dec 10, 10:29*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
" wrote in message

some are the result of people taking lightweight
performance gear that's intended to last six months
of road riding under a 120 pound Anorexic Drew Carey
with a professional mechanic, and riding it for years
over potholes under fat asses without maintaining
it or checking for problems.

Gee, you don't suppose that's what I'm talking about do you? Yet if you go
into a bike shop you'll find the staff trying to sell those "light weight
performance gear" wheels.

Part of the problem is that they want to sell something more expensive. But
a lot of the problem is that there aren't many wheels available that are
designed for hard use and still be good training wheels.

Hey Tom
If I can't kill 'em their unkillable and we, me and our great local
shop, have settled into mavic open pros or ma 40s, 32 spokes, with
ultegra hubs and I was able to ride those for years here on the frost
heaved, potholed roads, at an obscene weight for anything on a
bicycle, and they are still holding up, couple of sets got used by the
kids for cross too.
Not sure most shops are going to push that kind of combo since it's
not "sexy", just durable, reliable, and a solid value.
Bill C
Old December 10th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Bill C wrote:

Hey Tom
If I can't kill 'em their unkillable and we, me and our great local
shop, have settled into mavic open pros

My favorites. The only sure way of knocking them out of true is to put
'em in a bag and let the airline baggage handlers at 'em.
Old December 10th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bill C" wrote in message

If I can't kill 'em their unkillable and we, me and our great local
shop, have settled into mavic open pros or ma 40s, 32 spokes, with
ultegra hubs and I was able to ride those for years here on the frost
heaved, potholed roads, at an obscene weight for anything on a
bicycle, and they are still holding up, couple of sets got used by the
kids for cross too.
Not sure most shops are going to push that kind of combo since it's
not "sexy", just durable, reliable, and a solid value.

I never had any problems with such a set-up either. But I fell for the
specialty wheel idea pretty hard and I have almost a dozen sets of them. And
most of those have the undersized bearings pioneered by American Classic.
They roll nicely and of course the hubs are all very light but they do wear
out rather rapidly under a 200 lber.

Old December 10th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"William R. Mattil" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

Carl, let's remember that most riders aren't capable of making
intelligent decisions so it is probably best that they don't have a say
in equipment.

This post represents what your biggest problem is Tom. You have
unrealistic ideas as to your own intelligence and you truly believe that
no one is as smart as you. Good thing for the rest of humanity that you
are wrong on both counts.

The real problem here is that you probably haven't built bicycles for young
racers. I've built professional racing motorcycles - flattrack, motocross
and road racers - as well as road racing bicycles used for racing around the
USA circuits. Most racers don't know anything about bicycles other than how
to pedal but some of them are more than willing to tell you what needs to be
done and most of the time it is ridiculous. That doesn't mean that you don't
listen because sometimes the rider knows exactly what needs to be done, but
unfortunately it is rare.

So tell me - why is it that knowing something to you means thinking I know
everything?

Old December 10th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Dec 10, 2:32*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Bill C" wrote in message

If I can't kill 'em their unkillable and we, me and our great local
shop, have settled into mavic open pros or ma 40s, 32 spokes, with
ultegra hubs and I was able to ride those for years here on the frost
heaved, potholed roads, at an obscene weight for anything on a
bicycle, and they are still holding up, couple of sets got used by the
kids for cross too.
Not sure most shops are going to push that kind of combo since it's
not "sexy", just durable, reliable, and a solid value.

I never had any problems with such a set-up either. But I fell for the
specialtywheelidea pretty hard and I have almost a dozen sets of them. And
most of those have the undersized bearings pioneered by American Classic.
They roll nicely and of course the hubs are all very light but they do wear
out rather rapidly under a 200 lber.

A search of rec.bicycles.* reveals that in the last year, only three
other threads contains the three words "wheel", "bearing" and
"failure" and none of them describe an issue with cartridge bearings.
This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant. Just like there was no "complete destruction of the American
electronics industry". You lack perspective.

Bret

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 22nd 04 12:28 AM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 10:25 AM