Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 10th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Training or Plain Riding?

"Bret" wrote in message

A search of rec.bicycles.* reveals that in the last year, only three
other threads contains the three words "wheel", "bearing" and
"failure" and none of them describe an issue with cartridge bearings.
This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant. Just like there was no "complete destruction of the American
electronics industry". You lack perspective.

Or you lack experience. But that usually comes at a price so be ready to pay
for it.

Old December 10th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bret" wrote in message

This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant.

By the way Bret, I haven't noticed that anyone has been talking about broken
forks and frames either but according to several shops in my area there are
a great deal more such failures than before.

Old December 10th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Dec 10, 6:01*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

By the way Bret, I haven't noticed that anyone has been talking about broken
forks and frames either but according to several shops in my area there are
a great deal more such failures than before.

Tom one of our longtime, well connected Jr. team folks wont let their
kids ride carbon forks after several catastrophic crashes. The failure
rate, and particularly the catastrophic rate was too much of a risk.
Bill C
Old December 10th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Dec 10, 3:59*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Bret" wrote in message

A search of rec.bicycles.* reveals that in the last year, only three
other threads contains the three words "wheel", "bearing" and
"failure" and none of them describe an issue with cartridge bearings.
This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant. Just like there was no "complete destruction of the American
electronics industry". You lack perspective.

Or you lack experience. But that usually comes at a price so be ready to pay
for it.

I have enough experience to replace my Crank Bros cleats when they're
worn. I beat you to that experience without paying the price you did.
Old December 10th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Dec 10, 4:01*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Bret" wrote in message

This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant.

By the way Bret, I haven't noticed that anyone has been talking about broken
forks and frames either but according to several shops in my area there are
a great deal more such failures than before.

I don't doubt that carbon fails at a higher rate when crashed hard.
Old December 10th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:10:29 -0800 (PST), Bill C
wrote:

Tom one of our longtime, well connected Jr. team folks wont let their
kids ride carbon forks after several catastrophic crashes. The failure
rate, and particularly the catastrophic rate was too much of a risk.

Are you saying he didn't trust those forks after they were involved in
catostropic crashes? That's reasonable.

Or are you saying that he believe carbons forks are somehow likely to
cause catostrophic crashes? That's nonsense.
Old December 10th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

wrote:
Tom one of our longtime, well connected Jr. team folks wont let their
kids ride carbon forks after several catastrophic crashes. The failure
rate, and particularly the catastrophic rate was too much of a risk.

Are you saying he didn't trust those forks after they were involved in
catostropic crashes? *That's reasonable.

Or are you saying that he believe carbons forks are somehow likely to
cause catostrophic crashes? *That's nonsense.

Yeah JT I am, and you know the person well since they are NECSA, and
Nebra.
Their experience is that steel and aluminium give warning. or crack
before snapping catastrophically. I haven't studied it, they have.
Bill C
Old December 11th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:44:47 -0800 (PST), Bill C
wrote:

Yeah JT I am, and you know the person well since they are NECSA, and
Nebra.
Their experience is that steel and aluminium give warning. or crack
before snapping catastrophically. I haven't studied it, they have.

You're saying something slightly different now - that it's about
warning before catosthropic failure.

But back to the original statement -- the idea that carbon forks have
any extra tendency to fail more often than steel or aluminum is just
baloney, despte whatever studies this person has claimed to have done.
Old December 11th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

"Bret" wrote in message

A search of rec.bicycles.* reveals that in the last year, only three
other threads contains the three words "wheel", "bearing" and
"failure" and none of them describe an issue with cartridge bearings.
This indicates that wheel bearing failures like you describe are not
rampant. Just like there was no "complete destruction of the American
electronics industry". You lack perspective.

Or you lack experience. But that usually comes at a price so be ready to pay
for it.

I have enough experience to replace my Crank Bros cleats when they're
worn. I beat you to that experience without paying the price you did.

Ha ha. But didn't you know: a set of worn out cleats is a "pedal failure." Oh
yeah, if you stick a foot into the rotating front wheel of your bike, you'll crash
hard, whether it's carbon fork that breaks or a steel fork that bends. Both will put
you on the ground hard. I suspect you already know that, of course. Too bad Mr.
Experience doesn't.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 11th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

wrote:
Yeah JT I am, and you know the person well since they are NECSA, and
Nebra.
Their experience is that steel and aluminium give warning. or crack
before snapping catastrophically. I haven't studied it, they have.

You're saying something slightly different now - that it's about
warning before catosthropic failure.

But back to the original statement -- the idea that carbon forks have
any extra tendency to fail more often than steel or aluminum is just
baloney, despte whatever studies this person has claimed to have done.

Hey since I haven't researched it your opinion is as good as theirs,
except anecdotally they claim to have picked more kids up off the
pavement with carbon forks than others.
Just mock them and move on.
Bill C
How's that Chicago/Daley/Illinois machine politics going today? Gonna
"mock" them?

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 21st 04 11:28 PM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 09:25 AM