Post-recall R-Sys wheel failure

Old June 9th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Default Post-recall R-Sys wheel failure

http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...-wheel-failure

Old June 9th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...-wheel-failure

This "modern" low spoke count wheels are failing like crazy. Not as bad at
that one of course but more and more people are going over the bars. Also
carbon frames are failing a lot more often than it's being let on.

Steel frames (though my Look and my Colnago are heavily enough built that I
don't have to worry about it) and 32 spoke count wheels are looking better
all the time.

Old June 9th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...rience---a-pos...

This "modern" low spoke count wheels are failing like crazy. Not as bad at
that one of course but more and more people are going over the bars. Also
carbon frames are failing a lot more often than it's being let on.

dumbass,

carbon spokes were tried back in the 90s and they didn't work then.
it's no surprise that the improved r-sys design can still
catastrophically fail.
Old June 9th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jun 9, 5:11*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Robert Chung" wrote in message

http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...rience---a-pos...

This "modern" low spoke count wheels are failing like crazy. Not as bad at
that one of course but more and more people are going over the bars. Also
carbon frames are failing a lot more often than it's being let on.

Steel frames (though my Look and my Colnago are heavily enough built that I
don't have to worry about it) and 32 spoke count wheels are looking better
all the time.

How do you know that CF frames are failing more frequently than is
being reported?
Old June 9th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

Steel frames [...] are looking better all the time.

Justin's steel Bianchi was a great bike.

Old June 9th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Robert Chung" wrote in message
http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...-wheel-failure

This "modern" low spoke count wheels are failing like crazy. Not as
bad at that one of course but more and more people are going over the
bars. Also carbon frames are failing a lot more often than it's being
let on.

Steel frames (though my Look and my Colnago are heavily enough built
that I don't have to worry about it) and 32 spoke count wheels are
looking better all the time.

That's a severe oversimplification. You can build a very sturdy
low-spoke-count (20 front 24 rear) wheel that can last a very long time.
I've got a set of Bontrager XXX-Lites that now have 21,000 miles on them
and have literally never been touched with a spoke wrench.

The issue is when we try to build stuff as close to the edge as
possible, and it's not the material used that's the problem, it's how
it's used.

As for steel, the manner in which it fails may be different, but trust
me, many, many steel frames failed back in the day. Typically
severely-buckled downtubes. You can claim oh, a "soft" failure that
doesn't cause a failure. Not quite. On a "tight" frame, the front wheel
would come back and hit the bottom of the downtube, bringing everything
to a sudden, screeching halt (I'm a member of that club). If a steel
frame wasn't crashed, and lived to its natural end, you'd often see a
torn seat tube, starting on the left side halfway between the front
derailleur and the bottom bracket. And before we had cassette hubs, a
lot of broken right-side dropouts, where it connected with the
chainstay.

The biggest issue with carbon is that people crash and don't look over
things very carefully afterward, due to their hope that everything's OK.
Denial. As in, don't want to know, it seems to ride OK. Plus the cost of
repair is so high, but that's true these days regardless of material.
We've entered the era of disposable frames. They do everything
fantastically as long as you stay upright, but if you think a 2.5 pound
frame can hold up as well as a 3 pound frame made of the same material,
think again!

The problem isn't with the materials, and maybe it's not even the
design. Maybe it's people who are willing to shell out $7k+ for a
cyclocross rig that can be destroyed in one outing. Maybe the fact that
there are customers for that sort of bike has skewed what the industry
believes we want (or is appropriate).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 9th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:16:46 -0700, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...-wheel-failure

Yeah, that sounds like rider error. The error of riding wheels with
little carbon spokes.
Old June 9th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.velonews.com/article/9305...-wheel-failure

Yeah, that sounds like rider error. The error of riding wheels with
little carbon spokes.

Maybe I should have given this the subject line: "Mavic is shocked ...
shocked! ... at the news."

Old June 10th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message

How do you know that CF frames are failing more frequently than is
being reported?

Let's just say I know.

Strange Failure (Trans X shock absorbing seat post), How to repair? Ron Hardin Techniques 14 July 18th 07 01:06 PM
Total wheel Failure [email protected] Techniques 99 June 13th 06 02:13 PM
Seat post failure confusion Richard UK 2 March 29th 05 03:55 PM
Adams Trail-A-Bike Recall: Possible Hitch Failure Sheldon Brown General 0 January 10th 05 10:45 PM
Adams Trail-A-Bike Recall: Possible Hitch Failure Sheldon Brown Techniques 0 January 10th 05 10:45 PM