Triathlism: an incredibly unserious sport

Old January 3rd 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

Default Triathlism: an incredibly unserious sport

In article
,
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Jan 3, 10:10Â*am, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:18Â*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...llington-inter...

Best female triathlete on the planet wasn't into sports until her 20s,
had a creepy relationship with her sex-offender first coach, and can't
really ride a bike. I'm not making any of that up.

Dumbass,

She split with the coach and I don't see where it says
she can't ride a bike, other than that as a novice she
had to be shown how to clip and unclip from pedals.
I mean, of course she can't ride a bike, she's a tri-geek,
but no evidence she's worse than the rest.

One of the first things he did was sign her up to do a long-course
triathlon in Alpe d'Huez, which takes place on some of the gruelling
climbs of the Tour de France. She got a puncture, catapulted over a
crash barrier and still managed to win.Â*

Yes, bike racers crash too, but I promise you that if any pros
catapult over a crash barrier during a TT, then...

1) I will laugh
2) They will not win that race

And also, grading triathletes on the curve of tri bike handling would
be emblematic of the soft bigotry of low expectations. I'm principled
enough to observe that they're terrible.

Mind you, cycling may be the second least serious pro sport around...

Second only to synchronized swimming.

--
Old Fritz
Old January 4th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Anyone who thinks triathlon is serious should be forced to watch this
over and over until they are cured:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI

Old January 4th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 1/3/2011 4:15 PM, Brad Anders wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:18 am, Ryan wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...llington-inter...

Best female triathlete on the planet wasn't into sports until her 20s,
had a creepy relationship with her sex-offender first coach, and can't
really ride a bike. I'm not making any of that up.

That's a really amazing article, on so many levels. Not a whole lot of
humility.

To her credit she's aware of her mental illness. She has OCD and
she revels in it. Laff has OCD and he's totally oblivious to it.

Fred Flintstein
Old January 4th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jan 3, 4:02*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
*Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Jan 3, 10:10*am, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:18*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

[...]

Or synchronized gerbil-wheel team pursuit
Old January 4th 11, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
TriGuru55x11

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:52:05 -0800 (PST), Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Jan 3, 11:58*am, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:05*am, Fred Flintstein
wrote:

On 1/3/2011 7:11 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:

Ryan - I think you're wrong. *Train for and do an ironman - it's a
****ing bitch.

Dumbass,

Hard != Serious

For example, RAAM is hard.

Dumbass -

Triathlon is serious.

There's a decent amount of money at stake. $$$ brings out the
seriousness.

In theory I can believe that. This interview was empirical evidence
you're wrong.

As painful as that video was to watch that, I still want to thank you.

That hit me hard and this for me was a real "moment of truth" "wake up and
smell the taint" kind of realization, I think I learned some valuable
things to help further train my clients.

I don't usually read this board and it is good to see there's worthwhile
information being posted.
Old January 4th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of my first ever triathlon... almost. I went to great
lengths to recon the route from the swim finish to where I'd racked my
bike, since I'd read how hectic it could be to search for your bike in
all the confusion. No one told me that if you're next to last coming
out of the water, it's not hard at all to find your bike. When I
think of all the time/energy I wasted that morning,...
Old January 4th 11, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

On Jan 3, 4:18 am, Ryan *wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...llington-inter....

Best female triathlete on the planet wasn't into sports until her 20s,
had a creepy relationship with her sex-offender first coach, and can't
really ride a bike. I'm not making any of that up.

That's a really amazing article, on so many levels. Not a whole lot of
humility.

To her credit she's aware of her mental illness. She has OCD and
she revels in it. Laff has OCD and he's totally oblivious to it.

She's destroying the competition - it kinda sounds like
any humility would be forced. I'd rather read that then
listen to yet another football player modestly thanking God
for his success (like God cares about beating the Broncos.
Okay, maybe God does care about vanquishing the
Broncos, but that doesn't explain His intervention in all
other games each week.)

Of course, she's destroying them partly because the
field is thin, but still, I think you practically have to have OCD
to be a top endurance athlete. I mean, not just the
training, but the whole weighing-the-oatmeal baggage.
It's not that you have to weigh the oatmeal to win -
it's that you have to have that need to care enough
to weigh it.

Fredmaster Ben
Obsessive, yet not a top endurance athlete
Old January 4th 11, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

[...]

If you're a triathlete, it's a good idea to not read this board.
Triathletes handle this place about as well as they do riding in the
middle of a pack.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old January 4th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

A few weeks ago a guy finally blamed god for a dropped pass.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-289770

Old January 4th 11, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't be so quick to judge -

1. Good triathletes are as elite as any cyclist ( I saw number of them
turn in 54 minute TTs on a hilly multi corner bad pavement course) and
that's after the swim in 60 degree lake water! Those guys would have
easily won every state championship tt that year.)

2. We barely talk about cycling anyway

3. His rants will probably be better than Ed Dolans

4. And you're ****ing swimming anyway so maybe you should be in the
tri forums