What's up with Bigha?

Old August 11th 03, 06:17 PM
'BentRider

Default What's up with Bigha?

I've found if someone has just paid full price for an item they they will
always say it was well worth it - otherwise they would appear to be foolish.
Maybe the true test is to see if they the bike up for sale three months
later with 200 miles on it. That's a review of sorts. Or ask them a year
later what they think.

That is why 'BentRider accepts reader articles but not owner reviews.
Bryan J. Ball
Editor/Publisher
www.bentrideronline.com
Old August 11th 03, 08:01 PM
MLB

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in
:

"MLB" skrev

Of course it doesn't have to be fast. I find it tedious at times, the
never ending pursuit of speed by some folks here. and even more so,
the suggestion that speed is the only criteria worth paying for..
silly.

You know fast also means it takes less effort at a given speed.
So merely saying we're silly because we bought a fast bike is a bit
daft. ;-)

And if you want a comfortable bike for commuting or city runabout
or whatever theres still loads of cheaper ones.

Mikael
20 nautical miles east of Iceland.

You're a bit daft if you suggest that "I" said you were silly for buying a
fast bike.
Old August 11th 03, 08:22 PM
Ian

Mikael Seierup must be edykated coz e writed:

"MLB" skrev

Of course it doesn't have to be fast. I find it tedious at times, the never
ending pursuit of speed by some folks here. and even more so, the
suggestion that speed is the only criteria worth paying for.. silly.

You know fast also means it takes less effort at a given speed.
So merely saying we're silly because we bought a fast bike is a bit daft. ;-)

And if you want a comfortable bike for commuting or city runabout
or whatever theres still loads of cheaper ones.

Mikael
20 nautical miles east of Iceland.

Mikael,

As a frequent visitor to Iceland, what is 20 nautical miles east of it,
other than water?

Ian

Old August 11th 03, 08:27 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Ian" skrev...

As a frequent visitor to Iceland, what is 20 nautical miles east of it,
other than water?

Ah yes. Would someone please send me a dinghy and some crackers?

M.
Tapdancing in Kuala Lumpur
Old August 11th 03, 08:31 PM
Ian

Mikael Seierup must be edykated coz e writed:

"Ian" skrev...

As a frequent visitor to Iceland, what is 20 nautical miles east of it,
other than water?

Ah yes. Would someone please send me a dinghy and some crackers?

M.
Tapdancing in Kuala Lumpur

Mikael,

That big white thing you have been living on isn't an iceberg, judging by
the heatwave in Iceland, (I go there a few times a year), your on the back
of Moby Dick, boy are you screwed.

Ian

Old August 11th 03, 09:04 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

'BentRider wrote:
Oh, I believe him, especially when he says he's not going to pay
$3000.00 for a Bigha. Who with any real experience with recumbent bikes
would? If you want a comfort bike, there are much cheaper ones. If you
want a performance bike, you can get far better for the cost. The Bigha
is designed for people who don't know anything about recumbents. That's
how it's being marketed, to the non-bicyclist.

This is interesting... I've never had to defend a review BEFORE I
wrote it.

Responding to one of your earlier posts... I've NEVER gotten a "free"
bike. Getting a bike for an ad trade is not getting a free bike.
That takes up space that I could use for someone else's ad that might
be paying cash. I rarely keep ad trade bikes. 'BentRider is a
business where I try to make a living. Not just a clever source to
get free bikes. Where the bike came from or what I'm doing with it
when I'm done has never influenced a review. I let my past reviews
speak for themselves.

As for if I personally would buy a BiGHA for the retail price... I'm
not looking to buy any CLWB at the moment so I probably would have
never ridden one or looked at it intensely in the first place if
didn't own 'BentRider. So no, I wouldn't have. However, now that
it's here I do like it enough to consider keeping it around for awhile
and not turning it into cash. Do I think that the bike is worth the
money for the right people? I've only been on it a week so the jury
is still out, but right now I'd say yes. If you're not satysfied with
that answer, I can't help you.

A more interesting direction for this topic is this question... Does
a $3000 recumbent HAVE to be fast? A lot of riders don't care a lick
about speed. Is BiGHA doing something wrong by targeting
non-cyclists? Is there any reason to think that non-cyclists BiGHA
buyers will be disappointed with their purchases? I'm not expressing
an opinion, just soliciting those of you on the newsgroup.

Does a comfort recumbent HAVE to cost $3000.00? Are there a lot of
riders who don't care a lick about cost? Is there any reason to think
that non-cyclists Bigha buyers will be disappointed when they find out
they could have bought a similar bike for half the cost?

Can someone who is dependent on getting free review bikes afford to give
bad reviews and cut off the supply? How many "don't buy this bike"
reviews have BentRiderOnline given? Can someone who's income depends on
ad revenue give an unbiased review?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Old August 11th 03, 09:31 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

MLB wrote:
"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in
:

skip wrote:

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message

snip

When someone pays full price and says it's well worth it, that will
be a review that I can believe. Otherwise, getting a free bike by
giving it a good review is pretty meaningless.

I've found if someone has just paid full price for an item they they
will always say it was well worth it - otherwise they would appear to
be foolish. Maybe the true test is to see if they the bike up for
sale three months later with 200 miles on it. That's a review of
sorts. Or ask them a year later what they think.

Generally I think I have a pretty good take on whether a review is a
ringer or not. For example, I would not bother to read one of
Martin (cant think of his last name) reviews because they seem to be
nothing more than shuck and jive for his latest sponsor neatly
interwoven into some cross country ride infomercial. I think I can
tell when a reviewer really likes a bike, doesn't like one, or is
just puffing. I trust the reviews on Bentrider on Line and Recumbent
Cyclist News to reflect the true opinions of their reveiwers. I know
Bob Bryant has written on this subject on several occasions and has
been very forthright in presenting his thoughts on the matter.

skip

Oh, I believe him, especially when he says he's not going to pay
$3000.00 for a Bigha. Who with any real experience with recumbent
bikes would? If you want a comfort bike, there are much cheaper ones.
If you want a performance bike, you can get far better for the cost.
The Bigha is designed for people who don't know anything about
recumbents. That's how it's being marketed, to the non-bicyclist.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

So why do you keep asking what experienced benter would pay 3k for
it??????????????

Because I'm wondering why so many reviewers are saying how great this
bike is even though they would never buy it themselves. It reminds me of
the Segway. Lots of great reviews because they sent out lots of review
units to people who they knew would give positive reviews, but no one,
not even the reviewers who say it's great, are buying the thing because
it costs such a ridiculous amount. Like the Segway, the Bigha is an
overpriced solution in search of a problem. Is there such a shortage of
slow heavy comfort bents that we need to pay $3000.00 for one?

Old August 11th 03, 11:03 PM
Larry Varney

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
MLB wrote:

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in
:

skip wrote:

[...]

I don't recall any reviewers saying how great the BigHA is. Can you
name the websites and/or magazines where you've seen these reviews?
And speaking of unbiased and/or negative reviews - have you read any
of the reviews on either http://www.bentrideronline.com or in Recumbent
Cyclist News? Were they all positive, glowing reports? Or were there
negative comments as well?
I have never seen a BigHA except in advertisements. Have you? You
seem to have a pretty negative opinion of it. Is it based solely on the
price, ride, handling, whatever? I'm interested in how you formulated
your opinion.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old August 11th 03, 11:07 PM
Edward Wong

MLB wrote in message .4.25...
that answer, I can't help you.

A more interesting direction for this topic is this question... Does
a $3000 recumbent HAVE to be fast? A lot of riders don't care a lick
about speed. Is BiGHA doing something wrong by targeting
non-cyclists? Is there any reason to think that non-cyclists BiGHA
buyers will be disappointed with their purchases? I'm not expressing
an opinion, just soliciting those of you on the newsgroup.

Of course it doesn't have to be fast. I find it tedious at times, the never
ending pursuit of speed by some folks here. and even more so, the
suggestion that speed is the only criteria worth paying for.. silly.

I agree with you on this. There seems to be a rabid obsession with
speed here and many here assume that most bent riders are. They're
wrong! I've done numerous rides with other recumbent owners who don't
give a "flying flip" about speed. They just want a comfortable ride
and enjoy themselves.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL
Old August 12th 03, 12:45 AM
BentHeadSWB

I've done numerous rides with other recumbent owners who don't give a "flying
flip" about speed. They just want a comfortable ride
and enjoy themselves.

I agree with Ed,
Setting speed records is something I used to do "back in the day" but now I
just ride to commute and enjoy the scenery. The HH100 is coming up in 12 days
and I will ride it, not race it.
I could cut the weight on my bent by quite a bit if I got ride of
suspension parts, comfort parts, racks, lights, durable wheels and kevlar
belted tires. Then I would have an equivalent of a wedgie that costs way, way,
way too much.
My bent is quick, my wife's EZ-1SC is what the neighborhood rides and wants
to purchase. The comfort folks like the CLWB and the racers want those low
racers. My full suspension 700/20, USS, SWB is stuck between the two, racer or
comfort. Just the way I like it.
Will Bigha fail? I have no idea, their bents are very expensive but have
a lot of cool things for people into comfort bents. I just want to see a
review that has a critical eye towards the Bigha, maybe someone can post one in
the future. Roadbikereview has a portion were recumbent reviews are posted,
who knows...one might show up there.
As far as speed, BROL and this NG goes... speed tends to creep into the
equation. BROL has their slant which I recognize (and discard) this NG has
it's particular flavor. I sort of miss Bob "RANS or nothing" Cardone and Tom
the Quad Cities guy always has a interesting quip to throw in on (off) topics.

If speed freaks ruled the recumbent market, why was the EZ-3 Trike the
hottest seller for a month or so? It could be that bent sales are driven by
comfort, price, durability and speed.

John H
Stayin' comfy in N TX