The Neanderthals: More Intelligent than Mountain Bikers!

Old September 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Mike Vandeman

Default The Neanderthals: More Intelligent than Mountain Bikers!

At 11:06 AM 9/21/03 -0400, a very smart friend wrote:

In a message dated 9/21/03 7:27:40 AM, writes:

Why do people go into mountain biking to
begin with?

..Easy. Their brains are small.

I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_).
Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 22nd 03, 06:52 PM
Chris Glidden

Mike Vandeman scrawled
.Easy. Their brains are small.

I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_).
Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?
Old September 22nd 03, 07:27 PM
lefty

Chris Glidden wrote:

Mike Vandeman scrawled
.Easy. Their brains are small.

I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's
Necklace_). Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

see the controversy surrounding "the blank slate"

basically there is a political struggle worthy of a vandeman surrounding
questions of (heritable) brain structure. the mass/size thing goes with
the old idea that brains are raw material shaped by environment and
culture.

it would be interesting to know what kind of folks neanderthals were, but i
don't think we will ... unless we manage to meet one.
Old September 23rd 03, 02:18 AM
Dave W

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:27:29 GMT, lefty
wrote:

Chris Glidden wrote:

Mike Vandeman scrawled
.Easy. Their brains are small.

I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's
Necklace_). Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

see the controversy surrounding "the blank slate"

basically there is a political struggle worthy of a vandeman surrounding
questions of (heritable) brain structure. the mass/size thing goes with
the old idea that brains are raw material shaped by environment and
culture.

it would be interesting to know what kind of folks neanderthals were, but i
don't think we will ... unless we manage to meet one.

we already have one here, thanks anyway...
Old September 23rd 03, 02:24 AM
its_stuart

I'd be happy to help create a wildlife habitat Mike. What I'll do is
bring a few friends with picks and shovels and make some tracks, killing
any pesky wildlife that gets in our way. Then my neanderthal friends and
I can make truly good use of this area. I'm all for the off-limits to
humans clause as we will be less likely to hit a hiker that way.

Cheers, A mountain biker

Old September 30th 03, 01:51 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 22 Sep 2003 10:52:02 -0700, (Chris Glidden) wrote:

..Mike Vandeman scrawled
.. .Easy. Their brains are small.
..
.. I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_).
.. Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
.. ===
.. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
.. humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
.. years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..
..
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..
..Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

Since the beginning of evolution.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 30th 03, 01:52 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 22 Sep 2003 10:52:02 -0700, (Chris Glidden) wrote:

..Mike Vandeman scrawled
.. .Easy. Their brains are small.
..
.. I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's Necklace_).
.. Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
.. ===
.. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
.. humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
.. years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..
..
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..
..Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

I'm glad to see that you admit it.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 30th 03, 04:55 PM
Chris Glidden

news

.
. I've just been reading about the Neanderthals (_The Neanderthal's

Necklace_).
. Even THEY had bigger brains than mountain bikers.
. ===
. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
. humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
. years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
.
.
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
.
.Since when is brain mass/size indicative of intelligence?

Since the beginning of evolution.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

I guess that explains why elephants are the dominant species on the planet.