Successful start for my unicycle class

Old October 14th 04, 05:29 PM
billham

Default Successful start for my unicycle class

As a part of my plan/goal to start a unicycle club in my area, I
submitted a proposal for a uni class to a small private school and a
local church in my area. Nothing developed at the school, but I worked
out arrangements with the church to teach unicycling in their gym. To
promote the class, my daughter and I took our unicycles and spent an
evening at a church function. We also rode in a parade last weekend
then I sat in a booth all day at the same festival Saturday and Sunday
to promote the class.

The class started this past Tuesday night and we had 5 people show up to
learn and 1 non-riding parent. I've also contacted our local paper and
next we'll have Tim M. joining us. He's a reporter from the paper and
is trying to get his uni paid for by the newspaper. That means he must
be planning to do an article on the class, or the people, or
something... Can't hurt to get a reporter hooked on the sport!

Info for the class members a
Bob (40+), Spencer (10), Calvin(12) - father and 2 sons
Bethany (10) and her non-riding mother
Chris - male (17)
Tim (guessing late 20s to early 30s)

For the first class students were using my unicycles and all have
ordered or will be ordering unicycles. Bob and Chris both rode about 10
- 15 feet each on their best ride. All the kids are still using a
person or 2 walking along side for balance, but progress for each is
obvious. All have been sucked into the sport and I have no doubt will
all be riding soon.

I also have another person who I will teach on the side since he is a
college student and has a Tues night class. His mother is a key person
and part time employee at the church. I know she is going be supportive
of my efforts to keep using the gym on a weekly basis after the class is
over on Nov 22nd.

My daughter was also at the class and was very generous in sharing her
unicycle and thus rode less. But she got in her share of riding,
especially on her new 20" unicycle that is replacing her 16" uni. She
is enjoying having other kids riding a unicycle with her.

The only negative of the whole evening was very little riding time for
me. BUT, I am gladly teaching them because I know it will be so much
fun to ride together as a gang in the future. I really do enjoy seeing
them smile as they learn to ride and celebrate their successes!

During the promotion of the class I have also met 2 other unicyclists
from the area, one adult and one high schooler. Another unicyclist from
the area I met recently via this forum (unidaddy) will be coming to ride
during the class also. So for some of the classes, we may have as many
as 10 people unicycling. I am used to riding by myself or with my
daughter. This is a very significant increase in unicyclists in the
area!

Next step is to work on keeping the gym open on a weekely basis and keep
our core group for a club. Lots of momentum here in Washington County.
I love it! I'll be keeping you posted.

Bill Hamilton

--
billham

Bound and determined to start a local unicycle club!
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old October 14th 04, 07:11 PM
s7ev0

Great stuff Billham!
Keep up that great missionary work among the non-unicyling world!
(and keep us posted on progress)

--
s7ev0 - level 1 and proud of it

s7ev0

Where there's a wheel there's a way
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old October 14th 04, 09:46 PM
underdog

Bravo Billham!! Great way to promote the sport. I hope others on this
forum will follow your example. I can see myself doing this one day if
I ever get to point where I can ride competently. Keep up the great
work!!

--
underdog - level 1 rider

'it isn't stealing if I wasn't going to buy it anyway'
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old October 15th 04, 02:09 AM
bugman

Good Luck Bill. Sounds like you are on your way to having a Club!

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ayn Rand

Old October 15th 04, 06:14 AM
unidaddy

So glad to hear the first class was such a resounding success! I can't
wait to be there Tuesday......got a new KH saddle and am eager to get my
hopping skills going. I've got the side mount more consistent, along
with a suicide mount or three under my belt (maybe crotch would be a
better word). I'm looking forward to the learning forum where we can
all have fun picking up skills and seeing the fresh riders light up with
the new sensation of gliding around on one wheel. Bill, you're
inspiring with your commitment to the sport and the enthusiasm you
devour it with is infectious.........Kudos to you!

--Bob

--
unidaddy - waiting for the first face plant
unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

Old October 15th 04, 06:18 AM
TheObieOne3226

Glad to hear everything is working out pretty much as you planned, Bill.
Good luck. Sounds like you'll have a healthy sized group soon.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Judge me by my size, do you?

[image: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4743/yodaweedresize.jpg]
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com

Old October 15th 04, 07:04 AM
harper

That is so cool, Bill. You're an evangelical unicycler. If you don't
have a group, form one. Good luck. You should post as Billy Graham from
now on.

--
harper - Fountainhead

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

"Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

Old October 15th 04, 04:50 PM
GILD

billham wrote:
* I sat in a booth all day at the same festival Saturday and Sunday to
promote the class. *

the rest of the stuff is hard work, but *that* takes dedication

well done!!

ps. have any of your new students joined this forum yet?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
-- Oscar Levant

'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

Old October 15th 04, 06:33 PM
Brian MacKenzie

Right on Bill, I'm glad it worked out for you!

The news coverage is great (and I got some riders from my own
newscovereage), but by far the most people who have contacted me about
the club have seen my card in the bike shops

Keep up the great work

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

Forthcoming DVD
Training Wheel Not Required:
'7mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer1.wmv)

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old October 16th 04, 11:52 AM
Tmornstar

Way to go Bill! When we started the MUC we had only 3 people! You
have a great core to work with! Great job!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

unicycle games James_Potter Unicycling 5 December 18th 08 03:46 AM
Unicycle ascent/descent of Mt. Evans - 14,264 feet gbarnes Unicycling 19 August 11th 04 02:48 AM
Crazy funny unicycle Joke. BLows my mind, WOW MAN..... Logan_A. Unicycling 1 March 22nd 04 02:21 AM
I Must Have The Best All Purpose Unicycle XWonka Unicycling 16 July 28th 03 03:42 AM