A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet??????

Old February 20th 05, 08:09 AM
G. Morgan

Subject: A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet??????
Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
= Mark Leuck = wrote:

Did you bother to pay attention at all? The OP mentioned how many deaths due
to war oil has caused

No ****head, the OP stated:

"
It sure is nice to know that a few people are
prepared for the $48. a barrel oil and are
laughing about it. Happy Presidents Day

It's a gas, gas, gas.......
"

Unless you can contribute to this debate in a civil manner.... hahahahah

nevermind.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Old February 20th 05, 08:14 AM
skip

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
= skip = wrote:

I donno - ARBR aint't dead yet??????, but a lot of people are.

If someone thinks a lot of people are dying in wars today they should look
to wars of the past to help put today's situation in perspective.

The OP started talking about oil prices. Granted, the OP mis-titled the
thread.
You got off on some tangent about war deaths, somehow affecting the
economy.

Also keep in mind that in the US we have legally aborted over
46,000,000

babies since Roe v. Wade (1973).

Site your source. Not that has any bearing on this conversation.

source is Google - Abortion statistics
bunch of web sites with statistics on abortions - easily found.

Here's a link if you prefer to only look at only one site:
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/abortionstats.html

If you think a lot of people are dying in war today keep in mind that we
are
legally aborting over a million babies a year in the US. This would be
another matter of death perspective..i.e. our number of war deaths last
year
vs. our number of babies legally aborted last year. One number is small -
the other number is large.

Skip----

I have no reason to dispute your statistics. But Why do you think this
thread
should go that way?

Typical Liberal ****!

---

Graham The Great!

Because Ed Dolan is gone and us liberals can do or say whatever we please
now.

skip
P.S. I know Ed Dolan and you're no Ed Dolan.

Old February 20th 05, 08:14 AM
G. Morgan

Newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
= Mark Leuck = wrote:

So what? What is you're point?

Well for one thing none of those wars were about oil

Do I think we need renewable sources of energy, yes!

Do I think we need to protect our current sources (oil), yes!

Does Jim make a scary point in the URL he posted? I think so.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Old February 20th 05, 08:22 AM
Mark Leuck

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message
At the last OPEC meeting the price per barrel was set at $55.00 per barrel
for 2005/2006,
this was set as the bare minimum, I think their calendar year kicks in
around June 2005 and yes I agree $100.00 should be the base price.
Expect a major price hike after Washington threatens to go ballistic on

Iran
and more car bombs light up the sky in Saudi Arabia...the mid-east is

about
to get very interesting,

Actually it appears to be calming down but we'll wait and see, if so many of
you think the price of gas is too low then why not pay more? I'm sure the
stations will accept the additional funds, and if so many of you believe
taxes are too low then why not write a bigger check to the government? My
bet is nobody does or will because deep down they really don't believe some
of the things they say

North American reaction of course will be to build
and buy bigger and more powerful automobile engines for the drive to Wal
Mart 200 miles away to take advantage of all those deep discount savings

on
stuff no longer made in America.

Most Wal Marts are within 10 to 20 miles, I don't know where you get 200, if
someone drives that far they are idiots

Interesting story last week, seems California and Oregon is looking at
taxing cars by miles driven, the reasoning however isn't what one thinks
since it seems so many people are buying hybrid cars then the state loses
money from gas taxes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Might be a bit premature to look into becoming hippie survivalists, but

then
again as the air we breath ends up on par with Mexico City and the only
really good jobs left in America include you asking if your customer wants
Fries with their burger...might not hurt to read up on planting a veggie
garden.

Jeez now your starting to sound like Sherman,Last jobs statistics I saw
indicated higher average wages not lower. I guess thats happens to "the
other guy"

Oh and as America becomes more interesting, expect the cost of tires to

rise
a few pennies and everything else we import goes up as fuel costs go

up
to get stuff to America.

The cost of tires will rise quite a bit more than a few pennies with $100
per barrel oil prices, I'd wager IF that were to happen the very same people
here crying about the low price of oil now will cry even more when
EVERYTHING they buy is doubled in price, you people who want these things
know not what you say

Nice thing about being old is you have learned to not get excited and take
all this global insanity in stride...if I was 30 years younger, I'd be
pretty ****ed & worried with the way the nation and the environment is

going
downhill.

I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to have heard a lot of the
doomsday scenarios you guys talk 20-30 years ago, call me someone with my
head in the sand but I've heard all of this before and seen none of it. What
people fail to understand time and time again is regardless what happens
people adapt to changes, there will be no mass devastation or panic due wars
because of oil running out since IF that were to happen we'd have adapted to
something else ages ago, the human race always does

Old February 20th 05, 09:23 AM
G. Morgan

= skip = wrote:

P.S. I know Ed Dolan and you're no Ed Dolan.

Compliment taken.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Old February 20th 05, 01:42 PM

Mark Leuck wrote:

Interesting story last week, seems California and Oregon is looking

at
taxing cars by miles driven, the reasoning however isn't what one

thinks
since it seems so many people are buying hybrid cars then the state

loses
money from gas taxes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Who ever started that story wasn't much interested in facts. It is
true that as miles driven have gone up 15% in CA, gas tax revenues,
adjusted for inflation, have gone down 8% over (IIRC) a 5 year period.
I have yet to see someone explain why. I think even the original story
did not blame hybrids, but was saying that CA would take away the
financial reward for driving them - not entirely true either, since the
hybrid driver would still be spending less on gas.

I think the decline in revenues is probably mostly because the
collection method did not have an adustment for inflation. That is a
lot easier to fix than by way of some complex system of cost per mile
with surcharges for rush hour travel. Not that a system like that will
never happen. IIRC CA already has some pay lanes on "free"ways. I
think that will mostly be about congestion, not falling gas tax
revenues.

I am guessing the tax is flat, per gallon. There are lot of other ways
to price that.

Old February 20th 05, 03:54 PM
Mark Leuck

= Mark Leuck = wrote:

So what? What is you're point?

Well for one thing none of those wars were about oil

Do I think we need renewable sources of energy, yes!

I never said we didn't, I'm talking about the chicken little mentality that
appears a lot of people have around here

Does Jim make a scary point in the URL he posted? I think so.

Big woop, someone is trying to sell another book

Old February 20th 05, 03:58 PM
Mark Leuck

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark Leuck wrote:

Interesting story last week, seems California and Oregon is looking

at
taxing cars by miles driven, the reasoning however isn't what one

thinks
since it seems so many people are buying hybrid cars then the state

loses
money from gas taxes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Who ever started that story wasn't much interested in facts. It is
true that as miles driven have gone up 15% in CA, gas tax revenues,
adjusted for inflation, have gone down 8% over (IIRC) a 5 year period.
I have yet to see someone explain why. I think even the original story
did not blame hybrids, but was saying that CA would take away the
financial reward for driving them - not entirely true either, since the
hybrid driver would still be spending less on gas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

My bad, hybrids were mentioned but not the prime cause

Old February 20th 05, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the URLs Jim. I am also very interested in EVs (I blame
Curries bike motors being so damn good) and reading all the ways how
big oil is intertwined with motors.

Those URLs made me think even further into the original 1974 bumper
sticker [SCREW THE ARABS:RIDE A BIKE] Makes me really wonder if
electric drive has a bit of a chance.

Next thing I'll hear about is how much oil it takes for delivery of
Alhambra water. ;-)

Old February 20th 05, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the story. The clear implication is that "efficiency" is
going to result in lower gas taxes. Seems to me that would be contered
by the fact that people are driving more. I have trouble seeing
efficiency as a bad thing and can't believe there aren't other ways to
tax that would not punish it, even marginally.

I have the feeling that the per mile tax is more about trying to
control congestion than it is about dwindling gas tax revenues.