Cycling Helmets Compulsory?

Old July 19th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.racing
_[_2_]

Default Cycling Helmets Compulsory?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:55:02 +0100, Nick wrote:

David Hansen wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:30:56 +0100 someone who may be Andy Key
wrote this:-

Let me put it this way: Formula 1 drivers and rally drivers wear
helmets, so of course you wear a helmet when you drive the Nissan down
to the shops... don't you?

Agreed. They also wear proper seat belts and fire resistant
clothing. I'm sure people driving to the shops would love to wear
all this. After all they wear it in car races.

It would also be interesting to see how many of the riders on the tour
would wear helmets if they were given a choice.

Won't happen.

They are paid advertising vehicles; the manufacture of cycle helmets must
be quite profitable (how much can 4 oz of styrofoam and a few bits of other
plastic cost, afterall) and money makes the rules.
Old July 19th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.racing
Peter Grange

wrote this:-

Let me put it this way: Formula 1 drivers and rally drivers wear
helmets, so of course you wear a helmet when you drive the Nissan down
to the shops... don't you?

Agreed. They also wear proper seat belts and fire resistant
clothing. I'm sure people driving to the shops would love to wear
all this. After all they wear it in car races.

It would also be interesting to see how many of the riders on the tour
would wear helmets if they were given a choice.

Won't happen.

They are paid advertising vehicles; the manufacture of cycle helmets must
be quite profitable (how much can 4 oz of styrofoam and a few bits of other
plastic cost, afterall) and money makes the rules.

Whilst I was in the USA last year I met someone who had worked for
Bell whilst one of the states (can't remember which) was proposing a
law to make helmet wearing compulsory. Bell had paid government
lobbyists working to ensure it happened. Profit rules!
Old July 21st 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.racing
Roger Thorpe[_4_]

_ wrote:

They are paid advertising vehicles; the manufacture of cycle helmets must
be quite profitable (how much can 4 oz of styrofoam and a few bits of other
plastic cost, afterall) and money makes the rules.

They seem quite cheap to me. You can get a passable hat for under a
tenner now. I seem to remember selling not-very-good ones for £32 in
1984. That'd be about £72 now.
Roger Thorpe

Cycling Helmets Compulsory? judith UK 12 July 24th 08 06:38 PM
Cycling Helmets Compulsory? judith UK 42 July 23rd 08 10:31 PM
Helmets are compulsory Tilly UK 373 July 6th 05 07:43 PM
Compulsory helmets for car drivers Glen F Australia 31 May 20th 04 05:43 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM