Tiagra shifter problem!

Old January 3rd 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phillip Potter

Default Tiagra shifter problem!

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Specialized Allez with a Tiagra rear (right hand)
shifter that has stopped working correctly. When I push on the
upshift lever (small one), both levers move. With come digital
contortion I have been able to hold the front shifter with my middle
finger and push the rear shifter with my index finger to get the
shift...

While searching on the internet I found that this may be the result of
a broken spring in the bowels of this shifter, but wonder if anyone
here can substantiate this or set me straight?

If the spring is broken, I am under the impression that it means the
end of the shifter as I know it... argh! I could be forced to do
something I don't want to do... buy another bike. This Allez has been
my buddy for over a decade and has thousands of miles on it, so I am
not thrilled to see it go.

Thanks for anything you can suggest...

Phil_in_CA
Old January 3rd 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 3-1-2012 19:50, Phillip Potter wrote:
[...]

get a can of your favorite solvent/lubricant and spray the sh@t out of
the innards. If that doesn't work toss it
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old January 3rd 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

m-gineering wrote:
[...]

I agree about the solvent treatment. That's the standard first step,
and it seems to usually work. I've successfully done that at least
twice for various friends. Second most common problem seems to be
near-broken cables, and replacing one usually isn't very difficult.

But I wouldn't toss the shifter if those steps didn't work, and I
certainly wouldn't junk the bike. I don't know if this is still good,
but here's a link to getting them repaired:
http://john-s-allen.com/blog/?p=333

And you could always search for used replacements.

If it were mine and the lube or cable tricks didn't work, I'd probably
start disassembling it, figuring it would be interesting, there's a
chance I could fix it, and there's little to lose. If I failed, I'd get
a used one. Or switch to bar-end shifters, of course.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 3rd 12, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

Phillip Potter schreef:
[...]

Buying a new bike is a bit dramatic don't you think? If a shifter is
broken and not repairable replace it. New or with a used one.

Lou
Old January 3rd 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 3-1-2012 21:20, Frank Krygowski schreef:

If it were mine and the lube or cable tricks didn't work, I'd probably
start disassembling it, figuring it would be interesting, there's a
chance I could fix it, and there's little to lose.

Good luck. Friend spent three frustrating evenings trying to put a
Ultegra 9 speed shifter back together. He finally managed it, but a few
weeks later it was broken again. Never do it again he said. He got a
cheap used one. Sure it can be entertaining but the succesrate is very low.

On the other hand for my refurbishing project of my Litespeed I took
apart, cleaned, relubed and put back together a Campy 10 speed Ergo
shifter in one hour and pretty straightforward. Good as new. Tomorrow I
do the other one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/OpknapbeurtLitespeedClassic

Lou
Old January 3rd 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil_in_CA

Thanks, Marten, Frank, and Lou,

First, I should say that I was doubtful that I could get a shifter (or
a set) to replace mine, but after I posted (and before I tried
Marten's suggestion of spaying the heck out of it) I got on ePay to
find that there are indeed replacements available! In the past, when
I had an old Cannondale, parts were hard to find, so I "assumed" that
that would be the case now... wrong!

Any way, I did a bit of dis-assembly and sprayed some Tri-flow into
it. I worked the levers a bunch and it did fix it! Maybe I dripped
some CytoMax Go Grape drink in there or something.... Good news is it
works again.

I might go back to ePay and get a replacement set for the eventual
failure that was most likely foreshadowed by this malfunction. Money
in the bank...

Thanks for your replies, and may you have the wind to your back in
2012!

Happy riding,
Phil

Old January 3rd 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 3-1-2012 21:20, Frank Krygowski schreef:

If it were mine and the lube or cable tricks didn't work, I'd probably
start disassembling it, figuring it would be interesting, there's a
chance I could fix it, and there's little to lose.

Good luck. Friend spent three frustrating evenings trying to put a
Ultegra 9 speed shifter back together. He finally managed it, but a few
weeks later it was broken again. Never do it again he said. He got a
cheap used one. Sure it can be entertaining but the succesrate is very low.

On the other hand for my refurbishing project of my Litespeed I took
apart, cleaned, relubed and put back together a Campy 10 speed Ergo
shifter in one hour and pretty straightforward. Good as new. Tomorrow I
do the other one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/OpknapbeurtLitespeedClassic

Entirely different universes; Ergo and 'other'.

Campagnolo Ergo are quick to rebuild, parts are cheap and
available everywhere. They're just like new with a rebuild
every few thousand miles.

Bill Cotton notwithstanding:
http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

We lesser humans just stay the heck out of STi shifters.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 3rd 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 04/01/12 07:58, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 3-1-2012 21:20, Frank Krygowski schreef:

If it were mine and the lube or cable tricks didn't work, I'd probably
start disassembling it, figuring it would be interesting, there's a
chance I could fix it, and there's little to lose.

Good luck. Friend spent three frustrating evenings trying to put a
Ultegra 9 speed shifter back together. He finally managed it, but a few
weeks later it was broken again. Never do it again he said. He got a
cheap used one. Sure it can be entertaining but the succesrate is very low.

On the other hand for my refurbishing project of my Litespeed I took
apart, cleaned, relubed and put back together a Campy 10 speed Ergo
shifter in one hour and pretty straightforward. Good as new. Tomorrow I
do the other one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/OpknapbeurtLitespeedClassic

I had the same success! And you get faster once you see how simply they
are.

--
JS.
Old January 3rd 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

James schreef:
[...]

Cleaning and relubing was the most time consuming part. Nothing was
broken or worn out. Reassembling took 10 minutes.

Lou