Enough!

Old October 2nd 08, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Enough!

I just want to talk about cycling but in the past few weeks it has
been more like a children's playground in here! I'moff to other forums
where people actually talk about bikes and don't argue and get upset
over people they have never met or care about. You lot are so sad. Get
a life!
Old October 2nd 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2 Oct, 09:49, John Gates wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 01:09:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I just want to talk about cycling but in the past few weeks it has
been more like a children's playground in here! I'moff to other forums
where people actually talk about bikes and don't argue and get upset
over people they have never met or care about. You lot are so sad. Get
a life!

Well said - a number of people here are actually worse than the
"trolls" they accuse of disrupting this group.

So true! Things have got very personal too. Where is the love I say!
We all ride bikes, lets enjoy and embrace that rather than having
silly hang ups and grudges against people who are essentially just
words on a screen to us.
Old October 2nd 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2 Oct, 10:42, bugbear wrote:
wrote:
You lot are so sad.

Actually, I think it's only 5-8 people
doing the flame war.

The rest of us sometimes mention bikes :-)

* *BugBear

That's true BugBear. I am of course not including you in this lot and
one must say sorry for not saying a thankyou to those who do. xx
Old October 2nd 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

I agree 100%. It's getting pretty bloody bad when the personal attack
threads outnumber even the watch spam!

I also agree that the "troll fighers" are at least as responsible as
the "trolls" they are trying to fight against. If you just ignore
them, maybe they won't go away, but they sure as hell will post alot
less!

Is there any hope for uk.rec.cycling, or is a moderated forum the only
solution for people like me who want to talk about cycling, with all
its pains and glories, and not get overwhelmed by childish bickering?

-Myra
Old October 2nd 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2 Oct, 11:26, Myra in Cambridge wrote:
I agree 100%. It's getting pretty bloody bad when the personal attack
threads outnumber even the watch spam!

I also agree that the "troll fighers" are at least as responsible as
the "trolls" they are trying to fight against. If you just ignore
them, maybe they won't go away, but they sure as hell will post alot
less!

Is there any hope for uk.rec.cycling, or is a moderated forum the only
solution for people like me who want to talk about cycling, with all
its pains and glories, and not get overwhelmed by childish bickering?

-Myra

I agree that the time is almost right for this group to become
moderated. Unless people take their petty arguments somewhere else, I
can't see a way of getting this group bacl on track.
Old October 2nd 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2 Oct, 11:52, Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:
I agree that the time is almost right for this group to become
moderated. Unless people take their petty arguments somewhere else, I
can't see a way of getting this group bacl on track.

It's an unmoderated usenet group thobut. *You can't just push a button
and make it "moderated"...

Learn to ignore the tosh and/or use a killfile or hand some
cyber-vandals a scalp.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch * * * * * * * * * *Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel***************44*1382*660111********ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital

Ignoring the tosh is quite hard when it intrudes upon real cycling
conversations. Once upon a time every thread led to an argument about
plastic hats, now it always leads to anti-car driver accusations.

Rather than ignore it, I think I will head for a forum where there is
some protection against this sort of thing. Who knows when a troll
might hit on me!!
Old October 2nd 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 03:26:31 -0700 (PDT)
Myra in Cambridge wrote:

I agree 100%. It's getting pretty bloody bad when the personal attack
threads outnumber even the watch spam!

I see very little commercial spam, because my NSP filters it. I see
very little of the trolling because my news client filters it. Even if
your news client doesn't have advanced filtering capabilities you can
just killfile the protagonists without missing too much, although if
you're stuck with Google Groups there's not a lot you can do apart from
skipping threads that get stupid.

I also agree that the "troll fighers" are at least as responsible as
the "trolls" they are trying to fight against. If you just ignore
them, maybe they won't go away, but they sure as hell will post alot
less!

Is there any hope for uk.rec.cycling, or is a moderated forum the only
solution for people like me who want to talk about cycling, with all
its pains and glories, and not get overwhelmed by childish bickering?

In its raw state the group has a lot of tedious crap in it ATM, but
filtered it's still relevant and usable - a few contributors have made
"I've had enough, I'm off" type posts, but for the rest of us it really
is business as usual with ride reports, technical queries etc.
Moderated groups are fine for some purposes but just don't work as well
for the sort of discussion that goes on here.