Repairing a transverse crack in a Columbus SL toptube?

Old January 24th 12, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Repairing a transverse crack in a Columbus SL toptube?

Hi.

I have a mid-1980's vintage Miele road bike with Columbus SL tubing.
The toptube has two horizontal openings in it for theentry and exit of
the internal rear brake cable housing. Unfortunately the toptube
hasdeveloped a crack that runs transversely from the openng at the
front end of the forward cable opening and goes almost all the way
around the top tube.

To replqce that toptube with another Columbus SL one would cost about
$275.00 at the only shop around here that's willing to repalce that
tube.

I have a friend who has a MIG welder. He says he can fill and smooth
that crack and the bike would be rideable again. He sayshe'd fill
those two holes for the cable housing and that I could runthe cable
along the top of the toptube. He took an indepth bicycle mechanic
repair course and is cetified.

I'd far prefer having the cable routed inside the frame so that I
don't have to be bothered with cable clamps when I have to carry the
bike.

In the opinion of the experts here who do or heve had such work done:

Will filling this crack using a MIG welder give a frame that's safe to
ride?

Can this be done without having to fill the holes where the rear brake
cable housing enters and exits?

Thanks and cheers
Old January 24th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 24-1-2012 12:39, Sir Ridesalot schreef:
[...]

I'm shocked! A steel frame that breaks? WTF ;-) Fortunately you can ride
to the first blacksmith in the middle of nowhere. He can repair your
frame so I'm told again and again.
Just kidding. If the frame has emotional value replace the whole tube
otherwise consider a cheap aluminum replacement. My 2 ct.

Lou

Old January 24th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 24, 11:39*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

This failure was showing with SL tubes inside 2 years. Get it patched
and forget about the internal routing, or get a thicker-walled tube
without the ticket price for SL. You've got to go with what you can
and I personally find either option I give as acceptable. Your
carrying system may have something to do with the failure, it's
generally best to stabilise the bike by the heavy gauge seat-pin using
nothing more than an inner-tube or toe0strap.
Old January 24th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

You should replace the tube. Example:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gth.html

A MIG patch is a temporary solution and will almost
certainly fail. $275 is a fair price for a lugged tube
replacement, neither at the high nor low extreme.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 24th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jan 24, 12:56*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

I meant carrying the bike on my shou,lder not a vehicle. How do you
stabilize a bike when you're carrying it on your shoulder? I just put
the top tube near the seat tube on my shoulder and sometimes hold the
front wheel when I'm really hurrying with it.

Thanks and cheers
Old January 24th 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jan 24, 1:52*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Andrew.

$275.00 to replace a single tube on a steel frame plus the cost of
painting it versus about $250.00 or so for a mail order aluminium
frame? I believe I'm beginning to see why aluminium frames are so
popular. Steel might be repairable but, in my opinion anyway, it's an
expensive proposition to do so.

I guess I'll just wait and get the top tube replaced when I have the
funds for it plus the ability to arrange rides to and from the
shopdoing the work. That shop's about 40 miles from me each way.

Thanks again and cheers
Old January 24th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/01/12 06:22, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

$275.00 to replace a single tube on a steel frame plus the cost of
painting it versus about $250.00 or so for a mail order aluminium
frame? I believe I'm beginning to see why aluminium frames are so
popular. Steel might be repairable but, in my opinion anyway, it's an
expensive proposition to do so.

I guess I'll just wait and get the top tube replaced when I have the
funds for it plus the ability to arrange rides to and from the
shopdoing the work. That shop's about 40 miles from me each way.

Thanks again and cheers

Where do you find a $250 Al frame?

--
JS.
Old January 24th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: I guess I'll just wait and get the top tube replaced when I have the
: funds for it plus the ability to arrange rides to and from the
: shopdoing the work. That shop's about 40 miles from me each way.
:
: Thanks again and cheers

:Where do you find a $250 Al frame?

That's an expensive aluminum frame.

--
sig 44
Old January 24th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 24, 7:16*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I thought you might have meant that after I sent. The only frame I
had a problem with shouldering was one (I still use) that has braze-on
cable stops on the underside of the top tube. I carry that bike in
hand with the weight on the pedal.
Old January 24th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 24, 11:38*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Indeed. If you want something for riding. Unlike steel frames of the
80s, most cheap alu frames are well made and straight, if a little
utilitarian. If the OP loves teh bike, fix it properly. I wouldn't
bother.