Freakin' Hikers

Old September 17th 03, 08:38 PM
T_Blood

Default Freakin' Hikers

Anyone ever had this problem? I share my trails with numerous hikers. I am
very conseriderate. I slow to their speed when passing and even apologize
when I accidently frighten them. I give plenty of warning when coming from
their rear to know I am there and am all around considerate. My last ride on
Monday I hit a killer fast downhill section I frequent and at the end of the
trail there was a section of tree limb stratigically placed to make a biker
wreck. I almost did and just made it around. I know this is a hiker because
last season he/or they placed numerous small limbs on the same section of
trail. This did nothing more than make the trail more technical and bumpy,
so this year I guess they decided to break bones and give concussions with
their obstacles.

I dismounted my bike and was actually praying this jerk off was still
around the area with all the adreneline from the run still pumping, and
removed the obstacle.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so what did you do to combat it?
Thanks...Mike

Old September 17th 03, 09:12 PM
James Calivar

"T_Blood" wrote in message
[...]

They're making the same mistake you are - blaming all of the opposite group
for the actions of one or a few. Cahnces are they have been nearly run over
by bikers not as considerate as you, and have decided that placing obstacles
in the path of all bikers might solve the problem. Of course, the opposite
effect has been realized - it made you want to go out and pound the sh*t out
of "those freakin' hikers."

I'm not sure what the solution is, other than to remove the obstacle and be
on your merry way.

Old September 17th 03, 09:28 PM
Mark Hainsworth

"T_Blood" wrote in message
[...]

You think that is bad? I lived in Vancouver, BC for most of my life and
have ridden the North Shore numerous times. Vigilante hikers actually go
throught the trail and sabotage the stunts so that people will hurt
themselves and then the city will shut the trails down because they are too
dangerous...

mark

Old September 17th 03, 11:35 PM
Justin Heyes-Jones

Mark Hainsworth wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

"T_Blood" wrote in message
[...]

That's not a common thing though is it? I used to live and ride round there
and I never heard anything about that.

Old September 18th 03, 12:48 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I dismounted my bike and was actually praying this jerk off was still
around the area with all the adreneline from the run still pumping, and
removed the obstacle.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so what did you do to combat it?

Some months ago, I took a 1/4" polypropelene line across the larynx.

A little faster and I think I'd have been a goner.
My workaround is to never go faster than I can see ahead.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 03, 04:04 AM
John Morgan

Anyone ever had this problem?

One thing "they" do here is litter a section of trail with cholla cactus
pieces (you know, the extremely sharp kind that jump off their branches when
disturbed), or they'll form a straight line of them across the breadth of
the trail so they are impossible to steer around. The trickiest is when
they line them up and then disguise them with some dirt on top.

-John Morgan
--
"I tried lube, careful prying, careful digging and even not so careful
digging. Little chunks of rubber." --Sad Bob

Old September 18th 03, 04:48 AM
deluxe

"John Morgan" wrote in message
Anyone ever had this problem?

One thing "they" do here is litter a section of trail with cholla cactus
pieces (you know, the extremely sharp kind that jump off their branches

when
disturbed), or they'll form a straight line of them across the breadth of
the trail so they are impossible to steer around. The trickiest is when
they line them up and then disguise them with some dirt on top.

Perhaps claymore mines will solve this pesky hiker problem. Anyone have a
few they can spare?

Old September 18th 03, 05:01 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:48:34 -0500, deluxe penned:

Perhaps claymore mines will solve this pesky hiker problem. Anyone have a
few they can spare?

How do you design them to be hiker-specific? Perhaps all alt.m-bers can
wear little RF ID tags?

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 18th 03, 05:43 AM
deluxe

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:48:34 -0500, deluxe penned:

Perhaps claymore mines will solve this pesky hiker problem. Anyone have

few they can spare?

How do you design them to be hiker-specific? Perhaps all alt.m-bers can
wear little RF ID tags?

They are manually triggered. We need a volunteer.

Old September 18th 03, 07:47 AM
XRchris

"Mark Hainsworth" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
You think that is bad? I lived in Vancouver, BC for most of my life and
have ridden the North Shore numerous times. Vigilante hikers actually go
throught the trail and sabotage the stunts so that people will hurt
themselves and then the city will shut the trails down because they are

too
dangerous...

I live in UK and have this problem on 1 trail in particular.

All you can do is continually report every incident of trail sabotage to
your local police. The file will get so large that they will have to look
into it. Especially if somebody is injured.