Thinking of Onix...

Old February 22nd 05, 03:01 AM
Duncan Farrow

Default Thinking of Onix...

So, I'm in the market for a new bike and have been looking quite
longingly at the Orbea Onix (full carbon) frame with Campag gear
hanging off it. There is surprisingly little in the way of
reviews to be found through Google. Does anyone have one of these
frames? Any strong opinions either way about them? I'm a big rider
(6'1" and over 95kg).

I've kind of decided it's what I want. I've ridden one and it feels
good but I'm being cautious and am seeking reasons for buying/not buying
this bike. I've got the jitters about laying out that much cash for
a bike although I've got a pretty good price from an LBS.

Cheers,
Duncan.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:34 AM
MikeyOz

Duncan Farrow Wrote:
So, I'm in the market for a new bike and have been looking quit
longingly at the Orbea Onix (full carbon) frame with Campag gea
hanging off it. There is surprisingly little in the way o
reviews to be found through Google. Does anyone have one of thes
frames? Any strong opinions either way about them? I'm a big ride
(6'1" and over 95kg)

I've kind of decided it's what I want. I've ridden one and it feel
good but I'm being cautious and am seeking reasons for buying/no
buyin
this bike. I've got the jitters about laying out that much cash fo
a bike although I've got a pretty good price from an LBS

Cheers
Duncan.

sounds like you have already decided

I had the jitters about spending what I thought was a lot of money a
well, but I know what it will be taking through this year. I ride a lo
and it simply is the best thing for my riding that I have ever done,
out grew my old bike in terms of riding ability

the only thing I might add, have you tested at least a few simila
bikes, your reaction to the bike of it is good, does not sound o
over-powering enthusiasm.

when I rode the bike I ended up buying, it felt just unbelieveable i
just "felt" like everything I wanted.

you wont regret it though

--
MikeyO

Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy bein
active, whenever possible in any form.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:56 AM
Brett

Duncan Farrow wrote:

So, I'm in the market for a new bike and have been looking quite
longingly at the Orbea Onix (full carbon) frame with Campag gear
hanging off it. There is surprisingly little in the way of
reviews to be found through Google. Does anyone have one of these
frames? Any strong opinions either way about them? I'm a big rider
(6'1" and over 95kg).

Haven't ridden one, but have a mate with one and he loves it. He is a
bit shorter than you though. They sure are nice looking machines...

I've kind of decided it's what I want. I've ridden one and it feels
good but I'm being cautious and am seeking reasons for buying/not buying
this bike. I've got the jitters about laying out that much cash for
a bike although I've got a pretty good price from an LBS.

What else have you ridden to compare it with?

--
Brett
Old February 22nd 05, 08:31 AM
Duncan Farrow

Brett wrote:

Duncan Farrow wrote:

[...]

That's the nub of my difficulty, nothing as yet. For the price, the
only comparable machines are the Giants (although they are a bit
cheaper) and they do not get a good rap for stiffness. I also
considered the Specialized Robaix but a friend of mine snorted through
his nose at that! I did flirt with Eddy Merckx but ultimately baulked
at the price. Same for Colnago and Look. As far as test rides are
concerned, I'm finding it pretty difficult to find bikes of that
quality, in my size built up and on the floor to test. Even the Onix I
took out belonged to one of the guys at the shop (which, is a
recommendation in itself - especially as his other bike is $12k Look).

My current bike is an all steel (Columbus Thron) 60cm with Veloce gear
and (now) Sirocco wheels. Still a nice bike but heavier than the Orbea
and I think, based on my brief ride of the Onix, not as stiff.

No-one has given me a reason for not going for it! The bang-for-buck
factor seems pretty good and, as you say, it's a good looking bike.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Old February 22nd 05, 09:02 AM
adam85

Duncan Farrow Wrote:
So, I'm in the market for a new bike and have been looking quite
longingly at the Orbea Onix (full carbon) frame with Campag gear
hanging off it. There is surprisingly little in the way of
reviews to be found through Google. Does anyone have one of these
frames? Any strong opinions either way about them? I'm a big rider
(6'1" and over 95kg).

I've kind of decided it's what I want. I've ridden one and it feels
good but I'm being cautious and am seeking reasons for buying/no
buying
this bike. I've got the jitters about laying out that much cash for
a bike although I've got a pretty good price from an LBS.

Cheers,
Duncan.

They're a classy looking bike.

Did you see the review of it in the Nov/Dec 04 Bicycling Australia mag
(it had Ryan Bailey on the cover). They said the frame tubes ar
different profiles and weaves than the Orca (1000g) so it weighs 1200
and rides differently. All up weight of the Ultegra version was 7.9k
without pedals. The reviewer thought it felt very light and stiff
climbed and sprinted very well, but didn't rave about it's vertica
compliance and complained about the hit from bigger bumps.

If you want I could scan it in for you.

Ada

--
adam85

Old February 22nd 05, 12:13 PM
Duncan Farrow

adam85 wrote:
Duncan Farrow Wrote:

So, I'm in the market for a new bike and have been looking quite
longingly at the Orbea Onix (full carbon) frame with Campag gear
hanging off it. There is surprisingly little in the way of
reviews to be found through Google. Does anyone have one of these
frames? Any strong opinions either way about them? I'm a big rider
(6'1" and over 95kg).

I've kind of decided it's what I want. I've ridden one and it feels
good but I'm being cautious and am seeking reasons for buying/not
buying
this bike. I've got the jitters about laying out that much cash for
a bike although I've got a pretty good price from an LBS.

Cheers,
Duncan.

They're a classy looking bike.

Did you see the review of it in the Nov/Dec 04 Bicycling Australia mag?
(it had Ryan Bailey on the cover). They said the frame tubes are
different profiles and weaves than the Orca (1000g) so it weighs 1200g
and rides differently. All up weight of the Ultegra version was 7.9kg
without pedals. The reviewer thought it felt very light and stiff,
climbed and sprinted very well, but didn't rave about it's vertical
compliance and complained about the hit from bigger bumps.

If you want I could scan it in for you.

Adam

Adam, that's a generous offer and given the urgency I'm feeling about
putting in an order I'll take you up on it! E-mail is
d dot farrow (at) murdoch dot edu dot au

I'd be interested to see what wheels are on the test bike. I recently
replaced 36 hole ambrosio-balance rims/veloce hubs wheels
with scirocco and the difference in the ride was considerable,
especially in the stiffness and "feeling the road". Cornering felt much
better.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Old February 22nd 05, 10:56 PM
adam85

Duncan Farrow Wrote:

Duncan Farrow Wrote:

Adam, that's a generous offer and given the urgency I'm feeling about
putting in an order I'll take you up on it! E-mail is
d dot farrow (at) murdoch dot edu dot au

I'd be interested to see what wheels are on the test bike. I recently
replaced 36 hole ambrosio-balance rims/veloce hubs wheels
with scirocco and the difference in the ride was considerable,
especially in the stiffness and "feeling the road". Cornering fel
much
better.

Cheers,
Duncan.

No worries I'll shoot it off tonight. The test bike came with Shiman
R550 wheels, which are better than the R540s but still fairly heavy
The campag version has Vento G3 wheels - I don't know what they ar
like. I see in the states they get a couple of different colours an
wheel options (including chorus american classic 350 wheels, kysrium
etc). I'm considering a new bike at the moment, might go and check ou
on Onix as well.

Ada

--
adam85

Old February 23rd 05, 12:56 AM
Duncan Farrow

adam85 wrote:

Duncan Farrow Wrote:

Duncan Farrow Wrote:

Adam, that's a generous offer and given the urgency I'm feeling about
putting in an order I'll take you up on it! E-mail is
d dot farrow (at) murdoch dot edu dot au

I'd be interested to see what wheels are on the test bike. I recently
replaced 36 hole ambrosio-balance rims/veloce hubs wheels
with scirocco and the difference in the ride was considerable,
especially in the stiffness and "feeling the road". Cornering felt
much
better.

Cheers,
Duncan.

No worries I'll shoot it off tonight. The test bike came with Shimano
R550 wheels, which are better than the R540s but still fairly heavy.
The campag version has Vento G3 wheels - I don't know what they are
like. I see in the states they get a couple of different colours and
wheel options (including chorus american classic 350 wheels, kysriums
etc). I'm considering a new bike at the moment, might go and check out
on Onix as well.

Adam

The bike I rode had Centaur with Sirocco wheels, an upgrade from the
standard Ventos. The Ventos are heavier (by 170g) and don't have the
deeper section of the Siroccos. The set up I'm looking at is upgrading
to Chorus groupset and Zonda wheels, to save some weight and to get some
more carbon on view! Zondas have had great reviews wherever I've
looked, ksyrium elites seem to have the occasional poor review. I'd be
interested to hear your impressions of the bike.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Old February 23rd 05, 08:03 AM
Yuri Budilov

I also considered the Specialized Robaix but a friend of mine snorted
through his nose at that! "

I beg to differ:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...ed_roubaix_pro

http://roadbikereview.com/latest-bik...3_5668crx.aspx

http://roadbikereview.com/latest-bik...6_5668crx.aspx

I am so far happy with my (2005 Roubaix Comp) also but it is early days yet

Orbea Onix should be a great bike also if road tests are to be believed.