Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system

Old August 6th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
hizark21

Default Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.
Just remember all it takes is once so short out system and you are out
a bunch of money. This was my main complaint with the Mektronic
system. The good thing is that Shimano has managed to keep the battery
to a fairly small size.

Old August 7th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:42:01 -0700 (PDT), hizark21
wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

Old August 7th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
dave a

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

No, but I've ridden in rain that wasn't much different.

/dave a
Old August 7th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
William Asher

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

You mean you've never filled the bathtub with water and ridden rollers in
the tub to give yourself just a little better workout from the extra
resistance?

If you add Mr. Bubble to the water beforehand, well, let's just say that
resistance training doesn't have to be boring.

--
Bill Asher
Old August 7th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

No, but I've ridden in rain that wasn't much different.

Oh I didn't realize riding in the rain is almost the same as immersing
the part. Thanks for that info.
Old August 7th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 7 Aug 2008 00:22:58 GMT, William Asher wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

You mean you've never filled the bathtub with water and ridden rollers in
the tub to give yourself just a little better workout from the extra
resistance?

No, but that does soun fun.
Old August 7th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Fred Fredburger[_3_]

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

I did once. It wasn't on purpose.
Old August 7th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
hizark21

Yes I have trained and ridden on several occasions where the
derailleur was immersed in water. There was also several times where
this has happened in the TDF as well.

Old August 7th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

Dear John,

Until they fixed the storm drains in the City Park, I dunked my bottom
bracket and derailleur a few times every summer after heavy rains.
They finally got tired of hauling dead cars out of the hundred-foot
puddle and pumping all the water into the nearby pond, so things are
better now.

Until they fine-tuned the discharge from the Pueblo Dam, I dunked my
derailleur (but not bottom bracket) for about a week every summer,
just past the "Caution: Path May Be Under Water" sign.

Today and yesterday I went early enough to avoid the thunderstorms and
didn't even get soaked.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 7th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,

wrote:

Shimano Dura ace electronic shifting system
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...2008/features/
dura_ace_di2_aug08 )

It's interesting concept, but I am waiting to see if either Shimano's
or Campagnolo's electronic rear derailur will withstand a full
immersion test. This may seem a bit extreme, but there is
circumstances where a rider is forced to ride through deep puddles.

Have you ever, in a road race or in training for road racing, ridden
through a puddle so deep your derailleur was under water?

Does cyclocross count? If so, yes.

And I say it counts.

BTW, the brains of the outfit is in the front derailer.