Front Brake LH or RH?

Old September 23rd 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front Brake LH or RH?

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 23rd 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 15:55:59 UTC+2 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Well the British wanted to be on their own. Here you are. Good decision!

Lou
Old September 23rd 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers
Old September 23rd 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

Lou
Old September 23rd 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 23/09/2020 14.55, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Pedal Bicycle Safety Regulations 2010 Regulation 4. This isn't going to
help, but I might as well try up front, this is about the *supply* of
bicycles. Notice that somebody is 10 years behind the times, and is
probably more concerned over

a) Near parity EUR/GBP
b) Import duty
c) Other import tariffs

and has found a convenient excuse. PBSR is easily bypassed.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/4/made

Supply of assembled bicycles

4.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person must not supply a bicycle
unless the requirements of paragraphs (3) to (12) of this regulation are
satisfied.

(2) This regulation does not apply to the supply of a bicycle with
unassembled parts (whether wholly or partially).

(3) The bicycle must be fitted with a bell which is of a category
intended for use on bicycles.

(4) Where the bicycle is fitted with brakes which are intended to be
hand operated—

(a)the brake lever intended to be operated by the right hand must
operate the front brake; and

(b)the brake lever intended to be operated by the left hand must operate
the rear brake.

(5) Retro reflective material or a retro reflector (or a combination)
must be attached to, or incorporated in, the front wheel or tyre so that
light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle.

(6) Subject to paragraph (7), retro reflective material or a retro
reflector (or a combination) must be attached to, or incorporated in,
the rear wheel or tyre so that light is capable of being reflected to
both sides of the bicycle.

(7) To the extent that the requirement in respect of light in paragraph
(6) cannot be satisfied by virtue of the design of, or the equipment
fitted to, a bicycle, a retro reflector may be fitted to the frame of
the bicycle in order to satisfy (on its own or in combination with
material or another reflector fitted in accordance with paragraph (6))
that requirement.

(8) Any retro reflector attached to, or incorporated in, a wheel for the
purpose of paragraph (5) or (6) must be a wide angle reflector.

(9) No retro reflective material or retro reflector may be fitted for
the purpose of paragraph (5), (6) or (7) if the fitting of the material
or reflector would contravene Part 2 of the Lighting Regulations
(regulations governing the fitting of lamps, reflectors, rear markings
and devices).

(10) The bicycle must be fitted with—

(a)a wide angle retro reflector to the front; or

(b)a lamp to the front,

which is fitted in accordance with the requirements of the Lighting
Regulations relating to an optional front retro reflector or an
obligatory front lamp (as the case may be).

(11) A wide angle retro reflector must be fitted to the rear of the
bicycle in a manner which complies with the requirements of the Lighting
Regulations relating to an obligatory rear retro reflector.

(12) A retro reflector must be fitted to each of the pedals of the
bicycle in a manner which complies with the requirements of the Lighting
Regulations relating to an obligatory pedal retro reflector.

(13) In this regulation, “the Lighting Regulations” means—

(a)in respect of the supply of a bicycle in Great Britain, the Road
Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989(1); or

(b)in respect of the supply of a bicycle in Northern Ireland, the Road
Vehicles Lighting Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2000(2).

(14) An expression used in the Lighting Regulations has the same meaning
in this regulation as in those Regulations.

(15) For the purposes of this regulation, regulation 4(3) of the
Lighting Regulations (which provides for an exemption for certain
vehicles from any requirement to fit a lamp or reflector between sunrise
and sunset that would otherwise be imposed under the Lighting
Regulations) is to be disregarded.

(16) In this regulation, a reference to a reflector being “wide angle”
is a reference to that device providing reflex reflection through
horizontal entrance angles of not less than 50°, on either side of the
reference axis.

(17) Subject to paragraph (18), the prohibition in paragraph (1) applies
also to a person—

(a)offering to supply a bicycle;

(b)agreeing to supply a bicycle;

(c)exposing a bicycle for supply; or

(d)possessing a bicycle for supply;

where at the time of offering or agreeing to supply the bicycle, or
exposing or possessing the bicycle for supply, the requirements in
paragraphs (3) to (12) are not satisfied.

(18) Paragraph (17) does not apply where the person has measures in
place to ensure that when the bicycle is supplied, the requirements of
paragraphs (3) to (12) are satisfied.

Old September 23rd 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 23/09/2020 15.35, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April,
1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the
brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

For hydraulic brakes I would say it is. In cabbage land I am forever
cutting hoses and swapping them.
Old September 23rd 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/23/2020 10:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

My guess is that for cable operated brakes it's usually pretty easy. For
hydraulics, maybe not. But then, I've never worked on hydraulic brakes.

What's ludicrous is the legal requirement for brake lever placement.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 23rd 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 10:59:06 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

Lou

I meant that the bicycle shop in the UK that brings in the bikes. Would it be that hard for them to switch the brake levers?

Cheers
Old September 23rd 20, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 17:55:19 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 10:59:06 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

Lou

I meant that the bicycle shop in the UK that brings in the bikes. Would it be that hard for them to switch the brake levers?

Cheers

Rose/Canyon sell their bikes directly to the consumer.

Lou
Old September 23rd 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

Methinks the logic behind the front brake on the right hand lever is
that for a right handed person, the right hand is stronger. Therefore,
such a person is more likely fly over the handlebars by applying
braking pressure first and strongest to the front brakes. Somehow,
that doesn't seem like a good idea.

In early college, I had a problem. I managed to injure my left hand
sufficiently that my left hand grip was much less than my right hand.
The result was that I was braking with only the front brakes. I never
managed to fly over the handlebars, but did have a problem braking
downhill and in a turn. So, I switched cables so that my stronger
right hand would operate the rear brakes. That worked reasonably well
for about 2 years until my left hand healed (after minor surgery). I
switched brake cables back to the standard locations mostly to
strengthen my left hand and so I could ride on borrowed bicycles.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D