Front Brake LH or RH?

Old September 23rd 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front Brake LH or RH?

On 9/23/2020 9:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

The meaning of 'highly skilled' and 'excessive shop time'
may have changed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 23rd 20, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 23/09/2020 17.15, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 17:55:19 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 10:59:06 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

Lou

I meant that the bicycle shop in the UK that brings in the bikes. Would it be that hard for them to switch the brake levers?

Cheers

Rose/Canyon sell their bikes directly to the consumer.

I pulled up from that point as I wasn't sure. In that case I suspect
that 10 year old legislation isn't their issue as they could sell their
bikes, as they do, in a box, and it is therefore a kit bike, and not
subject to the legislation. Which is what they do in Germany to avoid
that nonsense.
Old September 23rd 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

What nonsense exactly do they need to avoid in Germany?

And to keep it a kit in UK, wouldn't it be sufficient to put the bell in a
plastic bag taped to the handlebar?
Old September 23rd 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:33:09 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 15:55:59 UTC+2 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Well the British wanted to be on their own. Here you are. Good decision!

Right on. They need to overthrow their EU left-front-brake overlords.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 23rd 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/23/2020 3:17 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
[...]

I don't know German, British or EU regulations. I suspect
that some who think they understand the Byzantine rules don't.

We at one time imported mid price bicycles in some
reasonable volume (550 sets in a 40-ft, every few weeks in
season) such that expense management became more important.
Then, as now, we remove cranks and crank bearing to begin
a bike assembly. Old guys here will remember that almost all
RH bearing cups were loose from the assembly contractor. So,
I had the bright idea to ship bicycles packed mostly as
usual except crank & BB boxed, like the pedals. Saves time!

The humorless nabobs at US Customs ruled that it was then a
collection of 'Bicycle Parts' 14.5% and a Bicycle Crank
Set(duty free[1]) instead of a 'Bicycle' at 5%. Ouch.

[1]Down to today, chainrings are relatively expensive
compared to a whole new crankset.

Old September 23rd 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:35:08 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

I see that you're just as bright today as every day.
Old September 23rd 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 7:59:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Cheers

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

Lou

The front and back rim brakes are reversible so that you can have a correct run of the the cables. Disks aren't nearly the problem . I guess they don't want to design a universal brake line routing setup.
Old September 23rd 20, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:59:04 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/23/2020 9:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

The meaning of 'highly skilled' and 'excessive shop time'
may have changed.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

What goes through my mind is a brit, used to the right hand front brake trying to ride a bike set up for any other country.
Old September 23rd 20, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 23.09.2020 um 23:44 schrieb Tom Kunich:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:59:04 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/23/2020 9:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

The meaning of 'highly skilled' and 'excessive shop time'
may have changed.

What goes through my mind is a brit, used to the right hand front brake trying to ride a bike set up for any other country.

Actually, I used "front brake right" even before moving from Germany to
UK.

Now, 25 years after leaving UK is the first time I actually bought a
"front brake left" bike without changing it to "front brake right".
I'm not having any problems.

Old September 24th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/23/2020 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

I think that's far from ideal. Except for the slowest paved road
flatland riding, it's very valuable to be able to control the two brakes
individually. I'm not sure what that company is doing with a variable
reservoir, but their adjustment probably can't be made instantaneously
while riding.

Methinks the logic behind the front brake on the right hand lever is
that for a right handed person, the right hand is stronger. Therefore,
such a person is more likely fly over the handlebars by applying
braking pressure first and strongest to the front brakes. Somehow,
that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Hmm. That sounds like the logic behind NOT having the right lever
actuate the front brake.

I have all my brakes set up for left lever actuating the front brake.
Fewer bends and a shorter cable mean less wasted force and motion for
the front brake, so the typically weaker left hand is fine for that
duty. But I am fairly ambidextrous, so YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski