New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

Old September 24th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 24th 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Old September 24th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?
Old September 24th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/24/2020 10:37 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is
that not illegal?

Probably. Ring 911 to ask for more police?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-911.html

Old September 24th 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/24/2020 12:00 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?

I can see good reasons police are allowed to exceed the speed limit in a
pursuit situation. That doesn't justify cops violating any law they like
any time they like.

I've witnessed cops in patrol cars violating red lights apparently at
will - no speeding involved, no warning lights, no indication it was any
official business.

I'm pretty sympathetic to cops, but they shouldn't be using their
position to break the law for their own convenience.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 20, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/24/2020 12:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 10:37 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights?Â* Is
that not illegal?

Probably. Ring 911 to ask for more police?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-911.html

Similar to that incident: One friend of mine lives on a lot of wooded
rural acreage. He has "No Hunting" signs posted.

He got wind of a hunter on his property and walked out to confront the
guy. As he told me, the hunter's attitude was threatening. He pointed
his gun at my friend and asked "What are you going to do about it?"

My friend faced him down, saying something like "You're not going to
shoot me." But I think that takes extraordinary courage. I'd certainly
have called the cops.

And about the "Defund" movement: ISTM that many, if not most, of those
saying that are not saying police forces should be abolished, or that
criminals should be given free rein (although I suppose there are
radical libertarians). They are instead proposing that other agencies
handle encounters that don't require an armed man in uniform.

As to radical libertarians: I suppose people who frequently say "laws
don't work, legalize everything" must be very much in favor of
abolishing police forces. I'm not one of those people.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/24/2020 11:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?

Technically they can run stop signs/stop lights and blow
speed limits, go wrong-way and so on only when the red
lights are rolling.

(or blue lights or whatever in your area)

Old September 24th 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 9:54:58 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 11:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?

Technically they can run stop signs/stop lights and blow
speed limits, go wrong-way and so on only when the red
lights are rolling.

(or blue lights or whatever in your area)

In the olde days, you had to have a solid red front facing light and a siren to be going "Code 3." Some cop in a suburb of SJ gave me a ticket for lighting it up, going through an empty intersection with no siren in the middle of the night. What a DF. Why make a bunch of noise for nothing. We were cancelled four blocks down the road, switched off the lights and got pulled over. I think the guy was convinced we were just running lights to beat him to the all-night doughnut shop. When we gave him the call number and convinced him that we had been dispatched and cancelled (this suburb was not on the combined county dispatch system), he still gave us a ticket because he didn't like the way the ambulances were behaving in his town. In SJ, you got a pass unless you ran someone over. For SMS, this was Campbell in the '70s. Barney Fife-ville.

In SJ at 3AM, we treated red traffic lights like stop signs, and so did the cops. It was totally illegal, but ignored.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 24th 20, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 9:54:58 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 11:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?

Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?

Technically they can run stop signs/stop lights and blow
speed limits, go wrong-way and so on only when the red
lights are rolling.

(or blue lights or whatever in your area)

If you actually search using Google to see what the laws actually are you cannot find it. This is because the police are immune to traffic laws. Not just running lights and stop signs but any other traffic law. This is nothing but another leftist tool to try and convince people that the police are subject to the same laws as everyone else and that it is cheating that they are doing to chase criminals.
Old September 24th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/24/2020 12:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

au contraire.

Typical statutes for who may have such equipment:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...es/347/II/25/1

and what one might legally do while equipment is activated
and under what conditions:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tutes/346/i/03

I didn't look at California specifically but the general
principles are from the UVC of the 1920s.

I'm sure local exceptions exist, but these laws are
relatively uniform across States and of long standing.
Recent amendments for oscillating hi-low motorcycle
headlamps, red+blue official vehicle flashers or red blinky
bicycle tail lamps are minor technical details, not
wholesale revisions.